The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5811
    1899 on Netflix.

Weird, but I was hooked. Never saw it coming at the end.
    I gave up after two episodes - it was too boring and slow.  The weirdness hooks you in but it's just so drawn out that I lost the will to keep watching.

I'll bet, more or less, I can guess how it ends too.

Recently we watched the first two episodes of The Bletchley Circle: San Fransisco - that was good, but the following episodes were too contrived to be interesting - it was like; we have a team of British female code breakers in San Fran, we must find something for them to do - the premise was just a bit ridiculous to be believable after the first two episodes.  It has a good soundtrack, though, if you like jazz.

Last night we tried Mrs Wilson.  Again, it has the makings of a decent drama but the pace is soooooo slow I got bored by episode 3.

Why write a story that's interesting and has the potential to draw the viewer in and then drag it out so much that it becomes exasperating to watch?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23869
    munckee said:
    JEM said:
    "Dark" on Netflix.

It seems this is often characterised as a German version of Stranger Things but it's definitely not that. It's a lot darker and more adult orientated. I also personally felt it was a lot better but I wasn't really a fan of Stranger Things so YMMV.

The story is mind-bogglingly complex and it's often difficult to follow what's going on but I thought it was very cleverly put together. Well acted as far as I can tell although it's sometimes hard to judge with subtitles. Nice cinematography and the soundtrack is good if a bit OTT with the ominous sound effects.

Highly recommended.
    Tremendous show.  We had to pause the first series so many times for me to explain who people were in relation to each other that missus munckee gave up at the end. 

I watched the rest by myself loved the whole concept and particularly the end that’s how you finish a show. 

Complete opposite of lost they seemed to know the whole storyline from the start rather than just making it up after initial success. 
    I started watching Dark but got bored after three or four episodes. Maybe I should give it another go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have now seen all 8 episodes of The Peripheral, really enjoyed it, but by the end I was totally confused as to what was going on. Will have to watch it again...
    (Amazon prime)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10446
    Have now seen all 8 episodes of The Peripheral, really enjoyed it, but by the end I was totally confused as to what was going on. Will have to watch it again...
    (Amazon prime)

I got lost around episode three. Still sticking with it though.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • When you get to episode 8, there's an additional scene after the end credits 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12583
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:
    Currently annoying myself by watching 1899 (Netflix).

It's sooooo slowwwwwwww. And grey. Dark grey. Very very dark grey. Each episode is the same - slow ramp up of tension, some minor revelations, what can that mean, and then roll credits with very good retro rock/pop music. 

(It is very definitely post-Lost.)
    I'll be deleting that from my watch list later then...
    It's awful.  I gave up on it.  Tedious doesn't do it justice.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 412
    CHRISB50 said:
    Squad Goals: Dorking 'Til I Die

Documentary about my local women's football team and what happens when Calum Best (George's son and star of many  reality TV programs) takes over as chairman. It's on iPlayer / BBC3.

I enjoyed it. Easy watch as it's only 6 x 30 mins episodes.

Strange seeing the town where I live, and my house on TV. 

Now makes sense why there have been so many drones flying over the town recently (lots of aerial cutaway shots in the documentary).
    @CHRISB50 I saw your post and had to give that a look. I watched the first three last night.

I was torn between quite liking and hating it. I was born in Dorking, went to school there and so on.
    I still pass through once in a while. It was great seeing some places looking almost unchanged, and a bit odd seeing other places almost unrecognisable.

It all got a bit too 'Towie' for me at times. My other half grew up around Brentwood and she feels the same about that show.

Do you live near the ground, down by the Rec? I broke my arm falling from the top of the slide there way back when.

I'll watch the rest of it at some point I think, so cheers for the heads up (I am not recommending this show to anyone without a local connection purely because there are far better things to do)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    @Jfingers I know what you mean. I enjoyed it as I recognise the places etc. but it is quite a cheesy affair. Calum Best doesn’t help.

Where in the town did you grow up?  

We moved here during lockdown, Dec 2020. Our house backs onto Meadowbank. The playground is right behind our house. I know the slide you mean!  

Where did you go to school? My eldest is at Ashcombe. My youngest is at St Martins. 

If you’re interested there is a YT channel covering non league footie called Bunch of Amateurs. There’s 3 series now about the men’s Dorking side. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 412
    @CHRISB50 I grew up in Westcott, the slide I fell off was removed about 35 years ago I'm led to believe cos HSE etc, I doubt it's the same one.

The one I fell off was on about it's umpteenth coat of paint, I'd predict it was put there in the 50's.

I went to St Martins and the one that isn't Ashcombe.

I grew up drinking and/or fighting afterwards in Murray's wine bar, Applejacks, The White Hart, Kings Arms, Old House, Star, Bull, Cricks, Evening star which I think used to be down by Meadowbank.

It was a mad place in the late 70's and  early 80's. I  still have plenty of mates in that locale, I spoke to one of them last night in fact. A bloke I grew up with travels from the Isle Of Wight to watch Dorking men's side play. Mad...

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1863
    Just finished SAS Rogue Heroes and really enjoyed it. Hoping there might be a continuation series. 

Jolly good romp I’d say
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    edited December 2022
    Jfingers said:
    @CHRISB50 I grew up in Westcott, the slide I fell off was removed about 35 years ago I'm led to believe cos HSE etc, I doubt it's the same one.

The one I fell off was on about it's umpteenth coat of paint, I'd predict it was put there in the 50's.

I went to St Martins and the one that isn't Ashcombe.

I grew up drinking and/or fighting afterwards in Murray's wine bar, Applejacks, The White Hart, Kings Arms, Old House, Star, Bull, Cricks, Evening star which I think used to be down by Meadowbank.

It was a mad place in the late 70's and  early 80's. I  still have plenty of mates in that locale, I spoke to one of them last night in fact. A bloke I grew up with travels from the Isle Of Wight to watch Dorking men's side play. Mad...

@Jfingers ;We looked at Westcott before Dorking. It's a lovely village.

I didn't realise you were going back that far. The current playground is relatively new. 

The pub down by Meadowbank is now a community centre. It still looks like a pub but has a 5 a side pitch out the back. Sign outside says The Malthouse. Not sure if it's the same place you are thinking about but it's literally opposite Meadowbank stadium.

I drink in the Kings Arms / Old House / The Star (all down West Street). The Bull is on the corner of the High St as you go into the one way system. Never been in there though. The White Hart is still there but I've also never been in there. It's the one with Cotmandene behind it I think. Murray's is now a restaurant, it's opposite the Post Office. Applejacks I can't find much mention of. If Cricks is the Cricketers, that's still there on South St.

Meadowbank stadium is up for sale as far as I know. There's loads of petitions doing the rounds at the moment about it. I think the guy who owns DWFC Marc White (wideboy extraordinaire) wants to buy it off the council. Although in the Dorking Til I Die documentary he was looking at the Axa / Norwich Union site over by Pixham for the site of a new stadium. 

Dorking is a lovely but strange place. Seems pretty quiet now.

I grew up in South London (Morden). My wife's best mate has lived in Dorking for years which is why we ended up here. You see the same people everywhere, and everyone knows each other. It's taken some getting used to, and not sure we've really been accepted by the locals. I really like living in the the town, everything being walkable and having a bit of countryside on our doorstep. 

There do seem to be some pretty dedicated supporters. Travelling from the IoW is mad. I took my daughters to see DWFC vs York City a couple of weeks ago. One of the York fans had flown in from Berlin, to watch them get beat 1-0 on a cold and soggy afternoon in Dorking. Poor sod.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Given that the amount of decent TV offered up these days is miniscule, just wanted to express my delight that ITV 3 is now broadcasting Cracker, from the beginning.

I just caught the end of S1E2 so that'll be me set for the next while I guess ... probs some binge-watching too via ITV X after Thursday.

Seems particularly poignant to watch given the recent passing of Robbie Coltrane AND as it's also a Mrs F favourite,  we get to watch together without scrapping over the remote :lol: 
    Philly_Q said:
    bobblehat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    bobblehat said:
    Just finished "Only Murders in the Building" on Disney. Lighthearted murder mystery with Steve Martin. Really enjoyed it . Quite sweary so not a family watch. 
    I watched the first series and found it mildly enjoyable, after taking two or three episodes to get going.  Not sure if I'll bother with the second series.
    I enjoyed Series 2 more than one. So I'd give it another go.

I shall take that advice.  :)
    I'm finally watching Only Murders in the Building series 2.  It's been good so far.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited December 2022
    stufisher said:
    Given that the amount of decent TV offered up these days is miniscule...

Yeah, only 42 pages of stuff here  =)
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1982
    Why wasn’t I informed that S2 of Slow Horses is being broadcast? I loved S1. 

Brio said:

Well, it should be easy enough to catch up....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Philly_Q said:
    Brio said:

Well, it should be easy enough to catch up....
    Needs more than one LOL!  :)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Our Maud is getting well into "Traitors" on the beeb, with Claudia Winkleman hosting.  Doesn't look much to me, but she's quite invested now.

(Can you guess who watches most telly chez Nitefly?)

• After a big gap Netflix put out the second part of the Korean remake of Money Heist and I have watched it.
    That’s it really, I just thought I’d write about it here as a way of marking the achievement. 
    It was neither an exact remake nor a reimagining but had elements of both. The bits around Korean politics made it sufficiently different that I think they should have ditched the more obvious direct lifts (such as using the same character names) and this would have given it more of it’s own character. But, in conclusion, if you are only going to watch one very long series called Money Heist probably watch the first Spanish one. 
    Oh and Berlin which is a spin off from the first two Spanish seasons comes out in 2023 so I’ll probably end up watching that as well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Nitefly said:
    Our Maud is getting well into "Traitors" on the beeb, with Claudia Winkleman hosting.  Doesn't look much to me, but she's quite invested now.

(Can you guess who watches most telly chez Nitefly?)

I didn't think much of the first episode but it's become increasingly entertaining as the contestants have become more and more paranoid.