The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6610
    edited March 2023
    VimFuego said:
    just finished Gold on the beeb, about the Brinks Mat robbery, highly recommended. 
    I worked my way through it over the week. Absolutely gripping television. I gather that it plays a bit fast and loose with the facts but as drama just great. Some tasty bits of period music as well. 
    We enjoyed it but it was definitely one or two episodes too long.

I also think that the 80’s stylings looked like they had been done by someone too young to have been there at the time - not very convincing.

The music was good, with the odd anomaly (Never Let Me Down by Depeche Mode didn’t come out until 1987).

Overall, a very watchable series with some strong acting. Paddington’s stepdad was very good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Watched Gold on catch up - good!
    Just finishing Deadwater Fell on 4.. Not the easier watch..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16422
    VimFuego said:
    just finished Gold on the beeb, about the Brinks Mat robbery, highly recommended. 
    I worked my way through it over the week. Absolutely gripping television. I gather that it plays a bit fast and loose with the facts but as drama just great. Some tasty bits of period music as well. 

I also think that the 80’s stylings looked like they had been done by someone too young to have been there at the time - not very convincing.

The music was good, with the odd anomaly (Never Let Me Down by Depeche Mode didn’t come out until 1987).

Overall, a very watchable series with some strong acting. Paddington’s stepdad was very good.
    I thought the styling was okay, or at least nothing leapt out that annoyed me. My normal beef with these things is that they try too hard, everything is too of the period; always looks like people lived in houses where they’d bought all the contents in the last week.  
    Quite why the chap from Solihull had a West Country accent is a mystery. Apparently in real life his wife did but he had an appropriately Brummie one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VimFuego said:

I thought the styling was okay, or at least nothing leapt out that annoyed me. My normal beef with these things is that they try too hard, everything is too of the period; always looks like people lived in houses where they’d bought all the contents in the last week.  
    Quite why the chap from Solihull had a West Country accent is a mystery. Apparently in real life his wife did but he had an appropriately Brummie one. 
    Courting controversy there, Eric; Solihull folk I have met strenuously deny being from Birmingham.

(Despite the fact that they are.)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 456
    goldtop said:
    We're watching Copenhagen Cowboy (Netflix). It's ... weird, very weird, but we can't stop watching. Serbian/Chinese immigrants in Denmark, and one weirdo who might be an angel or alien. But I really have no clue what's really going on. The plot has direction, but throws curveballs all the time. The cinematography is excellent, the characters are great and the direction and visual style is superb. The music is also frequently fantastic (especially if you like modern synth-based soundtracks). 

I can't imagine it's very popular with Netflix' mass market, so it's a bit of a surprising gem.
    Started this the other night, we’re a couple of episodes in and yes it’s weird as hell but strangely compelling. Nicely shot, very atmospheric and really quite unsettling. I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes and how it gets there!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    The capture on BBC. Weird shit..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1791
    @Offset ;

I can see that final episode of 1923 has been released so I may binge it now. Did you stick with it? Worth it?
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 949
    Just discovered ‘it’s always sunny in Philadelphia’ ,it just grows on you and gets funnier and weirder every episode…and there’s 15 series!

I lieu of doing anything useful I have been watching a lot of telly. Entire series of Unforgotten (it’s okay) and two series of Back to Life (BBC but currently on Netflix). Back to Life was really interesting, bit of a different comedy-drama thing. Some flaws but 25 minute episodes. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10594
    PhilW1 said:
    Just discovered ‘it’s always sunny in Philadelphia’ ,it just grows on you and gets funnier and weirder every episode…and there’s 15 series!

This is great, one of my faves 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Slow Horses, Apple TV. Based on the excellent Slough House books. I'm on the second season and it's been great with an excellent cast.
    It basically revolves around MI5 agents who have been put on the scrapheap for various cockups or misdemeanours.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 973
     ennspek said:
    Slow Horses, Apple TV. Based on the excellent Slough House books. I'm on the second season and it's been great with an excellent cast.
    It basically revolves around MI5 agents who have been put on the scrapheap for various cockups or misdemeanours.
    It stretches credulity a tad but it's it's really entertaining and Gary Oldman is fabulous.

Now watching Liaison also on Apple TV. Another thriller series with MI5 involvement and the French equivalent of. 
    The first episode was okay but I need to watch more before giving it a thumbs up or down. I like Vincent Cassel though.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 949
    Just binged ‘Chewing Gum’  
    absolutely bonkers, the lead actress, who I think wrote it is brilliantly bonkers too
    great fun
  • Rewatching The Sopranos. Just cos. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I lieu of doing anything useful I have been watching a lot of telly. Entire series of Unforgotten (it’s okay) and two series of Back to Life (BBC but currently on Netflix). Back to Life was really interesting, bit of a different comedy-drama thing. Some flaws but 25 minute episodes. 
    I meant to add - Back to Life is set in Hythe in Kent. I don’t think I’ve ever been to Hythe but the programme features local landmarks so if anyone is from there it would be must see TV! 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I thought Unforgotten was great. I'm saving the new one to binge.
    ennspek said:
    I thought Unforgotten was great. I'm saving the new one to binge.
    For obvious reasons it has changed a bit in the new series, I’m a bit undecided. Although I did watch the entire series over three nights so it clearly wasn’t too bad! 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1968
    edited March 2023
    Be warned. A new series called Night Court is airing in the States.
    Starring Melissa Rauch from Big Bang Theory it is terrible. Slow, weak and 'gentle' comedy with feeble characters you are left stunned by its insipidness. She made a fortune from BBT, why did she feel the need to do this?
    It's on a par with the remake of Open All Hours or final series Last of the Summer Wine.
    Brio said:
    Be warned. A new series called Night Court is airing in the States.
    Starring Melissa Rauch from Big Bang Theory it is terrible. Slow, weak and 'gentle' comedy with feeble characters you are left stunned by its insipidness. She made a fortune from BBT, why did she feel the need to do this?
    It's on a par with the remake of Open All Hours or final series Last of the Summer Wine.
    Does she do the Bernadette voice or use her normal voice? 

• BrioBrio Frets: 1968
    edited March 2023
    Normalish. You can still hear Bernie.