Manic Street Preachers - where to start

What's Hot
CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
Never heard "Motorcycle Emptiness" before the Radio 2 riffs thing.

They might be quite good. 

What's a good place to start, bearing in mind, Motorcycle Emptiness is good, a Design for Life isn't as good, and I don't really like the tolerate this song.

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    Probably 'Gold Against the Soul' album then.
    In between the songs you have mentioned and it has 'La Tristesse Durera' on it which is their best track IMHO.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    That's a good track.

I'll look into that album.

Cheers.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Boring answer but you might want to try their greatest hits.

I tend to go for their more commercial stuff. I think Everything Must Go is one of the great british albums. The first few tracks heard one after the other are killer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929

Holy Bible

Everything Must Go

The new album is probably their best ever in my opinion, but is to as classicly them, if you're looking for something like motorcycle emptiness.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Generation Terrorists is about the only thing of their that I like.

The other stuff is a little bland, repetitive and formulaic for my tastes, but they're successful so good for them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    I was going to pipe up and say I like Generation Terrorists the most, and expect to be alone on that front, but @hubobulous beat me to it!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6611
    I would agree that the Greatest Hits (Forever Delayed) is about the best place for a newbie to start.

The Holy Bible is, in my opinion, one of those "bedroom classics" like The Queen Is Dead...albums that appeal to the lost student in me.. One of my favourite albums, and one that the Manics have never bettered, but probably too dark and claustrophobic for the casual listener.

Alas, in recent years they have really lost me along the way and I now feel they have done more that I don't like than they have that I do...Shame, as at one point they were far and away my favourite band.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27842
    edited July 2014
    I'd consider Postcards from a Young Man and Send Away the Tigers as well as the early ones. Holy Bible is excellent but takes some effort to get into. The "blue albums" (EMG and TIMYTMY) are good but a bit mellower and if you don't like that era's singles I'd probably give them a miss.

I'd also go for the 2nd best-of, "National Treasures" rather than Forever Delayed - it has the good stuff from the post-2002 albums on it, which is well worth it imo. It starts with Motown Junk, which is essential and shoved at the back of FD. It also has Revol, which is super awesome :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Oh yeah, @stickyfiddle, I forgot about National Treasures, my bad.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27842
    I'd also say Rewind The Film is very good, but nothing like any of the others. Futurology is a bad odd. I haven't listened enough to get into it but I'm not a fan yet.

Most importantly, go see them live - JDB is still a brilliant singer and guitarist and every time I've seen them has been fantastic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4390

I would agree that the Greatest Hits (Forever Delayed) is about the best place for a newbie to start.

The Holy Bible is, in my opinion, one of those "bedroom classics" like The Queen Is Dead...albums that appeal to the lost student in me.. One of my favourite albums, and one that the Manics have never bettered, but probably too dark and claustrophobic for the casual listener.

Alas, in recent years they have really lost me along the way and I now feel they have done more that I don't like than they have that I do...Shame, as at one point they were far and away my favourite band.

+1, have a wisdom.

Apart from the odd song (Slash and Burn and From Despair to Where spring to mind) from the other earlier albums Holy Bible is the only one I can listen to now. In their day, I loved Generation Terrorists and Gold Against the Soul, but I just can't listen to them now.

Anything post Holy Bible has just been bland shite. They kind of became the type of band they hated when they first started off.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Seriously, the new album is AMAZING
    edited July 2014
    gusman2x said:
    My problem with the new album is that I am very familiar with the Simple Minds material they (openly) used as inspiration, and for me it's just too similar in some cases. It's not just "Oh that sounds like early Simple Minds" it's "That sound is taken from I Travel, that rhythm is Theme For Great Cities, that guitar part is Sweat In Bullet" etc etc..

Some influence is fine, and don't get me wrong, these ARE original songs not outright copies, but still Futurology sails too close to the wind for me.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    CHRISB50 said:

Anything post Holy Bible has just been bland shite. They kind of became the type of band they hated when they first started off.

Can't really argue with this, but I DID give up on them after 'Know Your Enemy' so can't comment on the last decade's stuff. I don't want to deify Richie ('specially as by all accounts he was a bit of a dick), but since he went and Nicky started doing most of the lyrics they've lost an undefinable 'something' to me - the music's gone a bit limp and the lyrics sound like a sixth-form English Lit student trying to write like Richie.
    ^ I think most sixth-form English Lit students could do a better job than Nicky Wire..
    His lyrics are a large part of what makes their recent output unlistenable for me.

gusman2x said:
    My problem with the new album is that I am very familiar with the Simple Minds material they (openly) used as inspiration, and for me it's just too similar in some cases. It's not just "Oh that sounds like early Simple Minds" it's "That sound is taken from I Travel, that rhythm is Theme For Great Cities, that guitar part is Sweat In Bullet" etc etc..

Some influence is fine, and don't get me wrong, these ARE original songs not outright copies, but still Futurology sails too close to the wind for me.
    Luckily I've avoided Simple Minds my whole life (even though I'm a Scot) for stupid reasons, so I have no issues with Futurology. Maybe I should give Simple Minds a go though...
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I agree on the lyrics over the last few years. Just bland, contrived and like a teenager trying to be grown up and edgy, only to find they're safe and conformist like most of their mates.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10603

I love Everything must go, not a dud track on the whole album. I also think Send Away the Tigers is a superb album as well so gonna put it here. Hit play and carry on browsing the forum in a new tab. 

www.2020studios.co.uk