The TV Thread

What's Hot
1686970717274»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    AlbertC said:
    Eric on Netflix

This has slight shades of the film Magic (the one starring Anthony Hopkins as the ventriloquist) only there's more layers to it.
    I'm only up to episode 4 but so far it's pretty engrossing and well acted.
    Set in 80s I guess Benedict Cumberbatch is very good as the obsessed but self-destructive, alcoholic, Muppet-style puppeteer who's falling apart - his marriage is already on the rocks but then his young son is kidnapped. 
    The main cop is also interesting character with a complex background. Intelligent stuff so far - I hope it stays that way.
    I've started this too, it's excellent. Up to episode 2 at the moment.

The only slight issue I have - and it is a minor niggle, but I've noticed - is that from a bit of dialogue it must be set at least in 1985, but most of the styling and fashion is (very) early 80s, not mid-80s. I remember the 80s quite well so it's a bit jarring.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1976
    Just discovered Letterkenny.
    Totally blown away, love the lady hockey players...
    "Your mitt is so dusty it sings Son Of A Preacher Man"
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    rlw said:
    Douglas is cancelled.  ITV.  Managed 15 minutes of the first episode and gave up.
    Our Maud says to stick with it, it gets better as it goes on.

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4267
    Finished The Expanse yesterday. Took a few episodes to get into it but I was utterly hooked after that. I think it might be up there with Battlestar Galactica as one of my favourite sci-fi shows: I had that same "can't wait to see how it's going to turn out but don't want it to end" feeling.

Finished Dark Matter last week too: enjoyed it a lot, and liked how they ended it: doesn't really feel like they need another season of it, but TV execs being TV execs, I guess they'll make one.

...which reminds me, anyone got any idea when the next season of Severance is due to drop?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 924
    Philly_Q said:
    ^^  Without getting into whether or not anyone identifies with Donny, or anything much else about the story, they actually picked someone who looks a lot like the real person involved.  Although before she came forward they were claiming she "wouldn't even recognise herself" in the character.

As for Donny being "a fairly typical bloke about town", I think you need to watch the other episodes....
    He's typical in terms of demeamour, appearance, and wanting an attractive girlfriend, even if she is a recent convert to womanhood! There's someting of 'Mr. Average' about him which is what makes the stalking especially troubling and effective in dramatic terms - this could happen to us! A guy too distanced from ordinariness would distance the audience from his predicament.

I've watched up to the point where Donny has his meltdown in the stand-up comedy competition. I still think it's quite a brave dramatization in terms of reinforcing certain stereotypes about fat women. The fact that it's true to real events does not mitigate that, I think. Imagine a racial minority character that behaved according to a racial stereotype. Yes, you could make a true-to-life dramatization of this character's life, but there would be quite a few people, especially here in the US, who would not take kindly to the choice of subject -matter.

I'm not saying that producers should shy away from potentially offensive material, and, in fact, it's quite refreshing when someone does take a risk. It is noticeable, though, in these quick-to-be-offended times.