Best ever basslines?

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Rocker said:
    In most of the posts on this thread, songs are named.  The reality is that the bass player played what the song needed.  He may have come up with the bass part there and then or it may have been worked on for some length of time.   Either way it was crafted to suit the song.  In isolation, it is just a guy noodling on a bass, in the song the bass parts become part of the song.  Everyone hopes that the total [vocals, drums, guitar, bass etc.] will be greater than the sum of the various parts.  When that happens, magic.  But it might have worked too if a different bass line was used.  Or a different guitar line.......

My main point is to suggest that you stop listening to the parts in isolation and listen to the sum total - the performance, what is released on record.
    I think you have kind of missed the point of the thread, chap.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5649
    Not sure I'd call it the best, there are so many to choose from, but I do like this one:

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    Can't believe you've not yet mentioned Forget Me Nots by Patrick Rushden..  it's an absolute classic.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    on a really boring long Teams meeting earlier and flicking around the forum, managed to accidentally treat everyone to the drum intro
    This is another great Bassline and a great track https://youtu.be/k1Qnt5bx1OI

Great song. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Hattigol said:
    Rocker said:
    In most of the posts on this thread, songs are named.  The reality is that the bass player played what the song needed.  He may have come up with the bass part there and then or it may have been worked on for some length of time.   Either way it was crafted to suit the song.  In isolation, it is just a guy noodling on a bass, in the song the bass parts become part of the song.  Everyone hopes that the total [vocals, drums, guitar, bass etc.] will be greater than the sum of the various parts.  When that happens, magic.  But it might have worked too if a different bass line was used.  Or a different guitar line.......

My main point is to suggest that you stop listening to the parts in isolation and listen to the sum total - the performance, what is released on record.

Not exactly @Hattigol, my point is that if it does what is required for the song, it is good.  Can apply to bass, guitar, drums, keys etc
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Point of the thread though was about basslines which effectively become the essence of the song - Walk on the Wild Side being the best example for me. Imagine that song without that bassline. It'd be nothing.

Agree with what you say about everything working in harmony on the great songs but I was kind of asking people to pick stand-out bass parts - which you can't really do without isolating it at least a little in your head.

Meh....semantics. It's all good.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Ian Dury’s  Hit me with your Rhythm Stick’s baseline IS the song
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2021
    on a really boring long Teams meeting earlier and flicking around the forum, managed to accidentally treat everyone to the drum intro
    Great song. 
    At least you weren't caught fapping
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Freebird said:
    Great song. 
    At least you weren't caught fapping
    the worst I've done is forget that my laptop has two cameras and show everyone my socks. Teams normally mutes everything else going on but didn't today. Unfortunately that drum intro is quite dramatic. 

Rocker said:
    Hattigol said:
    Rocker said:

Not exactly @Hattigol, my point is that if it does what is required for the song, it is good.  Can apply to bass, guitar, drums, keys etc
    Obviously there's no definition of what makes a great bassline but generally something that enhances the song but also works as a coherent line in itself. 
    So, as a well known example The Four Tops with Bernadette which is 1960s pop music. Not heavy muso stuff and you could throw some shapes to it in the dance floor. 

and James Jamerson could have approached this with a root fifth type bassline but if you hear the bassline pulled up in the mix then it was almost anything but

so it helps the groove, underlines the melody. Musical intelligence I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Obviously there's no definition of what makes a great bassline but generally something that enhances the song but also works as a coherent line in itself.

So, as a well known example The Four Tops with Bernadette which is 1960s pop music. Not heavy muso stuff and you could throw some shapes to it in the dance floor.

And James Jamerson could have approached this with a root fifth type bassline but if you hear the bassline pulled up in the mix then it was almost anything but

So it helps the groove, underlines the melody. Musical intelligence I guess. 
    Or it can drive the entire song

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Mudvayne - Dig
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11815
    Pretty much anything with Bernard Edwards on it.