The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Philly_Q said:
    Kurtis said:
    Cheers! Got prime. 
    I think you'd have to sign up for a free 7-day trial of Paramount+, via Prime.  Which might work for you, but I'm hopeless at remembering to cancel free trials at the end of the period.

yeah you're right  - it "googled" as being available on Prime or P+,   turns out its on P+,  which our subscription isnt via Prime (cos it was cheaper as stand alone)

its good tho
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a bit late to the party as per normal, but finally got round to starting The Last Of Us to see what all the fuss was about. 

Wow, 3 episodes in and it really is rather good isn't it?! Hope it continues at this level for the rest of the series....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    I've been watching The New Look with Ben Mendelsohn as Christian Dior on Apple TV.

I thought it would be all about his couture, but it's actually a reasonably gritty drama about wartime France and the aftermath of the occupation.

Coco Chanel doesn't come off well. Plus, the fashion house Dior worked for made lots of ball gowns for the wives of the Nazi high command. Which surprised me, as it was my understanding that Hitler only had one ball.

One thing that annoys me is the English script performed in French accents. Can't we all just pretend everyone is French and have them speak normal English?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Started on Death and Other Details on Disney+
    It's, so far anyway, reminiscent of Agatha Christie adaptations, an unlikely ensemble of wealthy people and there's a murder to solve. If you like that kind of thing worth a look. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 9
    having watched and enjoyed the TV series version of Sexy Beast  we can report that the equivalent  for The Gentlemen, is even better
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 722
    The Tiger King

If ever any evidence was needed that people who own animals are off their rocker!  =)

Mad! 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6180
    Westworld. OK, I know I'm late to the party, but we've only recently signed up to Sky/NOW. I'm about 6 episodes in, just spotted the sort-of cameo of Yul Brynner in the background.

Pretty good and surprisingly clever. Well written characters. Being a series means that it better develops the ideas of android/life/meaning - the sort of thing that Blade Runner had to rush through. Liking it so far.

The odd bits of flesh helps keep the attention, too.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3039
    Finally finished watching The Following.   For a series that started so strongly, it really turned into an absolute joke of a farce in the end.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 377
    @bertie you were right. I've not been able to see the sexy beast series, but we watched two hours of The Gentlemen last night and enjoyed it despite the male lead being the bloke I hated since the first Inbetweeners film.

He's redeemed himself, looking forward to another couple of episodes tonight.

I could've guessed it was a Guy Ritchie project without being told, looking to see where he takes it next.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5676
    Started watching Detectorists on Netflix.  I'd heard about it before but never gave it much notice.

To say they've made something out of nothing would be an understatement.  

It's all pretty banal at face value but the characters are so well written it doesn't matter.  Toby Jones and McKenzie Crook are brilliant, and Guy Garvey is a very lucky chap, isn't he?!

I'm only part way through season two but it's just an absolute joy to watch - it doesn't require too much cognitive engagement so it's very easy watching and yet it's subtly very funny.

Loving it so far.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15600
    we loved Detectorists right from the start, on the face of it it seems a very gentle sitcom, but it's got some real edge to it. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1801
    Just finished The Gentlemen (the series) on Netflix and really enjoyed it. I like the film too.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3889
    Haych said:
    Started watching Detectorists on Netflix.  I'd heard about it before but never gave it much notice.

To say they've made something out of nothing would be an understatement.  

It's all pretty banal at face value but the characters are so well written it doesn't matter.  Toby Jones and McKenzie Crook are brilliant, and Guy Garvey is a very lucky chap, isn't he?!

I'm only part way through season two but it's just an absolute joy to watch - it doesn't require too much cognitive engagement so it's very easy watching and yet it's subtly very funny.

Loving it so far.
    Detectorists is absolutely superb, for all the reasons you've mentioned. I'll add the soundtrack too.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6180
    About halfway through Season 2 of Westworld, and it's all gone to pot. WTF! :anguished: 

It's now really disjointed, so much so that much of the drama gets neglected for two or three episodes. Don't get me started on the dull-monologue-in-lieu-of-plot BS.

I've tried to avoid reading anything about the next seasons, but did see that season 5 got cancelled. So now I'm wondering if I should cut my losses? 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 17
    I watched the excellent drama series The Gone set in New Zealand.
    Started on BBC4 last night at 9:00 with episodes 1 & 2 back to back.
    I watched those and went over to iPlayer to binge watch the next  4 episodes.
    A bit of a late night but worth it.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3889
    edited March 18
    the_jaffa said:
    Just finished The Gentlemen (the series) on Netflix and really enjoyed it. I like the film too.
    Just finished it too. A bit of fun, but such a shame Guy Ritchie can't churn out stuff as good as Lock Stock or Snatch these days. Vinnie Jones and Ray Winstone's characters were good though. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    I'm a bit late to the party as per normal, but finally got round to starting The Last Of Us to see what all the fuss was about. 

Wow, 3 episodes in and it really is rather good isn't it?! Hope it continues at this level for the rest of the series....
    Yes it does  =)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12394
    I watched The Real CSI the other day. It followed a murder case in the Midlands and showed the procedures to identify the killer… blood work, forensics, mobile phone analysis, CCTV footage etc. It was quite interesting but it does make you wonder about the intelligence of some of the force’s finest, especially when the lead detective stated: 
    “We have a call from the victim on her phone at 11pm on the 15th March. The victim was subsequently found dead on the 20th. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that the victim died some time between the 15th and the 20th March”

Well, no shit Sherlock. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 44
    Three episodes into The Glory on Netflix, a Korean drama about a bullied schoolgirl who in later life, seeks and plans revenge on her tormenters. It's gripping for sure and can't wait to see how it unfolds.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 377
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned Maniac - Netflix.

"Annie Landsberg and Owen Milgrim are two strangers who are drawn to the late stages of a mysterious pharmaceutical trial. Each has a different reason for participating in the experiment -- she is disaffected and aimless, fixated on broken relationships with her mother and sister, while he has struggled throughout his life with a disputed diagnosis of schizophrenia."

With Emma Stone and Jonah Hill in the lead roles. I found it weird but quite engaging. It reminded me a little of Stranger Things.