Unexpected N(O)GD/happy ending - stolen guitars returned! Update: another happy ending! Update 2!

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2454
    Update: another guitar has appeared on Facebook Marketplace, also in Blackpool, having been bought from the very same Cash Converters, and the current owner says he even remembers seeing the purple PRS in there!

This time it's my old black LTD Ninja, which was an 18th birthday present from my Dad. I've managed to find another identical one since, but still, this tugs at the heart strings. We've compared photos and it's definitely one of mine.

However, having since moved from Salford to Birmingham, I'm not sure how or if I'll be able to recover it, and I suspect its new owner will still want to recover what he paid. So a tricky situation, and I may have to make peace with not getting this one back - as I had already done anyway, but still!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3108
    Erm.. how about trading him your identical replacement?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Erm.. how about trading him your identical replacement?
    He's not looking for trades otherwise that would be the sensible option!

Miraculously, it seems there are still good people in the world. I messaged him to explain the situation and he's very kindly offered to deliver it as he happens to be driving my way in a week or so.

Obviously not for free - It's not this chap's fault it was stolen half a decade ago, but he offered a price that doesn't leave him too out of pocket and is a bargain price for the guitar itself, and is worth it to get a guitar that's this special back.

I'll update in a week and a bit if all goes to plan, but absolutely not the outcome I expected- I expected to be dismissed and blocked when I messaged him asking for clearer pics of the top!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7661
    Is this the unfortunate chap that will be returning your stolen guitar?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Glad you got them back. But Jesus. My take from all of this is why do I pay income tax for Police?

When I recovered my PRS Custom 22 in 2018. The Met didn’t want to know. In fact they threatened me with arrest if things turned nasty. Fortunately I’m pretty good at conflict management and managed to get my pride and joy back for a couple of hundred quid reward. 

I’m wondering if there’s an actual business in recovering instruments now?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    So, as anyone who saw my last update may have predicted - of course it's not gone to plan.

Matey boy from Blackpool checks in last night to say yes, he's definitely coming down today, checks my address, then says he'll be in touch as he's also collecting something from someone else first - whatever, fine, not my problem - but would I mind paying a £200(!!!!) deposit as petrol's so expensive?

Naturally, I declined and explained I'd pay him the full agreed amount when he gets here - fine, understood, etc.

Now this morning: "Oh, sorry, my mate who was meant to drive me's let me down, I can't come down today."

So the cynic on my shoulder is fairly sure he was never going to come down and was just trying to get some cash out of me, and I didn't bite. However, he still seems fairly insistent on getting my guitar back to me and is asking if I've got mates up north who could pick it up - surely if he were intent on ripping me off, this would be too much effort and he'd have just blocked me by now? 

So, the plot thickens, and I'll see if I can pull a favour from a mate and hope this guy's just a bit naïve as to how he's coming across, as that's the impression I'm getting more than calculated scam artist.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1458
    edited October 2022
    timmypix said:
    So, as anyone who saw my last update may have predicted - of course it's not gone to plan.

So, the plot thickens, and I'll see if I can pull a favour from a mate and hope this guy's just a bit naïve as to how he's coming across, as that's the impression I'm getting more than calculated scam artist.
    That's annoying. The £200 for petrol does sound odd. If he'd asked for £50 or something like that, I could understand (plenty of people are skint at the moment) but £200 for a round trip between Blackpool and Birmingham seems a bit excessive. He might just be one of these annoying people who are unreliable – constantly changing arranged plans, relying on mates for a lift, that kind of thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    timmypix said:

That's annoying. The £200 for petrol does sound odd. If he'd asked for £50 or something like that, I could understand (plenty of people are skint at the moment) but £200 for a round trip between Blackpool and Birmingham seems a bit excessive. He might just be one of these annoying people who are unreliable – constantly changing arranged plans, relying on mates for a lift, that kind of thing.
    That's the vibe I'm getting from him, rather than malice - just useless!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you know who he is and where he lives I would have thought a 'law abiding citizen' that he'd want to deliver it in haste. I smell a rat myself but could well be wrong.
    Forgot to update this - I was indeed able to pull in a favour from a mate (gratitude expressed by the prompt order and delivery of posh brownies since), and all went well on Saturday - guitar recovered and now at my mate's house for future collection next time I'm up there or he's down here.

Even so, once the seller knew my mate was on the way (but hadn't yet arrived), he messaged me with his details asking me to pay straight away to "save time later" - not sure if he just doesn't know how transactions work but I didn't send him a thing until I had the call from my mate saying all was well!

Very odd, but a happy ending. Looking forward to getting it home once and for all!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypix said:
    Very odd, but a happy ending. Looking forward to getting it home once and for all!
    That's good to hear. Maybe this bloke was worried that your mate was just going to take the guitar without you paying for it? Looked at from his perspective, he might have been concerned that you, despite agreeing a deal, might intend to "steal" your guitar back. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 729
    Aww good to see some good news.  Glad it worked out :)