Unexpected N(O)GD/happy ending - stolen guitars returned! Update: another happy ending! Update 2!

What's Hot
timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2401
edited October 2022 in Guitar
Honestly can't believe I'm posting this! This is going to be long, even as a "brief" version, so apologies in advance, but I want to share.

In July 2017 I was burgled, and 7 guitars were stolen: 6 of mine plus my flatmate's ESP EX. I made as much fuss as possible at the time - BBC, local paper, social media, etc, but all that did was pretty much ensure they were too hot to handle and they never resurfaced.

Time went by, I made peace that they were gone, and was fortunate enough through the combination of inheritance and a new job (no they weren't insured - lesson learned the hard way!) to slowly rebuild my collection to a point where I'm beyond happy with what I've got.

Then just after Christmas/early January this year, I saw a local seller on Facebook marketplace listing two of my guitars. Absolutely, undeniably my guitars. A very long story short (there's another thread under Friends in Need if you're bored/interested), the police weren't interested as I didn't have the serial numbers and they couldn't go off identifiable features, the seller was ultimately uncooperative and I didn't want to get myself or my friends into a dodgy situation in trying to recover them.
So once again, I had to make peace with the fact that they were gone - especially painful as I knew they were local - and resign myself to not seeing them again.

But then yesterday, my bandmate and dear friend woke up, as he put it, "on the wrong side of bed and bored".

Unbeknownst to me, he messaged the Facebook seller, who had actually been listing them for someone else, made some threats about the police still being involved and interested in the vast number of Macbooks and Louis Vuitton handbags he seems to shift through Marketplace and pointed out that we have his address, and offered him an out - get us in touch with the guy you were selling these guitars for, and we'll never speak to you again.

Within an hour, he had the phone number of the "owner's" uncle. Apparently it was some young lad who, after initially denying he still had them, admitted he'd bought them for £600. He claimed to have not known they were stolen, but to get these two for this kind of money (and then have them listed for £2k combined!) suggests otherwise.
His uncle was livid with him, and apologetic with my friend, and a deal was struck to hand over the guitars for a small reward fee at a neutral location. Thankfully this went smoothly and my friend appeared at my place like a knight in shining armour yesterday evening, brandishing these!

The Epiphone was my first "real" guitar. I've had it since I was 13, and modified it extensively while I was at uni. Seeing it again has brought back a lot of memories, and it's very special to me even if I've since acquired some Gibson big brothers. God knows who's added the awful scratchplate, as it was stolen without one. It was also stolen without its case, so I'm amazed it's still in one piece! The action is absolutely unplayable as-is, so I'm going to give it a couple of days to adjust then see what can be done at the weekend

The Strat I acquired at uni, and other than a crack in the case where it's been dropped and the scratchplate yellowing dramatically, it's fine! Again, could do with a setup but I'd honestly forgotten how nice it is. 

The oddest part for me is the weird mix of emotions. I'd made peace with never seeing them again twice now, so for them to suddenly reappear without me being prepared for it was - and still is, the next day - completely overwhelming. They'll both need work doing but I'm glad to have them back. I'm not letting myself get too hopeful about the other 5 guitars showing up - I'll keep looking, but I'm just grateful that this has even happened.

Now, my first question - god knows where they've been, but they both smell like a mix of smelly trainers, weed and... waxworks? Closest thing I can associate the smell with. It's nasty. 
Any tips for removing nasty smells from guitars other than leaving them by a window?
Tim
0reaction image LOL 86reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Bloody hell, that's quite a story! Very pleased for you, just glad your friend didn't come to any harm in getting them back!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14295
    tFB Trader
    Good news
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing story. What a friend you have there! So pleased to read this news.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Fantastic!
  • Wow!
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    Awesome!! Glad to see stories like these as well...so nice to read.
    Thank you as well for explaining the details, should we all keep pics of our Serial Numbers in case guitars get stolen? How can we be safe on that front? 
    Yes, awesome friend too. Enjoy having your guitars back with you, the smell should disappear.
  • That’s amazing.  Your friend sounds like quite a guy!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    I love a happy ending
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Cosmic Karma in action ! - great that you got them back, its the memories you have as much as the physical guitars I guess. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2401
    BahHumbug said:
    That’s amazing.  Your friend sounds like quite a guy!
    He truly is! He's about to acquire an expensive taste in scotch
    Tim
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    This is amazing news! Really happy for you - and happy new (old) gear day!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10247
    Awesome!!!
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2401
    Hydra19 said:
    Awesome!! Glad to see stories like these as well...so nice to read.
    Thank you as well for explaining the details, should we all keep pics of our Serial Numbers in case guitars get stolen? How can we be safe on that front? 
    Yes, awesome friend too. Enjoy having your guitars back with you, the smell should disappear.
    Yeah, my main takeaway is insure your guitars!
    But also that the police will not act at all if you do not have the guitar's serial number. I even pointed out to them that they can be scraped off or faked, but they treat a serial number for any product like you'd treat the VIN on a car, and that includes guitars.
    God knows where this leaves small builders or partscasters - not sure what to do about my parts Tele.
    Tim
  • Very cool! 

<goes and makes note of guitar serial numbers>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Wonderful news. Congrats and Happy New Old Guitar (s) Day!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Amazing news. I remember reading your thread in Friends In Need and being dismayed at how the police weren't interested... I hope your bandmate has the best karma in the world for getting these back to you.
  • timmypix said:

God knows where this leaves small builders or partscasters - not sure what to do about my parts Tele.
    God, yeah. I had a PRS that got smashed and needed a whole new neck. It was eventually rebuilt by Neil Morgan and Damien Probett, but the new neck has no serial number on it. I think I might have a record of the original serial somewhere, but there's nothing to link it to the guitar in its current state. I actually don't have it insured at the moment because I have no idea how to value it. I guess it's technically a fake (PRS on the headstock, neck not made by PRS) and therefore illegal to sell. It's also a unique guitar touched by three great luthiers and almost irreplaceable. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    This has literally made my day. I love a positive story, especially now in these grim times. The Epiphone must be the icing on the cake with the now rare original headstock design. :3
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    That's fantastic news! I remember the thread in the FiN section and I'll confess that I thought your chances of getting them back seemed slim to none, so this is great to hear.
    Your friend is a good mate for stepping in to help.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5652
    Awesome result, I'm incredibly pleased and happy for you and for the outcome.  

Also, what a true gent your friend is!  For various reasons I don't really have any friends - I'd truly love to have a mate like that!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.