Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Anyone got any tips for Achilles tendon pain?

It's fairly mild and it's at the foot but I don't want it to get worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965

Only the usual, rest, ice pack, ibuprofen. Some stretches can help too if you feel up to it. When I’ve had calf and achilles injuries I’ve used a step and alternated between tip toes and lowering my heel below my toe level to give the tendons and muscles a full range of movement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350

I gave myself an achilles problem a couple of weeks ago and have just rested and massaged it.  First test run today went well.

Anyhoo, I find James Dunne very good for running related vids.....Here's an achilles-related one.

• 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Mind if I join in the fun here? Currently hoping that Richmond marathon goes ahead in May and looking forward to other events later in the year. 

Some good advice on Achilles pain above. I pulled mine in 2017 and it’s the only major running injury I’ve had. I would say can be a longer recovery than other lower leg strains, so be careful and don’t rush it. If it’s minor at the moment the exercises and rest should sort it. 
    March total: 171K, 14 runs. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That’s an impressive monthly total @26.2 ;

I got 10km in on Friday, hoping for a injury free month!
    That’s an impressive monthly total @26.2 ;

I got 10km in on Friday, hoping for a injury free month!
    Thanks. Trying for another solid month in April fingers crossed. 

Good work on the 10K! 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    26.2 said:
    Mind if I join in the fun here? Currently hoping that Richmond marathon goes ahead in May and looking forward to other events later in the year. 

Some good advice on Achilles pain above. I pulled mine in 2017 and it’s the only major running injury I’ve had. I would say can be a longer recovery than other lower leg strains, so be careful and don’t rush it. If it’s minor at the moment the exercises and rest should sort it. 
    Please do - it sounds like you have a wealth of experience. A lot of us are relatively new and still picking up tips etc. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    26.2 said:

Please do - it sounds like you have a wealth of experience. A lot of us are relatively new and still picking up tips etc. 
    Cheers! Good luck to everyone for a fun and injury-free April.

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I've developed lower back pain which I think is sciatica - I'm going to try and run it off gently. Any tips? Stretches, massage, rest? I'll try a doctor if it doesn't ease in the next few days.

I've lost my momentum in the last 2 weeks, so my mission for April is to find that again just by doing frequent gentle runs. Lighter evenings means I should be cycling more often instead/as well.

April target: 40 miles, 5K in 22:30, 5 miles 39:00
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I've developed lower back pain which I think is sciatica - I'm going to try and run it off gently. Any tips? Stretches, massage, rest? I'll try a doctor if it doesn't ease in the next few days.

I've lost my momentum in the last 2 weeks, so my mission for April is to find that again just by doing frequent gentle runs. Lighter evenings means I should be cycling more often instead/as well.

Could be tight hamstrings or/and glutes.
    When I do long runs I sometimes get a similar pain in my lower back.

Stretching sorts it out
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474

Stretching sorts it out
    Yep. this sounds like it. I have consistent lower back ache due to bad posture and tight glutes/leg muscles. I try and stretch as much as I can, but still persists (again partly because my posture is so bad and has been for years). 

Yoga should help too. Just general improvement of being flexible. 

My motivation is waning somewhat due to tired legs, but managed to drag myself out for 4 ploddy miles last night and will do the same again tonight hopefully. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Stretching sorts it out
    I’d say stretching *can* sort it out, but you might want to think about some core exercises to try and strengthen the area. Things like planks, side planks and Russian twists are good for lower core strength. 

Also try and work hard at keeping upright during longer runs - it’s very easy to hunch over when you’re tired and that doesn’t help. (I am terrible at following this advice :) )

Having said all of this - be careful with your back - it’s easy to injure and hard to fix, so get proper advice if it persists. 
    Anyone out this weekend? Beautiful running weather here - I did a fairly slow but comfortable 24K along the Thames towpath this morning. 
    26.2 said:
    Anyone out this weekend? Beautiful running weather here - I did a fairly slow but comfortable 24K along the Thames towpath this morning. 
    I’ve not, weather has been pretty bad and I’d hurt my foot. Hoping to get some miles in next week.
    Nope. Paltry 4 miles this week. Wanted to get out tonight and last night but working through the night both nights has put a stop to that!! Bit fucked off and hoping my legs will carry me for 30 miles over 6 days next week to get me back on track. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    26.2 said:
    Nice distance.

7 miles on Friday night for me and 7 again tonight; I usually run on Sunday mornings but have myself the morning off. 

I only run 3 times a week spread out as much as possible eg Wed, Fri and Sun. 

The weather is great in as much as my favourite footpaths and towpaths are drying out and can be used trouble free again. There was a little bit of snow tonight though!

Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    26.2 said:
    Nice distance.

7 miles on Friday night for me and 7 again tonight; I usually run on Sunday mornings but have myself the morning off. 

I only run 3 times a week spread out as much as possible eg Wed, Fri and Sun. 

The weather is great in as much as my favourite footpaths and towpaths are drying out and can be used trouble free again. There was a little bit of snow tonight though!

Good work. I find it really difficult to run in the evenings. Got to be first thing for me if I can. Anyone else like this?
    Decent 5 miler tonight to start the week right. Just got to do that 5 more times this week to get me back on track. No big deal haha
    Another 5 miles tonight. Slightly quicker than last night too, so legs are feeling ok. Might have day off tomorrow before running the rest of the week.