Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your Year in Gear - 2020 Lockdown Edition

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    In - Taylor GS Mini, Laka VC90 ukulele, Line6 Pod Pro.

Out - EHX Big Muff Pi, a bass gigbag I had no need for.

I’ve bought a couple of nice guitars in the last five years though (Rick 330, Johnny Marr Jag, Classic 60s Lacquer Strat upgraded with Radioshop pickups) and I’m very content with those. I did transform my spare bedroom into a little studio as well.

In the new year I really need to sell my Classic 60s Lacquer Jaguar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh god no, don’t want to see it written down 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In 
    Peterson strobe tuner
    wah vol pedal
    Visual sound H20
    30 sets of strings

Out

FX500

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • NPPNPP Frets: 237
    I actually haven't bought a single thing (apart from strings) since the HX Stomp in May 2019. Last guitar was in 2013.

Still got some pedals to still which are surplus to requirements since I have the Stomp. I'd probably get rid of my Aria hollowbody but it's a lefty and nobody will want it, and I'd like a good Tele or Esquire. 

However, with a house move and work being manic I haven't been playing enough to justify any purchases.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2248
    LuttiS said:
    I've also joined the dark side and become a drummer after getting serious lockdown fever and seeing a wanted ad.. so having passed audition my 2021 goal is to learn how to play drums before the band figure out I don't have a clue what I'm doing.. :)
    Woo!! Nice. Drumming is fantastic. I've made my fair share of drummer jokes over the years but I get at least as much enjoyment from drumming as I do playing guitar. Playing extra instruments also makes you a much better musician, and that's the whole point, right?

Ha yeah! It's quite refreshing playing drums really, i'd stagnated a bit on guitar so a change was good. I'd messed around on drums for quite a while but never properly applied myself, now it feels good seeing genuine improvement between practice sessions.

And more importantly, i know that the absolute best time to see how hard i can hit cymbals is when everyone else is trying to tune.. :)

• Ins
    Charvel DK 24 HSS Pro Mod in Shell Pink
    Squier FSR Jazzmaster
    EVH Wolfgang Standard
    Line 6 Pod Go

Outs
    Gordon Smith Graduate 60
    My entire pedal board

Still tempted to flog my HRD as well, but not sure it's worth the hassle for the money, think I'd get about £200 at this point for it (2002 model)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    edited December 2020
    In - Vintage V100MRPGM ,it’s the first guitar I’ve bought in over 15 years
    Out - N/A
    Regrets - N/A
    Next Year - (1) Semi Hollow or Jazzbox
    (2) Try a Hudson Broadcast & Benson Pre-Amp out of curiosity, but I don’t want the hassle of setting up a pedalboard when I have my Helix LT
    (3) Try a Fender Champion, they seem like good vfm

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 467
    edited December 2020
    Bought:
    Feline Lion (currently being refinished by @lamf68)
    Suhr Classic T (been refinished by @lamf68)
    Suhr Andy Wood Signature T
    Fractal FC12
    Redsound LG-12 active cab

Sold:
    Gibson Midtown Custom
    Musicman L3 HH
    Fractal FC6

Regrets:
    Spending more time working despite being at home, and not managing to keep up the amount of guitar practice that I was doing when the first lockdown began. On the flipside I count myself fortunate to have remained working throughout Covid

Next Year:
    In the new year I should sell my valve amp & cabs that have been gathering dust for the past few years and a few guitars.

Not sure if Covid has completely changed my outlook on gear, but it's certainly made me think a bit a more about how much I actually use some of my guitars and whether some of that money would be put to better use elsewhere. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Go on then:

in:

1988 Rickenbacker 330
    2020 Rickenbacker 620
    Supro Blues King 12 
    Pedaltrain classic Jr
    Pedaltrain Metro 20
    Walrus Aetos
    Truetone One Spot Pro CS6
    Boss TU-3
    Fairfield Circuitry Accountant
    Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop
    Fairfield Circuitry Modele B*
    Boss OC-5*
    Digitech Whammy V
    Zvex instant Lo Fi Junky
    JHS Emperor v2
    Boss RC-500
    Mr Black Bloodmoon
    Moog EP-3

*still in the post en route 

in & out:

Fairfield Circuitry Meet Maude
    Jam Pedals Delay Llama Xtreme
    Dunlop DVP4 
    Mr Black Octaves 

out:

Modal Argon8 
    Mr Black Eterna 
    Elektron Digitone
    Elektron Analog Four mk2 

Think that’s it. 

Ouch. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    All I've bought is a few packs of strings and a pickup which I sold on again in the same week :)

I wouldn't say my gear outlook has changed, but spending more time recording recently has confirmed that I just shouldn't waste my time and money on anything Fendery. Got all my takes done in half the time when I switched back to my SG on which my playing was noticeably better and less rigid. So I'm back to GASing for an LP or LTD Eclipse again which hopefully I'll be able to go for next year.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
    edited December 2020
    In
    Hagstrom viking justin york gold top
    Marshall DSL20C (second hand)
    G12M Greenback (replacement for the crappy seventy/80 in the DSL20C)
    TC Polytune 3 mini
    MXR phase 90 from @jacksonunited
    2 cables for 4CM from @robinbowes of this parish (recommended!)
    Allparts bullet jack tightener. Fantastic bit of kit.
    Truetone one spot.

Out
    Er.....

Regrets
    I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention

Massive clear out?
    Maybe. I have a few pedals and a lot of patch cables I'm not using

COVID impact
    I've taken my Amplifire based midi controlled pedalboard apart and moved back to valves and a simple pedalboard.
    I'm playing more guitar. 
    I made the mistake of running my DSL20C and Amplifire + Laney IRT-X in a two amp setup and fuck me it sounded good. But whilst everyone at home the Amplifire and headphones makes more sense.
    Do I really need my 4 x 12. Yeah, it's not worth selling it!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    IN:

Rickenbacker 330/6 in ruby red. 
    Jeff Senn Continental in gold. 
    Fender CS Nocaster, glorious thing.

Fender Vibro Champ 1976 (my second, but this one sounds nicer for some reason).

Origin Effects Magma 57 and Revival Trem, both fantastic. 
    Donner Circle Looper, a top find.
    Two Flashback V2s and an Alter Ego 2. Can't seem to bond with the fancier delays and, believe me, I've tried. 

OUT:

Not much... 

Fender EJ Strat 2007, lovely thing but the neck was too big and I never played it.

Ditto X4.

REGRETS:

Too few to mention. Did what I had to do. 

NEXT YEAR:

Same obsessive madness. Might pointlessly buy another 5e3 or maybe a Lazy J10. I do miss the J20 a little

• PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    DNH said:
    Great thread. For me:

In
    Tone Master Deluxe Reverb
    Vintera 50's Strat
    American Original 60's Tele

Out
    Headstrong Lil' King
    Cornford Hurricane
    Boss Katana 100 1x12
    Yamaha THR 10c

Plus the usual ridiculous merry-go-round of pedals that I don't have the energy to list!

Regrets
    Maybe a slight regret for letting my Headstrong amp go. I did love it but it wasn't getting used much, and the TMDR gives me a very similar tone with a huge number of practical benefits.

Next Year
    I now own 3 Teles, so I might sell one of those. I also fancy acquiring a nice small bodied acoustic.
    What is the quality like on the Vintera? 

I have an American original tele but have been looking at the vintera road worn tele deluxe for something different. Is the quality on your vintera anywhere close to your American original? 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    In: Yamaha FG800

Out: Gibson ES-330 59RI VOS.
  • Great question
    Bought some strats and just shown them in a video in another thread:
    AVRI Hot Rod 62
    Vintera 60 Modified
    Classic player 60

Out:
    Strat classic player 50.

Out soon, well....maybe.
    Ibanez arc 500
    Stratocaster JV 1982 First Issue (the rarest ones)

• Well I have also sold a Stratocaster American Series in hot rod red.
    I gues I am a Strat guy....
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    edited December 2020
    This turned into a hellishly good year for me. Most of the things on my in list fill gaps that I’ve been after for years (LPC, J45, $$, ‘stang) but hadn’t quite found the right combination of specs yet.

In:
    - Line 6 Helix
    - Zilla Fatbaby 1x12
    - Eastman E10-SS
    - Squier Bullet Mustang FSR
    - Warwick $$
    - Greco Les Paul Custom (~86, tbc)

Out:
    - Boss Katana 112
    - Lots of pedals
    - Cleared out my spare parts drawer too

Chopping Board:
    - PRS Custom 24 (1987)

I also had a few on trials for a while that didn’t quite make the cut for various reasons:

- Sire M2 & M7: great basses - especially the 7, but I ended up going for the Warwick $$. The Sire’s EQ is much more versatile though!
    - PRS S2 McCarty 594 Singlecut: superb instrument in every way. The only reason that it’s not still here is that the Greco (above) came up for sale at a third of the price the day the 594 arrived!

Regrets: None yet I suppose! I like the enjoyment of collecting pedals, and the Helix has largely killed any justification of that, but otherwise the only thing I can think of is selling on an aluminum stop tail that I now want to use again on the LPC!

Next year:
    - Silverburst refin on the Greco LPC
    - Bass cab, as yet undecided on what
    - Maybe a mandolin?
    - Boss SY-tbc pedal, the whole series looks great!
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 408
    edited December 2020
    Soooo missing gigging but the bands have got into remote recording which has been fun. Also arranged new tracks for solo gigs. Starting to get a few enquiries for summer festivals so things are looking promising. Zoom meetings have saved our band relationships Im sure...

Ins: 
    2013 Gibson SG
    Tom Anderson Classic T
    Kemper Stage
    Helix
    Revv D20
    Strymon Iridium
    Strymon Multi Switch Plus
    Behringer Powerplay 16
    Suhr HSS Strat
    Two Notes Captur X

Outs:
    Helix
    Revv D20
    Fender Roadworn Tele
    Suhr HSS Strat - to our bass player so I can still play it 
    Two Notes Captur X

Still to go to fund more fun:
    Strymon Iridium
    Atomic Amplifire

Still want:
    Amp solution for Kemper Stage - Orange Pedal Baby/Bluguitar Amp 1

Its been a frustrating year but also a bit ‘oh, what the heck I’ll just try this out’ as well, so I’ve bought stuff to try out which I normally wouldn’t have. The Two Notes Captur X I had for a while was absolutely brill and I’ll be buying one again for sure when gigs start again. 

Stay safe everyone and have a great Christmas, don’t let up it’s not over yet...
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
    In:

Kemper Profiler Stage 
    Mini (smaller than 3/4) Tele kit (currently being paisleyfied) - plus all relevant parts
    GSP P Bass body and neck (currently getting covered in special finish) - plus all relevant parts

Out:
    Kemper Profiler Head (joined a band before lockdown, the Stage is much better for that). 

No regrets this year. 

COVID impact: Working in the same room as all my gear does make me a little more reluctant to go back in the room once I’ve signed off for the day to play guitar, although have written (with remote vocals) and released a song during lockdown, with another couple in the works. 
  • DNHDNH Frets: 16
    PudWud said:
    DNH said:
    Great thread. For me:

In
    Tone Master Deluxe Reverb
    Vintera 50's Strat
    American Original 60's Tele

Out
    Headstrong Lil' King
    Cornford Hurricane
    Boss Katana 100 1x12
    Yamaha THR 10c

Plus the usual ridiculous merry-go-round of pedals that I don't have the energy to list!

Regrets
    Maybe a slight regret for letting my Headstrong amp go. I did love it but it wasn't getting used much, and the TMDR gives me a very similar tone with a huge number of practical benefits.

Next Year
    I now own 3 Teles, so I might sell one of those. I also fancy acquiring a nice small bodied acoustic.
    What is the quality like on the Vintera? 

I have an American original tele but have been looking at the vintera road worn tele deluxe for something different. Is the quality on your vintera anywhere close to your American original? 
    Tough question! I am a dyed in the wool Tele guy so not really comparing like for like, but I would say the the AO Tele is superb, and the Vintera Strat is decent but not in the same league. That said I have a Baja Tele that I love which was presumably built in the same place as the Vinteras. Try before you buy I guess but definitely worth a punt.