The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Up to date with Only Murders. Gone from silly to very silly but it has a helluva cast list. 

Started on Mr Mercedes on Star. Jeepers it’s grim at times but also quite gripping. Brendan Gleeson doing a fine job as Detective Hodges. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is anyone watching "Gen V".  Its a The Boys - spin-off.  Same gory, dark humour, set in a university for young and aspiring superheros.   Up to episode 3 and looking good so far.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23623
    edited October 2023
    Is anyone watching "Gen V".  Its a The Boys - spin-off.  Same gory, dark humour, set in a university for young and aspiring superheros.   Up to episode 3 and looking good so far.
    Not started yet, but I intend to!

Edit:  Four episodes in.  At the start I was thinking hmmm, new characters, I may not like them... but it's fantastic.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Im really saddened by this.  Been watching it for years.  Its crap, but compulsive crap.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    Watching Gen V and it’s brilliant, as good as the Boys. 

Im also watching the new house of usher series in Netflix, it’s pretty good so far. 
    Philly_Q said:
    Im really saddened by this.  Been watching it for years.  Its crap, but compulsive crap.
    I was looking forward to watching it every day when I retire.  Now that dream has been shattered....

It is a bit of a shame though, really.  There are worse shows on TV.  And it was the daytime equivalent of The Bill or Casualty in the sense of providing bit-part work to actors on the way up... or down.
    munckee said:

Im also watching the new house of usher series in Netflix, it’s pretty good so far. 
    Me too, I'm six episodes in.  Apparently this is the last series Mike Flanagan's contracted to make for Netflix, I wonder what he'll move on to next?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I was looking forward to watching it every day when I retire.  Now that dream has been shattered....

It is a bit of a shame though, really.  There are worse shows on TV.  And it was the daytime equivalent of The Bill or Casualty in the sense of providing bit-part work to actors on the way up... or down.
    I’ve seen a few episodes, my mum is addicted to it. Must be the only surgery in the whole of the UK where people can just wander in to see a doctor without booking an appointment 5 weeks in advance, or the GP’s have time to go and see a patient in their home because they’re worried about them. 
    boogieman said:
    Must be the only surgery in the whole of the UK where people can just wander in to see a doctor without booking an appointment 5 weeks in advance, or the GP’s have time to go and see a patient in their home because they’re worried about them. 
    5 weeks in advance would be luxury!  You can't book appointments at all with my GP, unless you try every day to get an online consultation, at which point you might get an in-person appointment if they think you could be at death's door.

And home visits, imagine that!  Not since the days of Dr. Finlay's Casebook...  Actually when we were kids the GPs always did home visits.  For a while my uncle was our GP, but that didn't last long.  I guess he must have moved to a different surgery.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1962
    He wasn't really your uncle. That was just what your mum said.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Brio said:
    He wasn't really your uncle. That was just what your mum said.
    No, he really was.  He was my mum's first cousin.  Actually now I'm making it sound worse...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    munckee said:

Me too, I'm six episodes in.  Apparently this is the last series Mike Flanagan's contracted to make for Netflix, I wonder what he'll move on to next?
    Finished The Fall of the House of Usher.  It does a pretty good job of referencing lots of Edgar Allan Poe stories in quite a satisfying way, without being at all faithful to them.  They're not afraid to quote big chunks of poetry.  And the last episode wraps it all up nicely.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    All the Light We Cannot See (Netflix)

This is a remake of Allo Allo. It's not meant to be, but that's exactly what you get over 4 episodes. Hugh Laurie is Rene, Herr Flick has gone violently psycho, and there's a secret radio in a loft somewhere in St Malo. And the painting of the fallen madonna with the big boobies is replaced by an unfeasibly large and mysterious diamond. There are radios you can repair with chewing gum; secret messages from the resistance in a baguette. (Yes, really.)

The writing budget was spent on unnecessary special FX, the laughs replaced by violence. Unlike Allo Allo, the accents are annoyingly unfunny. All the French people are played with middle-class British accents, I don't think there's a French actor in it.

3/10 (the missus made me watch it!)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5786
    goldtop said:
    All the Light We Cannot See (Netflix)

This is a remake of Allo Allo. It's not meant to be, but that's exactly what you get over 4 episodes. Hugh Laurie is Rene, Herr Flick has gone violently psycho, and there's a secret radio in a loft somewhere in St Malo. And the painting of the fallen madonna with the big boobies is replaced by an unfeasibly large and mysterious diamond. There are radios you can repair with chewing gum; secret messages from the resistance in a baguette. (Yes, really.)

The writing budget was spent on unnecessary special FX, the laughs replaced by violence. Unlike Allo Allo, the accents are annoyingly unfunny. All the French people are played with middle-class British accents, I don't think there's a French actor in it.

3/10 (the missus made me watch it!)
    Love the review, made me chuckle.

We watched and thought it was ok, actually, but now you're said all that I see it in a different light - you are quite accurate in your conclusions.

I didn't like the ending, mind.  When the blind girl and the German lad finally meet it went a bit "wtf, really?"

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    Just watched:

Series 2 of Time, probably as good if not better than the first but reminds me of the film scum in terms of making me think I'd probably try and do myself in rather than face choky.

Blue eyed samurai, very enjoyable if you are a fan of animation and samurais.

Have rewatched Rings of Power, the timelines are all wrong if you have read the appendices to LOTR which is a constant source of irritation, but still watchable.

The Met - absolutely great but shocking TV, why would anyone be in the police.....

• Started on Mr Mercedes on Star. Jeepers it’s grim at times but also quite gripping. Brendan Gleeson doing a fine job as Detective Hodges. 
    Season 1 of Mr Mercedes a gripping if rather grim thriller. Season 2 takes it off in less, err, realistic direction but you still want to know what happens. Season 3 is a horrible mish mash that I watched because I'd stuck with it so far.

One of the characters in the series is Holly who, I gather, was also a character in the TV series The Outsiders and is the focus of King's last novel Holly. So to be really completist I could...no, I'm not going to. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    munckee said:
    Have rewatched Rings of Power, the timelines are all wrong if you have read the appendices to LOTR which is a constant source of irritation, but still watchable.

Wow, the term "glutton for punishment" springs to mind.  I got through about two and a half episodes... I know about all the shocking twists and surprises, so there's no way I'm going back to it.
    I have just (re)started Marianne on Netflix.  I watched the first episode ages ago but somehow never got round to continuing, so I started again.  After all the terrible, incompetently made horror movies I have watched in the last few weeks, it's reassuring to be reminded that it is actually possible to make something atmospheric and scary.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    edited November 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    munckee said:

Wow, the term "glutton for punishment" springs to mind.  I got through about two and a half episodes... I know about all the shocking twists and surprises, so there's no way I'm going back to it.
    It does eventually get better and was quite involving by the end, but it was a    v  e  r  y   s  l  o  w  burn to get there. Wheel of Time was infinitely better in series 2 and I’m hoping RoP is going to be the same deal. When is Series 2 due, anyone know? 

I don’t really care about the timelines as I haven’t read The Silmarilion etc. As long as the storylines flow and make sense that’s fine with me.