NEW Boss DM-2, BD-2 & SD-1 reissues

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7353
    hahaha - They seem to be taking a leaf out of my book with my TonePrints  (yes I was doing this first!) for the ME-5...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Still, pricewise it is a bit steep, but saying that, I agree with the pricing comment to make them above the regular pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Pffft, looks like I can embed...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24866
    I recently bemoaned in another thread that Boss never reissue their classics - hence I wish to claim responsibility for this.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited July 2014
    The price for the SD1W is the same as a reissue TS9 and alot less than a reissue TS808 and they all have a very similar circuit.
    Indeed. But does that say that the SD1W is a sensible price or that the Tubescreamer reissues are a crazy price? :D
    Interesting that - the BD-2 contains an opamp but in discrete components rather than an integrated circuit. I always understood the SD-1 to be a TS-type opamp/diode clipping circuit. It's a heck of redesign to substitute an 8-pin opamp chip with discrete components when they could have pulled in the cork-sniffers with some marketing hype about JRC4558s.
    Yeah the BD2 (from memory... at least the od circuit bit, maybe not the buffers) is discrete, far as I'm aware anyway. Seems strange to make the SD1 discrete- as you said, it might pull in a certain type of cork-sniffer, but as you said I imagine they could have pulled in a slightly different type of corksniffer by just using a 4558 and saved themselves a lot of bother with redesigning the thing.

I guess they wanted it to hit a "boutique" price point (as not_the_dj rightly said), and figured they'd better do something to justify hitting it. :)) Sort of a solution in search of a problem type of thing. :)) I understand what they're doing, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it (or buy the thing)...
    That's a good point actually! If that's all discrete (though manufacturers can be a bit flexible when they say that...) it's a bit bonkers.

But the kind of thing that might attract some folk.

I really hope they're great - they're priced about the same as your average boutique overdrive, and the delay is a fair price compared to some, so if they're great sounding (and the buffer has been improved a bit, even if it means a buffer before the usual buffer in the circuit!) I can see this being cool.

Just... A wee bit too much for someone like me. I'd be perfectly happy with buying two sd-1s, keeping one stock and trying my hand at modding the other myself.

And breaking it.
    Yeah I noticed it earlier in the email Andertons sent me. I pretty much just skimmed the thing, but somehow the "discrete" bit jumped out and I was a bit "LOLWUT?" Sort of shades of the whole handwired Tubescreamer thing- "You want me to believe that this is the best/more accurate reissue yet and you've achieved that by totally changing the thing?" :))

I agree, it's too much for me, considering a bog standard SD1 (or tubescreamer) is just fine for me most of the time, or at least cheaper modded ones (like a bad monkey or something like that if I need extra bass). I don't mind extra useful features (a clipping switch, or a bass switch/knob are very useful and don't add too much to the cost; extra boost/output on tap would be handy too and again fairly easy to implement I think), but I don't need boutique mojo mumbo jumbo either (or the associated massive price hike).

A tubescreamer/sd1 in the one pedal with toggle switches to go between the two would be amazing (since I can never decide which I prefer, but they're close enough to each other in sound that taking up space with two pedals seems excessive), but while the topologies are pretty similar, I get the feeling enough values are different that that's not going to be possible. Or at least not possible without a massive hike in price, when, considering the original SD1 and plenty of TS clones are a reasonable price, it's probably handier to just buy the two pedals. :))
  • joeyowen said:
    The sweetwater demo is much better, I have no idea how to embed here so here's the link!

Still, pricewise it is a bit steep, but saying that, I agree with the pricing comment to make them above the regular pedals.
    Wow.  

The dry signal from that amp sounds absolutely naff!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    He really needs to work out that expression pedals are best when operated by the foot.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Wow.  

The dry signal from that amp sounds absolutely naff!
    It sure does sound a bit flat, but the pedals sound good

meaning through a good amp they are better than Klon right?

I'm going to wait for some BD2w vs Keeley BD2 shootout :D
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    Playing lead guitar on your own is a bit like wanking. I'm sure you get a lot of pleasure from it, as evidenced by your facial expressions and deluded references to girth, but rather tedious for everybody else watching.

Flippancy aside, I couldn't tell much difference between the normal and custom modes on those overdrives. I'd rather pick up a cheap used one on ebay, do a bit of research and substitute a few component values myself.
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    The DM2 is the one to have - the original is my favorite delay of all time.
    I'll be buying one of these :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 931

Dave_Mc said:
    The price for the SD1W is the same as a reissue TS9 and alot less than a reissue TS808 and they all have a very similar circuit.
    Indeed. But does that say that the SD1W is a sensible price or that the Tubescreamer reissues are a crazy price? :D
    I would say that when you look at the price of a standard SD1, the Tube Screamers are overpriced. You can see why the SD1W is priced the same as the TS9, and at least it has 2 modes so you get a bit more for your money.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    i'm going to the first to say....
    i don't like them, although it could just be him and how he's got all his stuff set up but this has well and truly put me off the drives
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    I wish they weren't called Waza, I keep thinking Wayne Rooney was involved! :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattG said:
    i'm going to the first to say....
    i don't like them, although it could just be him and how he's got all his stuff set up but this has well and truly put me off the drives
    The dry tone of the amp is enough to explain that - who in their right mind would use such a dull, boring sound?!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    slate said:
    The DM2 is the one to have - the original is my favorite delay of all time.
    I'll be buying one of these :-)

Can't wait to see what you think and I'll be getting one too, really miss mine
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390

Dave_Mc said:
    I would say that when you look at the price of a standard SD1, the Tube Screamers are overpriced. You can see why the SD1W is priced the same as the TS9, and at least it has 2 modes so you get a bit more for your money.
    Yeah I suppose, but I'd want to see exactly what that mode switch is doing before I'd agree that it justifies the 300% upcharge! :D
    edited July 2014

My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    For anyone who's interested, I contacted Roland UK and they told me that they are expecting to receive the first shipment containing the DM2W's towards the end of November. It seems strange to me that they would announce now and then only have them available in 4 months time.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Great they will be £99 by then
  • Yeah this is great and all but, I just think the prices are way off... I hope they'll come down as I'm all about that BD2