pedal board power supplies......

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333

As it turns out, I am going to return the Pussy Power and upgrade to the Ciokolate, I just can't give all the digital pedals its own socket, without daisy chaining the rest of the OD/fuzz like crazy, which defeats the whole point of having an isolated power supply in the first place.  Having a bigger PSU will be more future proofing and dust won't be an issue in the new board anyway.  It'll be cheaper than running 2 power supply and tidier.

p.s. I had a chat with Poul Cioks himself, told him my pedals lists and that's what he has recommended too.  He couldn't believe what I was doing with the flex and splitter lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    I have a decibell eleven hot stone deluxe on my guitar board and a cioks schizophrenic on my bass board and they were 100% worth it. Along side some good quality cables it has made my boards virtually noise free!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Run 2 DC10s that Ciokolate is a huge piece of kit and sometimes it's nice to run a small board with 3-4 pedals
    edited July 2014
    capo4th said:
    Run 2 DC10s that Ciokolate is a huge piece of kit and sometimes it's nice to run a small board with 3-4 pedals
    True, will sleep on it and have a think, it does work out more expensive though.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    mrn1989 said:
    1SPOT Rules! It will power 1700ma and is deadly silent. Previously had the Dunlop Brick which is not isolated so was noisy
    1Spot is not isolated either.  Depending on the pedals you are using, you can get away with a non-isolated supply.

It is better than the DC brick though for a lot less money.  I found the 18V outputs on my long gone DC Brick were unusable because of noise.  I had to get 18V from it using the Diago voltage doublers.

I used BBE Supa-Charger for years which is very good, but doesn't have the high current outputs to run Strymons.  I'm now using a Hot Stone Deluxe which I'm really pleased with.

I do have 10 pedals on my board so have Daisy chained a couple of drives and a compressor together on one output so I can run them all off the one supply.  It works fine that way.  The main problems with non-isolated supplies seem to come with specific pedals, or when you try to run the big Strymon type pedals off them along with all your drives etc.

• mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    I know its not isolated but it works silently for me whereas the DC Brick didn't. I run the fx loop and in front pedals off the same board in the same daisy chain and have no hum issues?
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • vaticancameosvaticancameos Frets: 186
    edited July 2014
    I think I'd always go for a PP2+, I used to have one and will probably get one now I'm looking for a power supply again.

I always used to daisy chain drive pedals and my tuner from one output and that introduced no noise. Purely because the other pedals I used to power off of it were hungry as hell.

This time I'll be running - 

V847 Wah
    TU2
    Wampler Velvet
    Boss SD1
    Small Stone
    Diamond Vibrato
    DD3
    Line 6 DL4 x 2

so I kinda have to chain some to use a PP2+!

EDIT - technically I think I'd probably chain the SD1 out of the TU2 using a spare PP2+ cable actually!
    This is what i'll doing. 

I think I'd always go for a PP2+, I used to have one and will probably get one now I'm looking for a power supply again.

I always used to daisy chain drive pedals and my tuner from one output and that introduced no noise. Purely because the other pedals I used to power off of it were hungry as hell.

This time I'll be running - 

V847 Wah
    TU2
    Wampler Velvet
    Boss SD1
    Small Stone
    Diamond Vibrato
    DD3
    Line 6 DL4 x 2

so I kinda have to chain some to use a PP2+!

EDIT - technically I think I'd probably chain the SD1 out of the TU2 using a spare PP2+ cable actually!
    If you are buying a new one now I'd go for the Hot Stone Deluxe over the PP2+.  The 400mA outputs give you a lot more flexibility if you decide to buy a high draw digital pedal in the future.  It's not just Strymons.  There is cheaper stuff like the Line 6 M5.  The Zoom MS70 CDR is stated with a really high draw as well, although I think it's been measured at less than the stated draw.
  • vaticancameosvaticancameos Frets: 186
    edited July 2014
    @crunchman the 2 DL4's would need to go into output 9/10 right? Would I theoretically be able to power a DD20 off of one of the 400mA outputs?

EDIT: or rather, SW1 and SW2?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    @crunchman the 2 DL4's would need to go into output 9/10 right? Would I theoretically be able to power a DD20 off of one of the 400mA outputs?

Were you aware that there are two ways of safely powering a DL4?

The supplied line6 psu is 9Vac. But the units will also run safely off of 12Vdc (centre positive).

I believe the current draw is around 200mA at 12V dc but considerably higher at 9V ac (if I remember correctly, the Line6 psu states 1200mA?).
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Out of idle interest I had a quick glance at Richard Thompson's board on Wednesday night, before he came on.

He uses a PP2....
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7420
    edited August 2014

I WISH I could get my head round all this. I have a huge pedal board, and I am exactly one of the previously mentioned idiots who powers off a one-Spot, and three other power supplies Not out of cheapness you understand, I just cant get my head round how to do it better. I'd love to be able to just plug one plug in and have a proper power bank, but have no idea how to do it with my fuzzy pedal board.

If somebody fancies a project, please let me know!!

Pedals:

Boss Tuner

MXR Micro Amp

Crowther Hotcake

Mr Black Eterna

Boss PS-3

Line 6 Echo Park

EHX Freeze

Boss DD-20

Digitech Synth Wah

EHX Big Muff

Boss OC-2

Ibanez LF7

Boss RV 5

Empress SuperDelay

Digitech Whammy

TC Electronics Ditto

Boss NS2

Nobel Compressor.

how can I power all this, and what would it cost me?

There are 2 x 200mA outputs on the Hot Stone Deluxe as well as the 400mA ones.  According to Stinkfoot the DD20 draws 172mA so you should be ok with using one of those for a DD20.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/867

GavHaus said:

I WISH I could get my head round all this. I have a huge pedal board, and I am exactly one of the previously mentioned idiots who powers off a one-Spot, and three other power supplies Not out of cheapness you understand, I just cant get my head round how to do it better. I'd love to be able to just plug one plug in and have a proper power bank, but have no idea how to do it with my fuzzy pedal board.

Pedals:

Boss Tuner

MXR Micro Amp

Crowther Hotcake

Mr Black Eterna

Boss PS-3

Line 6 Echo Park

EHX Freeze

Boss DD-20

Digitech Synth Wah

EHX Big Muff

Boss OC-2

Ibanez LF7

Boss RV 5

Empress SuperDelay

Digitech Whammy

TC Electronics Ditto

Boss NS2

Nobel Compressor.

If you could list the voltage AC/DC and the mA for each pedal then it can be easily worked out, just need to do a little chart like I have so you can see all the load and voltage in front of you.
    GavHaus said:

Pedals:

Boss Tuner

MXR Micro Amp

Crowther Hotcake

Mr Black Eterna

Boss PS-3

Line 6 Echo Park

EHX Freeze

Boss DD-20

Digitech Synth Wah

EHX Big Muff

Boss OC-2

Ibanez LF7

Boss RV 5

Empress SuperDelay

Digitech Whammy

TC Electronics Ditto

Boss NS2

Nobel Compressor.

If you could list the voltage AC/DC and the mA for each pedal then it can be easily worked out, just need to do a little chart like I have so you can see all the load and voltage in front of you.

ON IT!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    .....do you carry that board to gigs? :-O
    siraxeman said:
    .....do you carry that board to gigs? :-O

Yep, I'm HENCH. Hench / herniated.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    RaymondLin;307352" said:
    As it turns out, I am going to return the Pussy Power and upgrade to the Ciokolate, I just can't give all the digital pedals its own socket, without daisy chaining the rest of the OD/fuzz like crazy, which defeats the whole point of having an isolated power supply in the first place.  Having a bigger PSU will be more future proofing and dust won't be an issue in the new board anyway.  It'll be cheaper than running 2 power supply and tidier. p.s. I had a chat with Poul Cioks himself, told him my pedals lists and that's what he has recommended too.  He couldn't believe what I was doing with the flex and splitter lol
    If you fancy selling the cioks on let me know. May work out well for my board I'm working on, if I can work out a way of hiding the pink paint job lol ;)
    edited August 2014
    nickb_boy said:
    RaymondLin;307352" said:
    As it turns out, I am going to return the Pussy Power and upgrade to the Ciokolate, I just can't give all the digital pedals its own socket, without daisy chaining the rest of the OD/fuzz like crazy, which defeats the whole point of having an isolated power supply in the first place.  Having a bigger PSU will be more future proofing and dust won't be an issue in the new board anyway.  It'll be cheaper than running 2 power supply and tidier. p.s. I had a chat with Poul Cioks himself, told him my pedals lists and that's what he has recommended too.  He couldn't believe what I was doing with the flex and splitter lol
    If you fancy selling the cioks on let me know. May work out well for my board I'm working on, if I can work out a way of hiding the pink paint job lol ;)

Will do, I am going to test it to see if get any noise once the last coupel of pedals arrives, so keeping it for the time being.  I've tried it with the Tuner with Warped Vinyl together and it is silent, even tried it with the Timeline too in the same socket and it is silent.  The only thing that generate any noise is the compressor, although only when it is turned up but that is expected.

I am hoping it to be okay, even if I am using three 3-way flex cables so it will be a challenge to keep it tidy that's for sure.