NEW Boss DM-2, BD-2 & SD-1 reissues

What's Hot

Comments

• too expensive,

I'd rather have the keeley BD2 for that price,

Keeley brand new £140 - boss brand new at bellow RRP as listed above by Dano91 £120

get into second hand land and it gets even better.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    Apart from the DM-2 which does look like it might be worthwhile - partly because originals in good order are getting rare - those are ridiculous.

You can buy an original Made In Japan SD-1 for under half even the reduced price, and a BD-2 for around a quarter of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    darcym said:
    too expensive,

I'd rather have the keeley BD2 for that price,

Keeley brand new £140 - boss brand new at bellow RRP as listed above by Dano91 £120

get into second hand land and it gets even better.

How do you know you would rather have the keeley though?
    they are both modified BD2 circuits so this may be worse or better or similar we don't really know yet, i shall wait until somebody does a better YT video or until i can have a go with both side by side before i make any comparative statement, i admit that its unlikely that it will be as good as the keeleys but it is possible that boss have done something in line with what keeley do with these in which case they would be a very good buy indeed as these will be much easier and quicker to get hold of.
    I feel it would be a mistake writing them off so soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Andertons have the dm2w listed as £135.......
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • I was hoping they'd be a reasonable undercut to a new keeley. 5 year warranty or not, that's still a wee bit hefty. Of course, if it sounds amazing it might be worth it. The delay seems like it could be amazing though.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I'll wait until i'm proven wrong but that delay looks absolutely fantastic and could make me regret my aqua puss purchase...
    i repeat could
  • sorry, I didn't mean "I'd rather have a Keeley as it's better" - I meant "I'd rather have a Keeley, you know what you are getting you know it's good, and it's only a few quid more for a proven and respected product".

The Boss ones may turn out to be great, but they would have to be something pretty special to beat the keeley BD2 and SD1 and they are just a few quid less, with less options
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22584

darcym said:
    sorry, I didn't mean "I'd rather have a Keeley as it's better" - I meant "I'd rather have a Keeley, you know what you are getting you know it's good, and it's only a few quid more for a proven and respected product".

The Boss ones may turn out to be great, but they would have to be something pretty special to beat the keeley BD2 and SD1 and they are just a few quid less, with less options
    And Boss pedals aren't proven and respected? :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the BD2 isn't hence why it's modded to get it better.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 931
    A pedal that has been available for nearly 20 years, made by a company known for their reliability and used by many players the world over not proven? I don't think so. The stock BD2 sounds great, but i'm very interested in what their new version sounds like.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22584
    darcym said:
    the BD2 isn't hence why it's modded to get it better.

I thought it was modded so it sounds more boring for dudes chasing that particularly yawn-inducing bloooze tone. 

• Heartfeltdawn;294200" said:
    darcym said:

the BD2 isn't hence why it's modded to get it better.

I thought it was modded so it sounds more boring for dudes chasing that particularly yawn-inducing bloooze tone. 
    I don't know. It's a good pedal, but I found it a bit harsh on the top end of things.

But if it's nodded to sound better, it's gone from a decent overdrive to an excellent one. Hopefully.

Does seem a tad pricey. I was hoping for sub 100 but I'm a right cheap skate. :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Does seem a tad pricey. I was hoping for sub 100 but I'm a right cheap skate. :)
    Part of the pricing model for these will be so they don't appear too cheap. They're marketing them as a premium product against the regular line of pedals, so the price point will reflect that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Does seem a tad pricey. I was hoping for sub 100 but I'm a right cheap skate. :)
    Part of the pricing model for these will be so they don't appear too cheap. They're marketing them as a premium product against the regular line of pedals, so the price point will reflect that.

now that is an interesting thought, if it was just say +£10 people would possibly say "it's just the same as the other one" and won't have the premium desire that it's created.

I don't think it's a bad price, I do think it could be better, or that these improvements should be "the norm" rather than a limited edition.

• therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    Wasnt very keen on the demo! seemed more about the chap who was playing the guitar rather than the pedals. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ICBM said:
    Apart from the DM-2 which does look like it might be worthwhile - partly because originals in good order are getting rare - those are ridiculous.

You can buy an original Made In Japan SD-1 for under half even the reduced price, and a BD-2 for around a quarter of it.
    More than that- reading the blurb about the SD1 said it used "all- discrete analogue circuitry" (http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid34896/cid692/boss-sd1w-super-overdrive-guitar-effects-pedal.asp). Is it even an SD1 any more?

Fix the frigging bypass bleed and up the price by maybe £2 to compensate, don't release expensive boutique "improvements"! (Or at least make them boutique "improvements" which actually might be worthwhile (say a switch to remove the bass cut or something like that), and which don't increase the pedal's price by 300%!)

If they did that I'd buy a bog standard SD1 right now.
    I was hoping they'd be a reasonable undercut to a new keeley. 5 year warranty or not, that's still a wee bit hefty.
    Don't even the bog standard Boss pedals have the 5 year warranty?

Plus I mean buy on e.g. thomann and you get a 3 year warranty on pretty much anything, anyway. Granted, not 5, but it does make it less of a bonus.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 931
    edited July 2014
    The price for the SD1W is the same as a reissue TS9 and alot less than a reissue TS808 and they all have a very similar circuit.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    Dave_Mc said:
    More than that- reading the blurb about the SD1 said it used "all- discrete analogue circuitry"

Interesting that - the BD-2 contains an opamp but in discrete components rather than an integrated circuit. I always understood the SD-1 to be a TS-type opamp/diode clipping circuit. It's a heck of redesign to substitute an 8-pin opamp chip with discrete components when they could have pulled in the cork-sniffers with some marketing hype about JRC4558s.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    They definitely needed to waza-fy the old CE-2 chorus now.

And it goes without saying that the old Heavy Metal HM 2 needs a good wazzing. Just so they get the message, I've got people to sign a petition in their own blood. I have asked a band of torch bearing, sword wielding, guitar shredding Norwegian death metallers to deliver it in person.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionic;294579" said:
    Dave_Mc said:

More than that- reading the blurb about the SD1 said it used "all- discrete analogue circuitry"

Interesting that - the BD-2 contains an opamp but in discrete components rather than an integrated circuit. I always understood the SD-1 to be a TS-type opamp/diode clipping circuit. It's a heck of redesign to substitute an 8-pin opamp chip with discrete components when they could have pulled in the cork-sniffers with some marketing hype about JRC4558s.
    That's a good point actually! If that's all discrete (though manufacturers can be a bit flexible when they say that...) it's a bit bonkers.

But the kind of thing that might attract some folk.

I really hope they're great - they're priced about the same as your average boutique overdrive, and the delay is a fair price compared to some, so if they're great sounding (and the buffer has been improved a bit, even if it means a buffer before the usual buffer in the circuit!) I can see this being cool.

Just... A wee bit too much for someone like me. I'd be perfectly happy with buying two sd-1s, keeping one stock and trying my hand at modding the other myself.

And breaking it.