The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuego said:
    saw the series/show finale of Walking Dead last night. Not sure what to make of it TBH, felt kinda like they were killing off the show, but opening the door to a spin off. 
    I watched it last night. There is an epic thread on here somewhere about the show but like the show itself people just lost interest. 
    Yes, tidying a few things up and leaving it open for the Darrell series and the Rick specials (IIRC). 
    Having watched so much of it I just wanted to see it through, my level of actual interest being quite small in the end. 
    Oh and Darrell used the phrase ‘ the walking dead’ which wasn’t at all cheesey…
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    saw the series/show finale of Walking Dead last night. Not sure what to make of it TBH, felt kinda like they were killing off the show, but opening the door to a spin off. 
    I watched it last night. There is an epic thread on here somewhere about the show but like the show itself people just lost interest. 
    Yes, tidying a few things up and leaving it open for the Darrell series and the Rick specials (IIRC). 
    Having watched so much of it I just wanted to see it through, my level of actual interest being quite small in the end. 
    Gave up at the end of season 6 but would like to get it completed. Several forums suggest you can skip Season 7 and 8 without getting lost. Any thoughts on this?
  • bobblehat said:
    VimFuego said:
    Gave up at the end of season 6 but would like to get it completed. Several forums suggest you can skip Season 7 and 8 without getting lost. Any thoughts on this?
    Rick leaves part way through Season 9 (I can’t remember which episode) so you could watch it up to that point which sort of completes the show. After that’s it’s almost a reboot so alternatively you could watch it from post Rick and you’d follow the story arc until the very end. That would also encompass the whisperers who were the last good idea. Season 11 treads water a lot. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12541
    I stopped watching WD when the last series went to Disney. I don’t think I’ve missed much by the sounds of it? 
    We were also watching Fear the Walking Dead but that’s gone down a similar route to the original, all rinse/repeat storylines. Anyway the latest series is on Prime but it’s pay to view, so yeah, that’s not going to happen. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1982
    edited November 2022
    Loving Wednesday. Just seen the first 2 eps on the train to Weymouth. Like a dark Harry Potter with more fun.
  • Just finished The English. Looks great, good cast but basically a load of crap. Convoluted story that is not very engaging. 
  • Just finished The English. Looks great, good cast but basically a load of crap. Convoluted story that is not very engaging.

I'd agree with this, except to add some of it looks great, the rest is filmed in darkness and I couldn't see what was happening!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6310
    ^ ISTM that the overly-dark scenes of a lot of this made-for-streaming TV is to reduce the need for quality CGI. 

That 1899 series was super dark and all CGI. On the subject of 1899, at least it's one of the shows that you can watch at 1.5x speed and lose nothing. Still crap, though.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    1899 on Netflix.

Weird, but I was hooked. Never saw it coming at the end.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23869
    Just finished The English. Looks great, good cast but basically a load of crap. Convoluted story that is not very engaging.

I'd agree with this, except to add some of it looks great, the rest is filmed in darkness and I couldn't see what was happening!
    goldtop said:
    ^ ISTM that the overly-dark scenes of a lot of this made-for-streaming TV is to reduce the need for quality CGI. 

That 1899 series was super dark and all CGI. On the subject of 1899, at least it's one of the shows that you can watch at 1.5x speed and lose nothing. Still crap, though.
    All sounds like essential viewing!  ;)  I'll put them on my list.  The same list as Rings of Power.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    “Life” on Netflix.

ISS orbiting alien bollocks.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19552
    Don't have SKY TV, but their Arts TV stuff on UK FreeSat CH 147 is often bloody good.
    Just watched "Laurie Lee : The lost Interview"
    Smart & very intelligent. Enjoyable. If you like like that kind of thing...
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3967
    Tulsa King. Sylvester Stallone as an old mafia guy. His acting is wooden at times, but he has an aura and I'm really enjoying it as a light-hearted romp. 
  • JEMJEM Frets: 150
    "Dark" on Netflix.

It seems this is often characterised as a German version of Stranger Things but it's definitely not that. It's a lot darker and more adult orientated. I also personally felt it was a lot better but I wasn't really a fan of Stranger Things so YMMV.

The story is mind-bogglingly complex and it's often difficult to follow what's going on but I thought it was very cleverly put together. Well acted as far as I can tell although it's sometimes hard to judge with subtitles. Nice cinematography and the soundtrack is good if a bit OTT with the ominous sound effects.

Highly recommended.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12629
    JEM said:
    "Dark" on Netflix.

It seems this is often characterised as a German version of Stranger Things but it's definitely not that. It's a lot darker and more adult orientated. I also personally felt it was a lot better but I wasn't really a fan of Stranger Things so YMMV.

The story is mind-bogglingly complex and it's often difficult to follow what's going on but I thought it was very cleverly put together. Well acted as far as I can tell although it's sometimes hard to judge with subtitles. Nice cinematography and the soundtrack is good if a bit OTT with the ominous sound effects.

Highly recommended.
    Tremendous show.  We had to pause the first series so many times for me to explain who people were in relation to each other that missus munckee gave up at the end. 

I watched the rest by myself loved the whole concept and particularly the end that’s how you finish a show. 

Complete opposite of lost they seemed to know the whole storyline from the start rather than just making it up after initial success. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24909
    I've given up with Manifest.

It started as a lighthearted mystery with a bit of dodgy government agents thrown in.

It's developed into something that can be best described as what the Lost writers threw away.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12541
      ^ Christ really? I didn’t think anything could be that bad? 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24909
    boogieman said:
      ^ Christ really? I didn’t think anything could be that bad? 

Plane disappears for 5 years. Time doesn’t move for the passengers. Then they start getting visions… including of a 15C sailboat captain seeing a strange thing in the sky… it’s the plane gone back in time… then it’s clearly a purgatory allegory.

It’s so bad. But not in a fun way. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Just watched dead to me. Not really my usual kind of thing but I got drawn in. Keeps you gripped and has some quite funny moments too.
    Not too heavy and quite fun considering the subjects.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    Squad Goals: Dorking 'Til I Die

Documentary about my local women's football team and what happens when Calum Best (George's son and star of many  reality TV programs) takes over as chairman. It's on iPlayer / BBC3.

I enjoyed it. Easy watch as it's only 6 x 30 mins episodes.

Strange seeing the town where I live, and my house on TV. 

Now makes sense why there have been so many drones flying over the town recently (lots of aerial cutaway shots in the documentary).

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to