pedal board power supplies......

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

There's cheap ones like the Joyo. Powerbrick etc that aren't isolated then theres the posher ones like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power and the T Rex Fuel Tank...I've always got by on the one built into the Boss and Behringer pedal boards which I guess are none isolated daisychain affairs. Only problem I've ever had is at one rehearsal place I would often get a nasty loud hum...guess here the isolated power would've done the trick?

So anyway toying with the idea of a power supply and wondering if the extra dosh on the isolated ones mentioned (or open to other suggestions!) is money worth spending ?? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    There is at least one cheap isolated option - the Harley Benton PowerPlant Junior from Thomann (NOT the full size one - that isn't isolated).
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Depends on the pedals you are using.  Some seem to give noise issues and some don't.  Personally I've had enough issues with non-isolated supplies that I wouldn't use one again by choice.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Cioks DC10 is all you need
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    the Fame DCT-200 is isolated, cheap and rather brilliant VFM

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I'm pondering a power supply. The Hot Stone stuff gets good reviews.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25576
    I took the plunge and went with a GigRig Power Generator, Distributors and Isolators.

On the expensive side, but it's got way more current available than anything else.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    Ive got a Cioks AC10 its brilliant, will take Line 6 modellers M series, high drain 9-12 volts & the original Blackstar & other Valve type pedals.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3692
    The Fame and the HB PowerPlant Jnr are excellent value for money. The Fame is particularly good with many configurable outputs. Downside is its size.
  • Fame one looks good but Christ is it massive
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3692
    The Fame is a great unit and unbelievable value for money but it is HUGE. I mounted mine underneath my Gorm board rather than on top. Had to make sure the risers were the right height and angle though.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    There's a thread I saw on another forum, can't remember which one though, which had mods to fit the fame under a pedaltrain but it envolved cutting the sides of the fame which I didn't fancy doing.

I went for a Voodoo Labs 4x4, there was a comparison table between the voodoo labs abd cioks and the voodoo labs shaved it for me. Happily did the daisy chain thing for years without a problem until I got a L6 M5, took me ages to track down where the noise was coming from and tried a diago isolator etc. Just got sick of messing about and reluctantly spent the money on the voodoo labs and all the noise went away, in fact it's probably quieter than ever. Hopefully it will just save a lot of future faff and not break.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    I love my Hot Stone Deluxe but I'm looking at trading it out for the convenience of an extra 400ma port.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I'm a cioks ac10 user and couldn't recommend them more! Great company who are happy to help over email too! It's all I need and huge room to spare
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I find it highly amusing that people blow loads of cash on amps guitars and pedals but still want 2 power their board with a noisy daisy chain one spot type power supply
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Many can do this with no problems. .. is just certain pedals that seem to be fussy.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726

siraxeman said:
    Many can do this with no problems. .. is just certain pedals that seem to be fussy.
    While I've had two or three "fussy" pedals, I do find that my whole board seems quieter with a decent isolated supply.  It's worth the investment.
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I have a Cioks as well (it's actually branded Eventide) but it's a Cioks and was slightly cheaper when I bought it a few years ago. 

It's absolutely brilliant and one piece of kit that you never think about replacing as it does everything. 
  • The Cioks power supplies are definitely the best, I didn't think I could get excited over something so mundane but when it cleaned up my rig completely it more than proved itself. 
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    I hhave a HB junior which is super cheap and isolated. It struggled with all my ppedals though so I need to use a single 9v adapter for one. I do have a couple of high draw pedals and I was daisy chaining two into one output so the issue is not the units fault, I'm probably asking too much from it. I plan to get a couple more pedals so I'll likely just mount another HB junior as its small cheap and excellent quality.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    I've got a Cioks Adam Link, which is brilliant if you like little PSUs. I've also had a Carl Martin Pro Power which was great too, as far as isolated PSUs go.