Awful songs that somehow made it.

What's Hot

Comments

• Show 2 is up on website for listen again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162
    I read some daft thing on social media about how your musical tastes were defined by the number one single when you were 14...heads to Google...Boney M and Mary's Boy Child...bugger...

Philly_Q said:
    Mr Boombastic by Shaggy.

Oh well, now you've reminded me, let's throw in Mr Lover Man by Shabba Ranks.

Both make me feel physically sick.

I listen to quite a lot of dancehall so Shaggy and Shabba absolutely fine by me. It's pretty soft stuff by the standards of the genre although I'm guessing that their failure to deal with Jamaican politics isn't your issue with them. I occasionally think I'll start a Dancehall Discussion on here but then I imagine the response will be tumbleweed and/or people who think they are funny going 'dancehall, yeh my parents used to love Joe Loss and his orchestra.' 
    I just looked up in my Guinness chart book ,you won’t believe it ,the number one single on my 14th birthday was Joe Dolce music theatre - shaddup you face :angry: 

my life was more defined by the number 4 hit I surrender by rainbow 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162
    Best Jeans ad was for Brutus Jeans which I think was made into a song called Jeans On by David Dundas. 
    That is definitely one of the great jeans advert songs , I think don’t be a dummy  sung by Gary numan takes some beating ,he sounds better than the original singer/writer

https://youtu.be/pAtrVeXDKD4
  • A lot of the records here are quite good. What about all the crappy soap opera covers

eastenders - anyone can fall in love  Every looser wins etc terrible 

Forgot those abominations
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I read some daft thing on social media about how your musical tastes were defined by the number one single when you were 14...heads to Google...Boney M and Mary's Boy Child...bugger...

Philly_Q said:
    Mr Boombastic by Shaggy.

Oh well, now you've reminded me, let's throw in Mr Lover Man by Shabba Ranks.

Both make me feel physically sick.

I listen to quite a lot of dancehall so Shaggy and Shabba absolutely fine by me. It's pretty soft stuff by the standards of the genre although I'm guessing that their failure to deal with Jamaican politics isn't your issue with them. I occasionally think I'll start a Dancehall Discussion on here but then I imagine the response will be tumbleweed and/or people who think they are funny going 'dancehall, yeh my parents used to love Joe Loss and his orchestra.' 
    I just looked up in my Guinness chart book ,you won’t believe it ,the number one single on my 14th birthday was Joe Dolce music theatre - shaddup you face :angry: 

my life was more defined by the number 4 hit I surrender by rainbow 
    Just by co-incidence I was reading something recently in one of the Saturday papers about the awful shaddup you face, (quite right not to capitalise it).  As every schoolboy knows, the song prevented Ultravox getting to number one with "Vienna", and Midge Ure was rightly peeved about it.  Dolce lives in Melbourne, and one time when Midge was in the city Dolce tried to organise a "fun" photo shoot - the Ultravox front man flat refused saying he didn't want anything to do with Dolce or his dreadful song. 

As is often the case with these one offs, the release of the song was a total fluke. A record publisher just happened to be passing by when Dolce was playing the song and the rest is history - Dolce has made an entire career out of it, it's a mad, mad, mad, mad, world.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    U2...entire collection 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    House of Pain - Jump Around 
    Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

You should count your blessings, on my 14th birthday the top spot was occupied by the England World Cup squad with "Back Home"...

BUT - it was bookended by "Spirit in the Sky" and Christie's "Yellow River" which are still two of my favourite songs and "Spirit" was a real go to when I played in a covers band.  Other number ones that year were "Tears of a Clown" and Freda Payne's "Band of Gold", two more songs that have stuck with me through the years.  And, the only Elvis song that we did was "The Wonder of You" which also happened to get to number one when I was 14.

So I think there might be something in this 14 years theory.  Looking back it does seem as though I started to develop what you might call musical appreciation at that age, and it was the year I bought my first guitar.  Though whether it actually defines your musical tastes is a bold claim.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    What sort of square was still listen to chart music at 14?
  • Me, 76, was a good year for music 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Reverend said:
    I'm still listening to chart music - and almost everything else - at 53.

There's good music everywhere if you choose to not ignore anything that achieves commercial success. And a lot of crap too... but that applies to every genre as well.

Not quite at 14, but 15 was actually the time when I *stopped* listening to mostly prog rock and metal and actually started paying attention to some of the great new music that was coming into the charts... 1982.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    born slippy - underworld, nice synth intro that lasts a few seconds, then 10 minutes of literally just drumming and someone talking over the top of it.
    Oh good call. No idea how this got popular. Just an ocean of shit.
    Reverend said:
    The sort whose parents didn't even have an FM radio let alone a record player...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Telly Savalas - If.

Actor most famous for playing shaven-headed New York cop Kojak speaks the words of Bread's song over a backing track of light orchestral pop.

This is absolute proof that by 1975 pop music was plumbing depths that were previously unimaginable. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    Telly Savalas - If.

Actor most famous for playing shaven-headed New York cop Kojak speaks the words of Bread's song over a backing track of light orchestral pop.

This is absolute proof that by 1975 pop music was plumbing depths that were previously unimaginable. 
    Oh no, after that came the 80s ;-)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    scrumhalf said:
    Telly Savalas - If.

Oh no, after that came the 80s ;-)

And judging by the Top of the Pops reruns of 1990 on BBC4, even worse is yet to come.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 

And judging by the Top of the Pops reruns of 1990 on BBC4, even worse is yet to come.
    No matter how bad you think mainstream pop music is now - whenever now is - 1990 was worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ICBM said:

No matter how bad you think mainstream pop music is now - whenever now is - 1990 was worse.
    You can see that it's the beginning of the end for TOTP as there was such a lot of dance music that didn't really fit the format. Even some of the recognisable name bands you see weren't at their best. The Charlatans? I know them, oh but I don't remember this one. Whitesenake? Of course I remember them but not this one. 
    Like having The Doolies in the 70s was waiting for punk to happen 1990 was waiting for grunge and Britpop. 

But watching those Rick Beato things where he goes through the Spotify charts the current ones are painfully homogenous, like every 13 year old in the world listens to the same thing.     
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    scrumhalf said:
    Telly Savalas - If.

!975 was indeed a low water mark for pop, and prog rock was also at it's zenith. Then I remember watching Dr Feelgood on "The Geordie Scene" and it was quite literally life changing.  There's footage of that show on YT and it still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end (even if seeing 15 year old girls dancing to "She Does it Right" is a bit weird, to say the least).

The following year a mate got the first Ramones LP as a US import - probably worth a fortune now - he told me to come round straight away and listen to it, put it on his stereo full wick, "Blitzkrieg Bop", guitar out of one speaker, bass out of the other.  There is no way a young person today will ever experience a thrill like that.  

So, Typically Tropical might still have been number one, but we knew salvation was on the way.
    EricTheWeary said:

But watching those Rick Beato things where he goes through the Spotify charts the current ones are painfully homogenous, like every 13 year old in the world listens to the same thing.     
    "It all sounds the same..."

... said your grandad in 1970 ;).

Yes, I'll admit the same thought has occurred to me now that I'm of a similar age, but there's still as much of a range of good and crap as there was then I think. There was a *vast* amount of utter drivel in the 1960s too, that's been long since forgotten.