Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Seriously deluded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - SOLD - UPDATE

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I waited patiently to have a go at the Hagstrom J45 copy, thought I would have a stab at £90 seeing as it had a snapped neck..
    Oh how wrong I was
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Jackobean said:
    Shill bidding there for certain.

These are excellent guitars - every one I’ve played has been very resonant and great-sounding... for £500-£600.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Jackobean said:
    Shill bidding there for certain.

These are excellent guitars - every one I’ve played has been very resonant and great-sounding... for £500-£600.
    Agreed, that's what i'd pay for one. But most of the recent sold examples on Reverb have gone for at least double that.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1783
    ronnyb said:
    I've collected strat plus's and watched prices for a few years now. Prices are creeping up, particularly for the rarest colours and the very early ones which that is. Graffiti yellow isn't the rarest colour but probably the most desirable and there are some fakes about. I wouldn't be surprised to see that selling for up to £2k including the fees.  

You saw it here first.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    This is a typical example @guitars4you ; of what happens to guitars from the G+H auction. This Strat was £1600 plus fees.....and now its £4800 from 'Lee' in Basingstoke. Lee bless him knows zilch about the guitar and even invites experts to tell him answers (that's me btw and I'm not telling him squat) regardless of his obvious lack of guitar retail skills, photography and knowledge of early Custom Shop guitars (yes Lee it did come with a COA in 1989....I have one) he's decided it should be worth two and a bit times what he paid for it....lol. Classic. 

https://reverb.com/item/37730046-custom-shop-fender-stratocaster-1989-vintage-blonde

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    This is a typical example @guitars4you ; of what happens to guitars from the G+H auction. This Strat was £1600 plus fees.....and now its £4800 from 'Lee' in Basingstoke. Lee bless him knows zilch about the guitar and even invites experts to tell him answers (that's me btw and I'm not telling him squat) regardless of his obvious lack of guitar retail skills, photography and knowledge of early Custom Shop guitars (yes Lee it did come with a COA in 1989....I have one) he's decided it should be worth two and a bit times what he paid for it....lol. Classic. 

https://reverb.com/item/37730046-custom-shop-fender-stratocaster-1989-vintage-blonde

crazy - How/why would anyone come up with such a value - You could order the same spec guitar today, if required and still have change from £4800 and that is even at today's new higher CS prices
  • Strat54 said:

crazy - How/why would anyone come up with such a value - You could order the same spec guitar today, if required and still have change from £4800 and that is even at today's new higher CS prices

But that's the way Reverb works - throw whatever you like on there, at whatever price you like, leave "Offers" as an option, see what you get, then reduce it incrementally when it doesn't sell (quelle surprise!)

Meanwhile, every other tw*t who thinks they can make a few bob looks at the OTT price and decides that's what theirs is worth...and so the cycle continues. :angry: 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15278
    Meanwhile, every other tw*t who thinks they can make a few bob looks at the OTT price and decides that's what theirs is worth...and so the cycle continues. :angry: 
    Indeed.

There is a shop near me that trades almost entirely in pre-owned gear. They have admitted setting their prices by eBay, Reverb and Gumtree starting prices. Unfortunately, the shop never seems to get around to affixing price tags to anything. (Trading standards, be damned!) The only thing I have ever bought from there was a pedal.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Indeed.

There is a shop near me that trades almost entirely in pre-owned gear. They have admitted setting their prices by eBay, Reverb and Gumtree starting prices. Unfortunately, the shop never seems to get around to affixing price tags to anything. (Trading standards, be damned!) The only thing I have ever bought from there was a pedal.
    There is a strong element now that such sites are the 'price bible' - I find many will now call me offering me such n such for sale - I ask what is their selling price, only to be told of how 'high' they have seen that guitar for sale on that site - Always quoting a high asking price 

Reverse of that is when a potential buyer wishes to make you a 'silly offer' it is based on how cheap they have seen one for sale on that site - Forgetting it might be basterdised, poor condition, no case, etc so not as clean as your offering 

In some ways you can't blame potential sellers looking at such sites - After all most big retailers are not hot on used gear, especially on used gear over 10/20/30 years old and vintage - So these sites tend to have the largest offering of used gear - But the reverse of this is as you say, one chancer, goes way above the current asking price/sensible price and this new price then can become the norm
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    guitars4you said:

There is a strong element now that such sites are the 'price bible' - I find many will now call me offering me such n such for sale - I ask what is their selling price, only to be told of how 'high' they have seen that guitar for sale on that site - Always quoting a high asking price
    To be fair, it's nothing new. I have a friend who was constantly paying way over the odds for guitars by basing what they're "worth" on what some dealer or other was *advertising* similar ones for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    guitars4you said:

To be fair, it's nothing new. I have a friend who was constantly paying way over the odds for guitars by basing what they're "worth" on what some dealer or other was *advertising* similar ones for.
    I suppose not - Years ago we'd use the back pages of Melody Maker then Guitarist adverts etc and for vintage then various USA mags - They would all have some influence on our asking prices I dare say
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20603
    As has been observed, many sellers seem to base their asking prices on totally made up figures.
    The best way (as I'm sure you know) is to go to eBay and search for what you want to check, then scroll down the results to 'Completed items' and 'Sold items', check the boxes and you get to see what they went for in reality not the silly asking price.
    This won't stop people paying over the odds, but most such sellers will never give a sucker an even break.