The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10360
    Ozzie744 said:
    Watching two things on Amazon...
    Fargo season 5, as above, brilliant.
    Reacher season 2, dreadful.
    I just finished season 5 of Fargo and I agree, Brilliant!

Finished it last night too. Great season, back on form. Brilliant ending to, I almost had a tear in my eye.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1326
    Yep Fargo was epic.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    Started on After the Flood and the latest series of Fargo. The latter is superb so far (we’re 3 episodes in) and has lots of echoes of the original film, definitely no bad thing. 

Still reserving judgement on After the Flood as it hasn’t really grabbed me yet. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4936
    Nitefly said:
    I watched the first episode of After The Food last night on ITV really enjoyed it.
    Will probably binge watch the rest over the next few days on itvX.
    LOL, went looking for "After The Food", couldn't find it - it's "After The FLood"!!!!

Doh!

OM finished it last night, said she really enjoyed it and would recommend.  She still calls it After the Food in honour of your typo, @Fingers657 ; :3

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Nitefly said:
    Nitefly said:
    I watched the first episode of After The Food last night on ITV really enjoyed it.
    Will probably binge watch the rest over the next few days on itvX.
    LOL, went looking for "After The Food", couldn't find it - it's "After The FLood"!!!!

Doh!

OM finished it last night, said she really enjoyed it and would recommend.  She still calls it After the Food in honour of your typo, @Fingers657 ; :3

Ah I didn’t notice the typo.
    I wasn’t that impressed with the last episode.
    I guess they left it so they can make a second series at some point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 785
    edited January 26
    I've just watched two short series documentaries on Netflix, "Bad Vegan" and "Wild Wild Country".

Both really interesting stories about cults, crime, mind control, money and much more!

Both worth a watch imo. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3048
    edited January 27
    Watched episode 1 of Masters of the Air (Band of Brothers but with WW2 bomber squads). Was excellent as expected.. the bombing raids are so full of tension. It seems I’ll be subscribing to Apple TV+ to view the rest (first episode can be viewed for free) 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15711
    yeah, looks good. I was sightly put off by the trailers, but the actual episodes are excellent.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 873
    I am reticent about watching Masters of the Air because of the CGI and how the imagery comes across in the trailer.

What's your view @MagicPigDetective ; ... is the plot/story robust enough and told well enough to counteract the FX?
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3048
    edited January 28
    stufisher said:
    I am reticent about watching Masters of the Air because of the CGI and how the imagery comes across in the trailer.

What's your view @MagicPigDetective ;; ... is the plot/story robust enough and told well enough to counteract the FX?
    I didn’t even think about the CGI, it looks incredible… the technology allowing them to make scenes that would otherwise be impossible. If you read how they filmed the scenes in the planes…
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/jan/23/nazis-spielberg-hanks-masters-of-the-air-band-of-brothers-the-pacific-east-anglia-bombing-raids

“ These nerve-shredding scenes were filmed in what’s known as “a volume” – a giant, horseshoe-shaped bank of LED screens on to which CGI images are projected in real time behind the actors. “We were put into these replica B-17s built on supports that went 50ft up in the air,” Boyle explains. “Traditionally, you look at a green screen and act to a green tennis ball or whatever.” Here, however, the actors could look out of the window and see incoming enemy fighters, just like the viewer does. And the planes would tilt and jolt in response to the action. “It was like Alton Towers,” says Boyle. “We didn’t really have to act.”

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15711
    stufisher said:

What's your view @MagicPigDetective ; ... is the plot/story robust enough and told well enough to counteract the FX?
    IMO the trailers don't do the show justice. There's a lot more plot, character development etc. in the show than the mere CGI, however the trailers make it look very "action". It's not like that at all. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    stufisher said:

IMO the trailers don't do the show justice. There's a lot more plot, character development etc. in the show than the mere CGI, however the trailers make it look very "action". It's not like that at all. 
    Yep… judging by the first two episodes there’s one bombing mission per show, but a lot of time is given to the characters before and after the missions… like Band of Brothers I expect we’ll get attached to the characters and feel the emotions of their journey (into hell and back, if they’re lucky) 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 391
    Change was a fun series, so thanks to whoever mentioned that. We watched it on ITVX.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1007
    I finished the last series of Top Boy on Friday evening. Really enjoyed the show as a whole, although the last series felt a bit rushed & they crammed too much into 6 episodes IMO.

7.5/10
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2383
    edited January 28

Masters of the Air

Apple TV

I don't pay Apple for stuff but my daughter does so we watched the first episode of the mega budget Tom Hanks-backed World War II Americans-in-Britain fighter pilot series.

I'd seen a few clips and I really wanted to like it.  Looks amazing and the CGI is so good it’s mostly barely perceptible. But I didn’t want to use subtitles and the dialogue was very mumbled and usually inaudible, while the narration was not.

The air fighting scenes are technically very good of course, but you can’t tell what’s happening or who the people in the planes are so it’s confusing... I suppose that's realistic to what the young pilots endured. but it doesn't help telling a story

Unfortunately the characters seemed to me lazily predictable too, and so the whole thing failed to emotionally connect with me.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2640044/

Criminal Record

Apple TV

Another new on on my daughter's account while she is living with us for a while. One episode watched. This is great. Not an especially original crime Police procedural scenario, at least in the initial story telling, but you can tell this one is going to go deep complicated and unpleasant. 

Peter Capaldi stars a wily old-school DCI alongside Cush Jumbo (no, I'd never hear do either either - but she's wonderful) as a young black lady investigating officer whose tenacity on a case of a missing young woman who reported a threat to her life is starting to lead to some dangerous territory. 

Capaldi exudes hollowed-out wiry menace.

on this evidence at least  8/10

• rze99 said:

Unfortunately the characters seemed to me lazily predictable too, and so the whole thing failed to emotionally connect with me.
    That's an interesting take given the characters are based on real people's accounts of their experiences during WWII. Perhaps people really are all predictable?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    rze99 said:

That's an interesting take given the characters are based on real people's accounts of their experiences during WWII. Perhaps people really are all predictable? 

OR

I really should have said I only watched the first episode so likely the characters will develop  
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3929
    edited January 29
    True Detective S4 - Night Country

I'm two episodes in and enjoying it. Some interesting characters, Jodie Foster is great and the whole atmosphere is cool. An underlying humour to it too. The corpsicle lol. Seems more accessible than seasons 2-3 after the brilliant S1.  
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1685
    Lebarque said:
    True Detective S4 - Night Country

I'm two episodes in and enjoying it. Some interesting characters, Jodie Foster is great and the whole atmosphere is cool. An underlying humour to it too. The corpsicle lol. Seems more accessible than seasons 2-3 after the brilliant S1.  
    Lots of parallels with Fortitude so far - including the appearance of Christopher Ecclestone.