The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12541
    After a big gap Netflix put out the second part of the Korean remake of Money Heist and I have watched it.
    That’s it really, I just thought I’d write about it here as a way of marking the achievement. 
    It was neither an exact remake nor a reimagining but had elements of both. The bits around Korean politics made it sufficiently different that I think they should have ditched the more obvious direct lifts (such as using the same character names) and this would have given it more of it’s own character. But, in conclusion, if you are only going to watch one very long series called Money Heist probably watch the first Spanish one. 
    Oh and Berlin which is a spin off from the first two Spanish seasons comes out in 2023 so I’ll probably end up watching that as well. 
    I thought the gratuitous nudity in the Spanish version was a good enough reason to watch that version anyway? 

We’ve been watching Better Call Saul, we’re up to the last series now. It’s been superb throughout, better than Breaking Bad in some ways due to the brilliant plot twists and superb acting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Kilgore said:
    Nitefly said:
    Our Maud is getting well into "Traitors" on the beeb, with Claudia Winkleman hosting.  Doesn't look much to me, but she's quite invested now.

(Can you guess who watches most telly chez Nitefly?)

I didn't think much of the first episode but it's become increasingly entertaining as the contestants have become more and more paranoid.
    Thought it was tosh when the wife explained it to me as she was watching the 3rd or 4th ep. I’m now fully invested and it’s bloody great! 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1982
    I've just started watching Justified. Seven series out there so I've got a lot to wade through.
    Thoroughly enjoying it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Finished Better Call Saul last night. Wow, just wow, what a stunning series. It maintained a really high standard of writing and the acting was superb all the way through. I honestly can’t think of one duff character, writing or acting wise. So many tiny details that caught the eye and made you wonder what significance they might have or how they would be referenced later on. 

Trouble is I’ve now got to find something as good to replace it. I might well have to give The Sopranos another airing to fill the gap.  
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12629
    Have watched 1899 which I really liked. I think if you were a fan of dark you will like. Similar style without copying it. 

We watched the whole series of slow horses yesterday, that’s an atg of a series, I often don’t get the fuss about Gary Oldman but he is majestic in this.  
  • Brio said:
    I've just started watching Justified. Seven series out there so I've got a lot to wade through.
    Thoroughly enjoying it.
    Fantastic show. I binged all 7 seasons a few years back. Great characters, solid acting, and just well- written throughout.
  • I just finished Andor. Really enjoyed it. Felt like a grown up version of Star Wars. Hope they make a second season.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5811
    I've just finished watching Invasion on Apple TV+

10 episodes.  Quite slow.  Not sure how I feel about it - it's either really good or really not very good at all.  It's very intriguing whatever the case, and that made me stick with it.

There's lots of character development in the early episodes which makes it veeeeeerrrrrrrrry slow early on.  You don't actually see one of the aliens until about episode 5 or six, and then only in the dark so nothing is very clear.

The next episode you do get to see one in broad daylight, and it's weird and disappointing.  For years I've thought that depictions of aliens in film and tv was rather lame, they always take on a humanoid form which is kind of expected I suppose - special effects limitations over the years and lack of actors who don't have only one head and four limbs are probably in short supply.

Anyway, the creators of this show have really gone out of their way to make an alien species which is really quite other worldy in the way it looks and moves.  They also went to a great deal of trouble to build tension before we get to see the ET, so when the alien is eventually on screen it's just not scary - maybe the scary aliens are the ones that do look a bit like us but are also different enough in form to be "alien", if that makes any sense.

There's obviously a season two coming, I'll probably watch it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Brio said:
    Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities

Just started this. Ep one (of eight) was pretty excellent. I hope the others match it.

That's on my to watch list, his series ''The Strain'', is bloody brilliant, I think it's on Prime - I bought it on Google Play.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23869
    Anyone watch Richard Osman's House of Games this week? How on earth can Anneka Rice be 64 years old?
  • I don't watch the BBC much but its good to catch up on iplayer once a year or so.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Anyone watch Richard Osman's House of Games this week? How on earth can Anneka Rice be 64 years old?
    Ahh, I kept looking at her and wondering how old she is. Don’t think I’ll look that well preserved at 64. 

I haven’t given blood (bear with) for ages, I think I did it 21 times. The first time was when they did a blood drive on Challenge Anneka so I used to think of her when I was lying there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1351
    I'm enjoying the second series of Alice in Borderland at the moment.

It's not perfect and there's a lot of teen anx stuff and some bits that feel like the most self indulgent cut scenes of a metal gear solid game where the questions of existence and consciousness are contemplated, but....  the premise is fascinating, the games are quite clever (even if some are a more than a little derivative) and that makes it quite addictive, in a video game way, where you just want to see what the next level is like.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Philly_Q said:
    She mentioned her "Rear Of The Year" award yesterday - I wonder if that is still a thing?

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    edited January 2023
    I loved Alice In Borderland, I agree there's a lot of teeng angsty stuff in it but overall it's a great series and really addictive. Kind of reminded me of Squid Game but I preferred it actually.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23869
    edited January 2023
    Nitefly said:
    Philly_Q said:
    She mentioned her "Rear Of The Year" award yesterday - I wonder if that is still a thing?

Ended in 2019, apparently.  The list of winners is an interesting reflection of the fleeting nature of celebrity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_of_the_Year
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24909
    Currently watching S3 of Jack Ryan.

Very good. I hope they keep going with it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Currently watching S3 of Jack Ryan.

Very good. I hope they keep going with it.
    We’ve started watching it too, after the first two series were pretty good. It does suffer from the usual “baddies with automatic weapons somehow can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo” syndrome but the storylines and characters keep it watchable. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    Currently watching Three Pines on Prime, enjoying it so far. Nothing crazy just a good drama series.
  • Prior to starting on series 3, I'm rewatching the first 2 series of Happy Valley, it really is so, so good.