The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    Started on The Rig on Prime. I think someone on here had mentioned it? 
    Every f*****g sentence is either exposition or just bloody silly. 
    Visually interesting though, I'd quite like to see a making of. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1960
    Fauda (Nexflix)

Israeli intelligence / secret services thriller.  One season in and so far, think it's really good. Gritty and even handed on it's portrait of both sides. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Started on The Rig on Prime. I think someone on here had mentioned it? 
    Every f*****g sentence is either exposition or just bloody silly. 
    Visually interesting though, I'd quite like to see a making of. 
    Finished this last night. Sort of James Herbertish horror I guess. It remained quite poor. Some credible actors but I think that probably just proved the you can’t make a silk purse,etc. Even the visuals took a turn for the worse with some am dram props. There’s probably an okay 90 minute film in here but over the longer format of six episodes the general ridiculousness becomes more apparent.  
  • Extraordinary on Disney. Written by a Manchester student who graduated in 2020.

It’s a super powers comedy, about 3 20 somethings in a flat share and it’s somewhere along the lines of fleabag in tone. Everyone has a superpower when they come of age but lots of them are proper shit.
  • Just caught up on the most recent series of Inside No. 9 
    As a school teacher myself, who happens to live with a woman who loves people dressing up in animal masks, the Mr King episode was very disturbing…!

Also just watched the whole of Detectorists (very late to the party, obviously.) Marvellous series.

• Extraordinary on Disney. Written by a Manchester student who graduated in 2020.

It’s a super powers comedy, about 3 20 somethings in a flat share and it’s somewhere along the lines of fleabag in tone. Everyone has a superpower when they come of age but lots of them are proper shit.
    Watched the first episode this morning.  I realise that they are still establishing the characters but I found it very funny and like the premise.  

• Definitely made me and Mrs Brains laugh out loud a lot
    We have started on Extraordinary. MrsTheWeary thought it would be crap but it turns out she loves it. 
    Wet Leg on the soundtrack - that’s 90% of The Fretboard alienated. 
    Funny and clever. One of those shows where someone has thought about the detail, real labour of love. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1960
    I watched the first two episodes of Extraordinary tonight, really made me and the Mrs laugh. The date with the the guy who could give the touch orgasm was comedy genius. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23785
    Thank you all for mentioning Extraordinary.  It is so good.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Love Death & Robots (Netflix) - any good? 

I saw a brief review and clip of an episode called 'Jibaro' and the animation looked gorgeous. It seems to be halfway through the TV series, but I don't know if they are standalone or best viewed in sequence.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349
    edited January 2023
    goldtop said:
    Love Death & Robots (Netflix) - any good? 

I saw a brief review and clip of an episode called 'Jibaro' and the animation looked gorgeous. It seems to be halfway through the TV series, but I don't know if they are standalone or best viewed in sequence.
    Brilliant in my opinion.  You'll like some of them more than others but there's a wonderfully varied range of styles and some really good short story telling in there.
    ^ Cool - I will give it a go tonight after dinner.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23785
    Physical:100 on Netflix. 

It's a sort of real-life Squid Game, only no-one dies (hopefully) and the contestants are all athletes or fitness professionals of one kind or another - some massively strong, some more agile, and all different shapes and sizes, in direct competition with each other.  Netflix are releasing two episodes per week.  It's tremendous.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12558
    goldtop said:
    ^ Cool - I will give it a go tonight after dinner.
    Some brilliant, some meh.  Worth persevering with though.  As I mentioned earlier, 'In Vaulted Halls Entombed' is a fab slice of Lovecraftian horror.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1976
    Just finished rewatching Torchwood S3, Children of Earth.
    I still think it is one of the best things Brit TV has ever shown. 5 consecutive evenings of SF with a lot of plot and no wasted elements in there.
    I liked S4 as well but that was a long road to travel down.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    Finished series 2 of Vikings Valhalla. It’s still not quite as good as the earlier original Vikings series but the pace has picked up and the characters are a bit more bedded in now. Enjoyed it overall. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10619
    Discovered something pretty good on Netflix last night

Women at war, a series about 4 women and their lifes as the Germans advance into France during WW1

It's in French and all the better for it and stars the stunning Audrey Fleurot amongst others 

Highly recommended 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    We just watched Gervais' After Life. It's terrible, and I don't really know why Ms GT chose it, as she normally hates him.

It was billed as a dark comedy, but it's just not funny. The writing was all over the place, so many dead ends (sic) and extended nothing-burgers. I did like Gervais in The Office and Extras, but this was both dull and annoying. He cannot act emotionally - his character's grief never felt authentic. The only good thing about his character was that he (as a writer) surrounded himself with worse characters.

I even started disliking the dog when it staged the 'intervention'.

Bah! 1/10
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Been watching "The Gold" on beeb1 Sunday nights, about the Brinks-Mat bullion robbery at Heathrow in the 80's.

Amazingly I'm enjoying it more than Our Maud is 
    :)

It's said that if you bought anything gold since about 1988, it will contain some of the Brinks-Mat stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom