The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Watching 'Money Heist: Korea – Joint Economic Area'.
    It is excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    It is excellent.
    @octatonic did you watch the original Spanish ones? Interesting what they have and haven't brought across from the original. I suspect that the Korean one is better viewing if you aren't distracted by points of comparison. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    edited September 2023
    swiller said:
    duotone said:
    swiller said:
    Ok..
    Im a big fan of top boy on netflix. 
    Was happy to hear the final season was to be released yesterday so had allocated yesterday evening to watch the full 6 episodes / 5 hours of it.
    Id seen a 4/5 review of it a week or so ago so was expecting it to be maybe as good as the rest, but fuck my goat its an absolute banger. 
    If you have not heard of top boy and vaguely interested in things like the godfather, breaking bad etc.. Watch the lot you shouldnt be disappointed. Confusingly the series are split, into summerhouse 1+2 (watch first), then standard top boy - remaining. Thats the sequence.
    Has everything, highly recommended. For me better than breaking bad and pure UK authenticity with some of the actors chosen from actually growing up in the area etc.
    An utter masterpiece of a final series 12/10.

Cheers @swiller ;;
    I plan on signing up to Netflix for a month or two to watch this. Thoroughly enjoyed the other 4 series after @Danny1969 sang its praises.  I take it this is the end of the series, never to return again?
    apparently yes. It was rapper drake who funded this one as he loved it. 
    I suspect however and massively hope, that it will be an ongoing franchise. But it does also kind of conclude with this season.
    @swiller ;;

Reading into it now it seems like Season 1 (4 episodes) &  Season 2  (4 episodes) were done for Channel 4 (2011-2013) & then it was cancelled. 

So Season 3 (10 episodes), Season 4 (8 episodes) & Season 5 (6 episodes) all have Drake’s backing/money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49598537

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    octatonic said:
    It is excellent.
    @octatonic did you watch the original Spanish ones? Interesting what they have and haven't brought across from the original. I suspect that the Korean one is better viewing if you aren't distracted by points of comparison. 
    I haven't.
    I'm learning Korean so watching just K Drama at the moment.
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    It is excellent.
    I haven't.
    I'm learning Korean so watching just K Drama at the moment.
    Ahh. Essentially it's the same plot (except for the reunification of Korea obviously) and mostly the same character names. Just Korean cultural references and no nudity and no mention of homosexuality.Probably the Korean one has tighter plotting as a benefit of being a remake. 

• I just started The Sopranos.

Late to the party as always! 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just started The Sopranos.

I'm so jealous you have that journey ahead of you!
    Enjoy.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    I'm watching Warrior series 3 on sky.  It's not the wire but if, like me, you like kung fu and westerns then it's pretty great.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    I just started The Sopranos.

Enjoy.
    It’s still the best tv series to come out of the US as far as I’m concerned and I definitely need to watch it again. Haven’t seen it for about 10 years and I’m sure I’ve forgotten an awful lot of it. 
  • boogieman said:
    I just started The Sopranos.

Enjoy.
    It’s still the best tv series to come out of the US as far as I’m concerned and I definitely need to watch it again. Haven’t seen it for about 10 years and I’m sure I’ve forgotten an awful lot of it. 
    Same here - I even have it all ready for rematch, but just don't have time atm.

It's definitely top3 for me. Along with The Wire and Boardwalk Empire. 

Breaking bad, Game of Thrones, Succession- all quite close as well.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    edited September 2023
    Just started watching the new series of Top Boy. 

As others have said, it's a top notch gangster drama.
    edited September 2023
    Series 2 of Wheel of Time has started on Prime. We’re three episodes in and for me it’s much better than the first series. The pacing has improved, the CGI is less noticeable and obviously the characters are well bedded in now. I’m still not convinced that Rosamund Pike was a great choice as a lead character as she’s very wooden, her expression barely ever changes. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    boogieman said:
    Series 2 of Wheel of Time has started on Prime. We’re three episodes in and for me it’s much better than the first series. The pacing has improved, the CGI is less noticeable and obviously the characters are well bedded in now. I’m still not convinced that Rosamund Pike was a great choice as a lead character as she’s very wooden, her expression barely ever changes. 
    That’s fairly positive. I’ve been debating whether i could either be bothered to watch series 2 as s1 was not great. 
    Finished Top Boy.

Excellent! 

• Kilgore said:
    Finished Top Boy.

Excellent! 

This is great to hear - I'm looking forward to watching last season.
  • The Woman in the Wall 

BBC/iPlayer

Fairly slow. Quite grim. But clever and some great performances. 
    Seems to have had some bad reviews in Ireland for making drama out of a national tragedy but great reviews in the UK where we seem to be less concerned! 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    * Yep, Our Maud has been quite gripped by it - most miffed that she had to wait for episodes instead of being able to binge it.

Just binged The Long Shadow.

Drama about the Yorkshire Ripper murders.

It doesn't focus on Sutcliffe at all. It's more about the shambolic police investigation. The unfounded assumptions and bad management from senior officers that led to the investigation going down a succession of blind allys and missed opportunities to catch him earlier.

The victim blaming attitudes of the time that considered the girls to be 'just' prostitutes and the reluctance to take seriously those who survived the attacks.

It  holds a mirror up to contemporary  police behaviour and failings, violence against women etc, etc.

The above makes it sound a bit dry, but it was cracking drama at the same time with a cast including Toby Jones and David Morrissey.

Just finished watching series 2 of Wheel of Time. Thought it was very good, certainly head and shoulders above series 1, looking forward to the next one. 
  • Bargain on Amazon prime.
    Being compared favourably to Squid game, though I'm not convinced.
    Can't say much about it without giving the plot away.
    Episode 1 opens with young woman in school uniform negotiating price for selling her virginity. 8/10
    Episodes 2-6, 5/10