pedal board power supplies......

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    nickb_boy said:
    RaymondLin;307352" said:
    As it turns out, I am going to return the Pussy Power and upgrade to the Ciokolate, I just can't give all the digital pedals its own socket, without daisy chaining the rest of the OD/fuzz like crazy, which defeats the whole point of having an isolated power supply in the first place.  Having a bigger PSU will be more future proofing and dust won't be an issue in the new board anyway.  It'll be cheaper than running 2 power supply and tidier. p.s. I had a chat with Poul Cioks himself, told him my pedals lists and that's what he has recommended too.  He couldn't believe what I was doing with the flex and splitter lol
    If you fancy selling the cioks on let me know. May work out well for my board I'm working on, if I can work out a way of hiding the pink paint job lol ;)

Will do, I am going to test it to see if get any noise once the last coupel of pedals arrives, so keeping it for the time being.  I've tried it with the Tuner with Warped Vinyl together and it is silent, even tried it with the Timeline too in the same socket and it is silent.  The only thing that generate any noise is the compressor, although only when it is turned up but that is expected.

I am hoping it to be okay, even if I am using three 3-way flex cables so it will be a challenge to keep it tidy that's for sure.

You don't need everything isolated. 

You just need anything that generates noise (like many digital pedals) on a separate supply from anything sensitive to noise (like a lot of compressors and ODs)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    nickb_boy said:
    RaymondLin;307352" said:
    As it turns out, I am going to return the Pussy Power and upgrade to the Ciokolate, I just can't give all the digital pedals its own socket, without daisy chaining the rest of the OD/fuzz like crazy, which defeats the whole point of having an isolated power supply in the first place.  Having a bigger PSU will be more future proofing and dust won't be an issue in the new board anyway.  It'll be cheaper than running 2 power supply and tidier. p.s. I had a chat with Poul Cioks himself, told him my pedals lists and that's what he has recommended too.  He couldn't believe what I was doing with the flex and splitter lol
    If you fancy selling the cioks on let me know. May work out well for my board I'm working on, if I can work out a way of hiding the pink paint job lol ;)

Will do, I am going to test it to see if get any noise once the last coupel of pedals arrives, so keeping it for the time being.  I've tried it with the Tuner with Warped Vinyl together and it is silent, even tried it with the Timeline too in the same socket and it is silent.  The only thing that generate any noise is the compressor, although only when it is turned up but that is expected.

I am hoping it to be okay, even if I am using three 3-way flex cables so it will be a challenge to keep it tidy that's for sure.

You just need anything that generates noise (like many digital pedals) on a separate supply from anything sensitive to noise (like a lot of compressors and ODs)

My problem is that it is difficult, impossible to give all the digital pedals it's own socket.  The Strymons gets its own socket mostly due to the 300mA demand.  Almost everything else has to share but most are silent even chained together which is good.  But i find that the compressor generates some noise no matter whether it is shared or not anyway.

I do have a noise gate but I prefer not to use that unless I can get away with it, that just masks the problem.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader

My problem is that it is difficult, impossible to give all the digital pedals it's own socket.  The Strymons gets its own socket mostly due to the 300mA demand.  Almost everything else has to share but most are silent even chained together which is good.  But i find that the compressor generates some noise no matter whether it is shared or not anyway.

I do have a noise gate but I prefer not to use that unless I can get away with it, that just masks the problem.

You don't usually need to isolate the digital pedals from each other, just from analogue pedals.

You don't usually need to isolate the digital pedals from each other, just from analogue pedals.

That's good to know, I'll give that a go and report back !

It means I can put the looper and Tuner with the 2 strymons.

GavHaus said:

The DC10 won't work, the Whammy needs 800mA and I think it is AC powered too so....the Ciokolate should work.

This will run it but I've not looked into what is digital and analogue so there may be noise but there are still spare sockets to rearrange things.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7420
    The empress is AC too I believe. Thanks so much!
    Then move the empress to socket 15 :)
    Edit, move the stuff on socket 5 too, I forgot that's 18v. So move them to socket 10 as that's now free.

The DC10 doesn't do AC and won't have enough current draw to power 2A...these pedals needs the big boys !

If you put both AC pedals on its own Powersupply, then i think you can run the rest on a single DC10 which is £180.

dont get me wrong, I kinda suspected i'd be looking at several hundred.... but wow.

There may be other options, like the Generator, but I don't know them in enough detail so say yes or no.  I know the Ciokoloate should fit your needs.

Check out the Mondo as well and as I mentioned, the Generator. 

sucks that its basically half price in the US, and that essentially Hotrox is the only place to buy it here.

The Ciokolate?  You can get it from Thomann's
    yeah, its cheaper at hotrox though i think
    GavHaus said:

Email Thomann, they can price match, and you get 3 year warranty.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2014
    GavHaus said:

Email Thomann, they can price match, and you get 3 year warranty.
    The Hot Rox site states 5 years http://www.hotroxuk.com/cioks-ciokolate-power-supply.html

Which is the manufacturers own warranty.

I'd rather support a UK store personnally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I didn't knwo that, then fair enough ! :)