Unexpected N(O)GD/happy ending - stolen guitars returned! Update: another happy ending! Update 2!

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    To be fair, the guy at Cash Converters is actually playing this very straight with you. I’m actually quite impressed by his attitude on this.
    I hope it resolves well for you and well done to CC for being receptive. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    timmypix said:
    ... they wanted £630 ... they paid .. £160. ....
    That's quite some mark-up, isn't it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    mart said:
    timmypix said:
    Well presumably they need huge markups because 50% of their stock is at risk of being seized as stolen goods…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2401
    impmann said:
    To be fair, the guy at Cash Converters is actually playing this very straight with you. I’m actually quite impressed by his attitude on this.
    Yeah I was very pleasantly surprised by that. I called up expecting to be told to sod off and ring the police, but I'm guessing that's just as much hassle for them as well. I'm now trying to strike the right balance between optimism in hoping to get it back, and pessimism so I don't feel too crushed if I don't.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    mart said:
    timmypix said:
    Is the manager the same guy who runs Squealing Pig Guitars, do you know?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5652
    timmypix said:
    impmann said:
    Yeah I was very pleasantly surprised by that. I called up expecting to be told to sod off and ring the police, but I'm guessing that's just as much hassle for them as well. I'm now trying to strike the right balance between optimism in hoping to get it back, and pessimism so I don't feel too crushed if I don't.
    Given the type of business that Cash Converters is I'm quite sure this kind of occurrence isn't uncommon, I doubt it's their first rodeo and their response is probably well honed and reasonable as a result.

I doubt they'd want the hassle of involving the police, it'll just be a load of paperwork and bureaucracy for them and the cops that will end up being filed with no further action.

Wishing you the best for a good outcome and a happy ending.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    I had a recent experience with Cash Converters / eBay and stolen property (I bought something in one of their eBay listings which turned out to be stolen) and I have to say they were very helpful and straight about it. However, in this case there was a crime number and an existing investigation.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3046
    timmypix said:
    impmann said:
    I'm sure if you offer to involve the police they may be more willing to give you *your* guitar back without any payment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5652
    timmypix said:
    impmann said:
    I'm sure if you offer to involve the police they may be more willing to give you *your* guitar back without any payment.
    Or they might dig their heels in and demand more definitive proof, i.e., a serial number, before entering into a dialogue about returning the guitar.

Tough choice, for sure.  Not saying you're wrong, just that it might become more complicated, drag on and may not end with the desired outcome.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12368
    Where are all the sellers of these dirt cheap guitars when I'm looking for a bargain? My guess is they know the rogues and wronguns at CC, see some half dead smack head come in with a £4k PRS and think give him £200 ker-ching! 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Haych said:
    timmypix said:
    impmann said:
    Or they might dig their heels in and demand more definitive proof, i.e., a serial number, before entering into a dialogue about returning the guitar.

Tough choice, for sure.  Not saying you're wrong, just that it might become more complicated, drag on and may not end with the desired outcome.
    This is my gut feeling. I know the police won't help without a serial number so I'm willing to pay what I'll view as a "recovery fee" if it is the best course of action to get the guitar back with minimum fuss, even if it's not the most "proper" course of action.

Of course I could get there on Monday and this regional manager's spoken to his directors and they've shot down his idea of selling it back at cost, but from what I've gathered so far I think that's very much the best case scenario.
    Tim
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    timmypix said:
    impmann said:
    I would say that £160 to get it back isn't too bad - and a chance to at least put this one to bed.

Given that you would then be out of pocket, you could always pitch a compromise of splitting the sum, and both being £80 down - on the offer of not going to the police...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 986
    Hopefully the grain/signature from your photos is distinctive enough for them to accept it’s definitely yours.

Fingers crossed it all goes well.
    Well, I set off to Blackpool this afternoon and here I am home again with my guitar back!

The regional manager at Cash Converters was great - looked at all the pictures I had of it, understood how each veneer is completely unique, and the fact that it had been signed on the back by Mark Holcomb - signature still just visible - and I had pictures of it being signed clinched it for him. To make his bosses happy I had to buy it back at cost (£180), but I view that as finder's fee/lack of insurance punishment.

So, here it is! Utterly filthy, so it needs some TLC at some point this week, and the gigbag's gone AWOL at some point, but it's nice to have it back. 3 down, 3 to go!

Fretboard gunk linked separately cause no one needs it blown up enormously - so grim.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 26reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    timmypix said:
    Well, I set off to Blackpool this afternoon and here I am home again with my guitar back!

The regional manager at Cash Converters was great - looked at all the pictures I had of it, understood how each veneer is completely unique, and the fact that it had been signed on the back by Mark Holcomb - signature still just visible - and I had pictures of it being signed clinched it for him. To make his bosses happy I had to buy it back at cost (£180), but I view that as finder's fee/lack of insurance punishment.

So, here it is! Utterly filthy, so it needs some TLC at some point this week, and the gigbag's gone AWOL at some point, but it's nice to have it back. 3 down, 3 to go!

Fretboard gunk linked separately cause no one needs it blown up enormously - so grim.
    Result !!!

Well done - your determination and persistence is quite amazing.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Congratulations :) that’s awesome
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18828
    Bloody hell, you deserve your own TV show. Be better than some of the shite that is presently on  ;)
    Remind me never to piss you off :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4842
    Wow mate, glad you got it back and I'm enjoying the whole saga to be fair. Here's to you finding the rest in the near future. Take care 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    You’re the sort of person who if you fell out of a tree would fall into a new pair of pants! Congratulations - so glad it’s all turned out so well for you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That's really good news, very pleased for you!