What's Hot

Comments

• NelsonP said:
    Now Fractal are going to have to release this
    https://imgur.com/k3OmSYM
    And an obvious photoshop =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Yeah...leaked from Zzounds. I would definitely have bought one of these if it came out a couple of months ago (no need, now that I have the MP-2 rack). Something half way between the Stomp and the LT is exactly the right form factor for me, without the expression pedal.

The only thing they screwed up, in my opinion, is the arrangement of the buttons. For optimal ergonomics, I'm pretty sure the bottom row should've been A, B, C, D, TAP and the top row should be UP, DOWN, MODE - on the simple principle that the buttons used most often should be easiest to get to.
    Yes, it’s a missed opportunity 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Jetfire said:
    If they did an LT with no expression pedal, that would have been ideal for me but the stomps dsp potentially too small for me. Still, I like the look of this! 
    Yes!!!

That’s what I wanted. 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2406
    £599 at Peach. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    edited March 2021
    @rossyamaha can you say yet if the regular Stomp is going to get the 4 snapshots as well (when paired with an external FS4/5)? 
    TTBZ said:
    @rossyamaha can you say yet if the regular Stomp is going to get the 4 snapshots as well (when paired with an external FS4/5)? 
    I genuinely don't know. If it gets asked for I guess so. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    @JohnCordy has done a few videos with it now. It looks cool, definitely bridging a gap even if I think there’s a lot of variations of this product now. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    StefB said:
    £599 at Peach. 
    Quite frankly, for that price I'd go for a second hand Helix LT. 2 chip processing, expression pedal, and more floor control. The HX Stomp made sense as a a compact unit to amalgamate with your pedal board, but in a bigger more expensive format it's neither fish nor foul. It's not a stand alone unit like Helix LT or Pod Go albeit the latter is less powerful, and it's lost the compactness. 

As always, some will like it and it will fit their needs but personally I think Line 6 is now looking to get blood out of a stone. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    StefB said:
    £599 at Peach. 
    Quite frankly, for that price I'd go for a second hand Helix LT. 2 chip processing, expression pedal, and more floor control. The HX Stomp made sense as a a compact unit to amalgamate with your pedal board, but in a bigger more expensive format it's neither fish nor foul. It's not a stand alone unit like Helix LT or Pod Go albeit the latter is less powerful, and it's lost the compactness. 

As always, some will like it and it will fit their needs but personally I think Line 6 is now looking to get blood out of a stone. 
    As I’ve said to other people in various places, it really isn’t that at all. People have literally been requesting this. For a while. This is what we do as a company. We listen and we give people what they want. If you weren’t asking for an HXFX with amp models or a stomp with more buttons then it wasn’t something that you needed. If a used lt is the same price and the extra stuff is what you need then great. But it comes down to format over price. Lt is still too big for a lot of people. Stomp and stomp xl were designed to be part of a pedalboard setup. You can do that with lt but you’d need a big board. 

Does that make sense or am I babbling? Been a long day. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4057
    edited March 2021
    Voxman said:
    StefB said:
    £599 at Peach. 

I don’t think this it getting blood out of a stone at all, it’s a HX Stomp with more switches which is what a lot of people wanted, as seen with all the 2 button footswitches next to them on pedalboards. To me the the XL is compact, functional and would actually be my choice from the whole Helix range.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Voxman said:
    StefB said:
    £599 at Peach. 

As I’ve said to other people in various places, it really isn’t that at all. People have literally been requesting this. For a while. This is what we do as a company. We listen and we give people what they want. If you weren’t asking for an HXFX with amp models or a stomp with more buttons then it wasn’t something that you needed. If a used lt is the same price and the extra stuff is what you need then great. But it comes down to format over price. Lt is still too big for a lot of people. Stomp and stomp xl were designed to be part of a pedalboard setup. You can do that with lt but you’d need a big board. 

So are we getting amp models in the HXFX? ;). Suppose thanks basically what the XL is with a few different features.

personally I think choice is a good thing
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    If you’re gonna get a used LT instead of a new Stomp XL because of the price maybe wait for the Stomp XL to be on eBay and get it for £400. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27039
    Part of me wonders when some enterprising soul might hack the HXFX to put Stomp XL firmware on it...which, let's face it, is what people asking for the Stomp XL really want ;)

I still don't get the thought process behind the button arrangement. Surely, in any kind of gig context, you want the ABCD buttons on the front row? It would make far more sense to have the Mode and Bank Up/Down buttons on the back row, with ABCD and Tap at the front.
    <space for hire>
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @digitalscream the way I'm using it, I'd set up with my own template - top three buttons snapshots (long hold for the fourth) and the bottom row I'd use for drive/delay toggles and the 6 switch looper.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Part of me wonders when some enterprising soul might hack the HXFX to put Stomp XL firmware on it...which, let's face it, is what people asking for the Stomp XL really want ;)

If I was cynical I'd say adding amp models to the HXFX would have made the stomp XL a much harder sell
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3421
    edited March 2021
    I like the stomp XL. IMHO the stomp is too compromised, with only 3 buttons and full Helix or LT is a bit big.

Atomic make an Amplifire 6 and 12 for the same reason that the Stomp XL exists. People want a compact unit, with more than 3 buttons.

When the original Amplifire came out it only had 3 buttons and lots of people started putting them on boards with external midi controllers.  Going from 3 to 6 (or 12) buttons gave everyone the options they needed. Stomp XL does the same.

Fractal and Roland/Boss should pay close attention.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    edited March 2021
    Having a long press option would open things a lot with the regular Stomp.
    Click to turn vibe rotary on, long press for fast speed, long press for slow speed, click to turn it off.
    The same for delay, long/short time...
    You can get a more out of the 5 buttons on the Boss MS-3 than you can out of the 3 buttons of the HX Stomp + a double aux. switch and, in the Boss, you can also add two double aux switches!
  • Its true that 3 switches on the normal stomp can be limiting but the command center in firmware 3.0 allows some quite nifty things like using one switch to cycle through snapshots which then leaves 2 free for tuner/tap or individual effects on/off.

You can also program in hold functions so press footswitch 1 for next snapshot, hold for previous. I agree it could be a bit of a faff but with two extra footswitches, the functionality could be better than the STOMP XL if the functions of some of those switches can't be changed and the footprint would still be smaller

I suppose enough people must have asked for it
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited March 2021
    Voxman said:
    StefB said:
    £599 at Peach. 

Helix take on the Boss MS3/ES5/ES8 concept please - no amps, no cabs, etc. 3, 4, 5, 8 effects loops for external pedals... midi in... midi out.... some built in DSP effects, expression pedal inputs, amp switcher output(emphasis on the plural!) - doesn't need a huge display, but something readable.

Essentially a small-ish command centre for your pedalboard, where you want the Helix for the occasional additional effect, but in the main you just want to switch some external drives or Strymons at the same time as switching your amp.

Bye!