Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your Year in Gear - 2020 Lockdown Edition

What's Hot
Time for this annual update again. 

What have you bought? 
What have you sold? 
Is there anything you regret? 
Will you be having a massive clear out in the new year? 
Has COVID completely changed your outlook on gear 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For me:  

In: 

Rickenbacker 360
    Gibson ES-330 (not the same one, but another 2018 VOS in red)
    Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb 
    MJT P-bass
    Walrus Mako D1 Delay
    Eventide Timefactor (again...)
    Walrus SLO
    Line6 HX Stomp
    Boss SD-1
    Zeppelin Quaverato trem kit
    Various Fuzzdogs that helped keep me sane in the earlier part of lockdown

Out:
    Trinity 5E3 clone
    Gibson ES-330, 2018 VOS in red
    OBNE Minim
    Zeppelin Quaverato 

Regrets
    None, beyond it being a bit slow to sell stuff. Maybe I would say going for the Timefactor before the HX Stomp, as that little Line6 box is so powerful it almost makes everything else obsolete. But I still love the UI and sounds of the TF and don't plan to let it go again. 

As for the ES-330 in/out shenanigans, I've made my peace with it, as I wouldn't now feel as happy and confident with it if I hadn't let one go and missed it. I also know I'm not the only person here to have done exactly the same thing...

Next year
    I need to sell some shit to recoup some of the "in" pile from this year. Hopefully when COVID is on its way out things will start getting back to normal a little more. And more importantly I'm hoping that means I can get out and find others to play with, whether that's on guitar, bass or drums.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    I bought more stuff this year than I did last year!

Strat and Spark.

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3811
    In

Behringer X-18 digital mixer (retirement present from work).  So far only used in the practice room / recording due to lack of gigs.
    Behringer X-Touch control surface for use in home studio
    Yamaha SLG 200S (s/h) - silent acoustic gtr.
    Set of s/h Gibson Burstbuckers which have gone into a Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro - loving 'em

And, because there's naughty list this year, Santa's going to bring me a X-Touch Extender to go with the X-Touch.

Amazingly I haven't touched my £3k tax rebate which found its way into the music slush fund.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Amps - nothing, Carr Rambler is still king and one and only.
    Pedals - a few key ones in Eventide Rose and Jam Ripply Fall and JRAD Archer. Then have re-bought some drive pedals that I keep coming back to - Trex Mudhoney and MP LGW. 

Guitars then, been a BIG year for guitars in and out, albeit some cheapies, and 4 out of 5 of my current electrics are new this year.

Out from old:
    PRS SE One
    Suhr Alt T Pro

In and Out this year:
    Danelectro ‘59
    Gretsch Electromatic Jet
    Fender Player Mustang 
    Road worn Telecaster

In and still here:
    Gibson Les Paul Special
    FGN Odyssey
    FGN Masterfield
    Telecaster partscaster (Fender / Warmoth parts)

Also sold my beloved UA OX as no longer tied to headphones for practice
  • Most everything out. Just about got enough left to gig with when it's all over.

Covid.

Fuck.
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    edited December 2020
    It's been a busy one. 

I sold my whole pedalboard (a few strymon mod pedals, Snouse Blackbox 2, Origin Revival Drive Compact, Hudson Broadcast) and my amps Victory V40D and Vox AC15. 

I then replaced them with a Kemper Stage and FRFR as I found out I prefer it for home use (which is all I'll be doing moving forwards). 

I sold a PRS Silver Sky (which I regret a little bit).
    I sold a Gibson SG Jr
    Bought a PRS Custom 22 in Charcoal
    Bought a Patrick James Eggle semi hollow T style with Mojo PAFs. 
    Sold the Eggle. 
    Bought a Music Man JP6.
    Selling the Music Man JP6. 
    Bought a Fender American Original 60's Thinline Tele which is fantastic (the Peach Guitars set up also helped). 
    I then upgraded my 2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional with OX4 low wind PAFs and Callaham ABR-1 bridge/stoptail. 
    Just waiting on some Monty's 53 Tele pickups for my Thinline Tele. 

Once the JP6 sells I'm looking for something to replace it with.  

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1360
    edited December 2020
    For me:

In:

Anderson Drop Top 
    Pacifica 904
    Squire Mini Strat
    PRS CU24 '87
    Ceriatone Yeti
    Headstong Lil' King
    Badcat BC30
    Various FX

Out:
    Grosh Retro Custom
    PRS CU24 '87
    Suhr Badger
    Various FX
    MiniMoog '72

Regrets:
    Got turned over for the first time by a bedroom trader giving me a bit of a hard luck story and the old 'we're all in this together my old TFB pal' and then immediately moving on the PRS at a significant profit. Didn't cost me much personally but the mental pain of being taken for a mug is hard to bear..

Best bits:
    Managed to lend my old Strat out to Mick T on TPS. Really nice people, genuine, mad about guitars and gear. The Strat finally got the exposure and play it deserves as I don't really dig it.

Future Clear Outs;
    Actually; very likely. I bought the Mini Strat to try out short scale and I love it. There's a strong chance I'll move on most of my standard scale guitars and grab a Musicmaster and maybe something custom made..

Covid Impact:
    Not really from a gear perspective in honesty.. from an everything else perspective I wouldn't know where to start...

Si

• PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    edited December 2020

Best bits:
    Managed to lend my old Strat out to Mick T on TPS. Really nice people, genuine, mad about guitars and gear. The Strat finally got the exposure and play it deserves as I don't really dig it.

Future Clear Outs;
    Actually; very likely. I bought the Mini Strat to try out short scale and I love it. There's a strong chance I'll move on most of my standard scale guitars and grab a Musicmaster and maybe something custom made..

Covid Impact:
    Not really from a gear perspective in honesty.. from an everything else perspective I wouldn't know where to start...

Si

So is yours the '61? Super cool guitar if so!
  • INS

new Squier Classic Vibe P-Bass

used Fender Classic Player 50s strat

sold the strat to buy a used PRS SE Custom 24

sold that to buy a used PRS Custom 22 :)

OUTS

beside the above two, also sold my 2013 SG Standard to fund the core PRS, and sold a Squier Jazz Bass.

various bits and bobs from the parts drawer (pickups etc)

Beyond that, a fair amount of modding purchases, including a few pickups from Oil City and Bulldog, switches, etc.

Between the game of gear hopping and the modding stuff, I'm probably out a few quid in balance, but that's provided some good Covid relief and still cost me (significantly) less than commuting to work.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 186
    Big year here. Working from home really got me playing more, I bought my first valve amp and built my first pedalboard.

In:
    Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow
    Vox AC15C1X
    Pedaltrain Metro 16
    Truetone CS6
    MXR Carbon Copy
    Mooer E-Lady
    Korg Pitchblack Mini
    MXR Phase 95
    Ibanez Chorus Mini
    T-Rex Mudhoney II
    MXR Timmy
    MXR 108 Fuzz Mini
    Crowther Hotcake
    Fender 3-guitar rack (probably the most important thing I bought in terms of playing more)
    Korg TM-60 Acoustic Tuner/Metronome
    Shure MV5 USB/Lightning Mic (which my wife then nicked to record her lectures - back to using my iPhone's built-in mic!)
    Vox Amplug2 AC30
    Sundry leads, patch cables, etc.

In & Out:
    ProCo RAT2 (aweseome filthy high gain, but a one-trick pony - Mudhoney II does this and more)
    EHX Soul Food (didn't really get on with the Vox, IMO - Timmy fills this niche better for me)
    Ibanez TS Mini (didn't really get on with the Vox. Love this mini pedal series, though)

Regrets:
    It's taken me ages to really work out how to get the AC15 sounding the way I want - I was all about the Normal Channel at first, but the bass in my tiny office could get overbearing. Now I've found my home in the TB channel after working out how the (fairly ridiculously unintuitive) tone controls work. I was probably guilty of constantly chopping and changing my amp settings and drive pedals instead of really working out how to make the most of what I had. I'd be interested in trying another Klone one day as a result - perhaps an MXR Sugar Drive.

Next Year:
    I'd like to get a bass amp in, and should either start using my THR10C, or let it go. Might move the Fuzz on, too.

Impact of Covid:
    I now work in the same room as my rig, and I can play whenever I want during the working day (responsibilities allowing, obviously). It's been life-changing, guitar wise. I've put a decent stereo in there too, so I can jam along to stuff as well. It sounds like my company is going to ditch having an office and just have us all WFH forever, so this looks set to continue.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    IN
    AO 50s Tele - Superb, so happy with it
    Nux Mighty Air - Brilliant little practice amp
    SD Powerstage 170 - Does the job
    Martin OOO-16GT - Not really played it much, but it's good to have an acoustic around
    Helix LT - Spectacularly awesome thing, why didn't I get one years ago?

OUT
    Gretsch Tennessee Rose - Kind of sad to see it go, but I never played it
    Warwick $$ V - Awesome bass, but again I never played it
    Marshall Origin 20H - Nice little amp, but I have new neighbours and it was hard to wind it up to where it gets fun
    Katana KTN100 - Didn't get any play after the Helix arrived

IN&OUT
    Yamaha THR Cab - Bought because it was a blow out bargain, but didn't really need it
    DV Mark Micro 50 - See above

Really have no plans to change anything else now.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112

IN

PRS Mira Korina

OUT

Nothing

• Nothing.

Recent Helix update has kept me entertained, other than this, it's really a case of only buy to replace what is broken. Helix as more or less killed all my Gas. Besides companies just seem intent on rehashing what's already done.

Covid impact: Left my band as they rehearse where I work, which is a 1 hour commute. Don't envisage returning to office until mid 2021. Keeping all my gear though as will join something new when the situation allows. Signed up to truefire again, just to get some content coming in, but honestly have hardly played - spent a lot more time on the bike as the summer weather was so great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    edited December 2020
    IN
    Line 6 DT-25 Head
    Two Notes Torpedo Captor
    Presonus Atom
    Presonus Faderport
    Presonus Studio One Pro 4 (then upgraded to 5)
    Behringer MDX1400 Compressor
    TC HyperGravity Compressor
    Upgrade to 32GB RAM for my studio PC
    Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32

OUT
    Steinberg Cubase 10.5 Pro (good riddance - will never buy Steinberg again)
    Harley Benton PA-100 Attenuator

REGRETS
    As per above, Cubase was a poor experience.  I didn't really lose any money thankfully, but I've never known a piece of software so full of bugs and with such a slow pace of development.  They're also incredibly quick to blame any issues on the user or plugins.  Oh, and when they do fix bugs, it's often via a paid upgrade - not cool.

NEXT YEAR
    No plans for anything else really - I've got too much stuff that I don't really use as it is.  Might take the Komplete Ultimate 13 upgrade in the summer if there's a decent sale.  Reason 12 is likely too, so may get that upgrade too.
  • IN:
    Line 6 Pod Go
    Laney FR112

OUT:
    Ashdown Bass Cab
    Bugera Veyron Bass Amp

Moving away from live bass playing in the future so I'm pretty convince any bass gig I have to do will be covered by the Pod Go/Laney FR112 combo as a backline/FOH feed setup; and it's my intention to use the same rig as my live guitar rig for my new rock covers band which is my goal for 2021..

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 857
    Big turnover this year. Nothing much else to do but swap gear

Arriving soon:

Gordon Smith Classic T Custom

In:

Fender AO 60s Thinline Telecaster
    Godin Radiator
    Faith Neptune Bloodmoon
    Pod Go (not used this nearly as much as I should)
    Headrush FRFR-108
    Trio+ (as above)
    Vox Amplug 2 AC30
    Boss Waza Air (use these loads - probably do without the Pod Go and Headrush)

Out:

Fidelity Double Standard
    Gibson Les Paul Standard
    Gretsch 5220
    Danelectro 56 Pro
    Chapman ML1 Modern
    Taylor 114CE
    Fender Telecaster Elite
    Katana 100
    D'Angelico Bedford Deluxe

Soon to go:

Fender MIM HS Duo Sonic

I find cycling the gear makes me practice more, so will probably continue.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1927
    edited December 2020
    For the first time since 2017 I can actually add something to this thread (2018 and 2019 were completely devoid of gear sales/purchases)

IN:

Hofner Verithin that I modified and painted to be like John Squire's
    Boss GE-7
    Bright Onion Looper
    BMF Wah
    Boss CS-3
    Heistercamp leather strap

OUT:

CAE Wah
    Cornell Fuzzface

Think that is it.
  • In: 3x FX
    Les Paul Junior

Out: 3x FX
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    In:

Warmoth Strat
    Carvin DC747
    Mesa Triple Rectifier
    Boss NS2
    Ibanez TS-9
    Orange 2x12 cab

Out:
    Jackson Soloist
    Jackson HT6

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Just realised that, with my last new piece being last Christmas, I've gone a full year without buying any gear at all!

Here's to another year of using what I already have! :D