Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What Turntable Do You Use To Play Your Records On ?

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I got a used SL1210 mk2 about 5 or 6 years ago and it is everything a turntable could be imo. Running an AT33PTG/ii. I added a KAB fluid damper thing but I honestly couldn't tell you if it makes a difference. I am much more sceptical of hifi things these days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKing said:
    The biggest thing was changing the plinth over and adding the Linn arm board, which lets you put a different arm.  The springs help too, but the other thing that I did was to use Soundrise Dome Isolation pads for the feet, to stop any vibration.  I also replaced the mat with a better rubber one (I use a cork one on my Linn), as I think id dampens things a bit more.

Thank you, I was considering buying or making a new plinth at some point, might give it a whirl.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited December 2020
    Linn Basik. Not in the same league as the LP12 but still pretty good.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I use my vestax pdx2000, fantastic turntable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    I got a used SL1210 mk2 about 5 or 6 years ago and it is everything a turntable could be imo. Running an AT33PTG/ii. I added a KAB fluid damper thing but I honestly couldn't tell you if it makes a difference. I am much more sceptical of hifi things these days
    ^ Same Technics SL1210 Mk2 :)

• I have a Rega P1. Does the job and sounds good. Have to lift the platter to change speeds but almost all of my records are 33 anyway. Annoyingly the last Omnium Gatherum album is at 45 - the scamps. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I have a Pro-ject Debut in one room and a NAD something-or-other in another. IIRC both are fitted with AT95E cartridges. I used to have a Duel CS505 and the difference made by the 95E was amazing. 
  • Audio Technica LP5
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • scrumhalf said:
    I have a Pro-ject Debut in one room and a NAD something-or-other in another. IIRC both are fitted with AT95E cartridges. I used to have a Duel CS505 and the difference made by the 95E was amazing. 

What differences does it make?

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    ^^ Sounds so much better. It's a long time since I fitted them, not listening to much vinyl these days, but I just remember hearing more and better. Not really scientific or quantifiable, I know. 
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon here. Mid range but suits me perfectly. Might go for the 2M blue as an upgrade in the near future.
  • A JVC L-E600 linear tracking 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon here. Mid range but suits me perfectly. Might go for the 2M blue as an upgrade in the near future.
    Don’t get a 2M blue. I’ve had one, it’s ok, but for the same money you can get a Nagaoka MP200, which kicks the 2M Blue in the ass all day long. It’s a phenomenal cart for the money. 
    I’d even take a Nagoaka MP100 over the 2M Blue. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Don’t know the costs or if the blue is MC, but you could go for a 2nd hand koetsu black and start the long languid journey down the splendid koetsu route. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    The 2M blue is MM. It’s fine, but nothing special. 
    viz said:
    Don’t know the costs or if the blue is MC, but you could go for a 2nd hand koetsu black and start the long languid journey down the splendid koetsu route. 
    You won’t get a Koetsu for 2M blue money, maybe one that’s missing a stylus, and needs a rebuild, but that’s a lot more time and money.  
    I do like Koetsu and range toping Lyras, but they’re quite an investment these days. 
    Prices have probably tripled since I had one in the early 90’s. 
  • TheMarlin said:
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon here. Mid range but suits me perfectly. Might go for the 2M blue as an upgrade in the near future.
    Don’t get a 2M blue. I’ve had one, it’s ok, but for the same money you can get a Nagaoka MP200, which kicks the 2M Blue in the ass all day long. It’s a phenomenal cart for the money. 
    I’d even take a Nagoaka MP100 over the 2M Blue. 
    Thanks for the info. I had been recommended the blue as it is a simple drop in replacement for the red but I will look into the MP200 if it would be a more significant upgrade.
  • I've just fitted a new cartridge to my Michell Gyrodec/Roksan Tabriz combination.  I got the Ortofon MC Quintet Bronze at £499.  The purchase was helped by Ortofon giving a p/x of £154 on the worn out Rondo Bronze.  If you're replacing Ortofon with Ortofon, they'll give you a p/x allowance.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    My LP12 is somewhere in my loft; it went there when my kids started poking about; I went looking for it a while back, but couldn't find it.

My main CD spinner is a Naim CDS2, which is pretty decent. It's a top-loader, so there's no room for it and the LP12 on my rack.
  • I mean, don't get me wrong I still buy several dozen vinyl records every year but every time one of these threads pops up I can't get this cartoon out of my head :-D

https://www.newyorker.com/cartoon/a19180
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom