Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finished Shots - Trini Lopez 335 ish Tribute

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    edited December 2021
    OK - I think we are on the final furlong 

With grandparenting duties done for a few weeks I have a fairly uninterrupted run to finish this off.

Offline, @meltedbuzzbox and I have been doing some work on the headstock arrangement and he has come up with a shape that I think works beautifully.  It gives a respectful nod to the original but is its very own.  This is a mockup, but later today I will be cutting and gluing on the actual ebony plate.

At the same time, I've been experimenting with some ebony offcuts from the top wood to see how well a 'no finish, just sanding & buffing' approach (think violin fretboard) works.  The trials went well and so I did a quick and nasty to see how it works on the whole top.  I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but...I reckon it works

If only there was a MegaWow! button.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    Fabulous!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • its looking amazing Andy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited December 2021
    its looking amazing Andy
    That's the one that matters the most  

That said, many thanks for the kind words, folks.  Always much appreciated
    edited December 2021
    And so to the headstock plate. 

Before gluing, a vital thing not to be missed - cutting the access to the trussrod:

The cunning plan is to use the cut out above as the cover, fitted flush with magnets:

There will be a shallow scoop at the apex as a finger-nail access (this will be a snug fit!)

And no, you can't have too many clamps!

The plate is presently oversize at the edges and will be sanded flush with the headstock once the glue has fully cured.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There have been a lot of 'like hens' teeth' items in this build.  

One being a Hiscox Pro II GS (semi acoustic ES335 etc) case!!  Feast your eyes - possibly the only one in the UK as far as I could see.  ;)  

And, against all the odds, it fits!!!!

Of course, there's the vibrato whammy arm to accommodate...but surely that's nothing that a quick few seconds with a router can't fix  :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Next is the tuner holes.

This is absolutely a 'measure 15 times, drill once' ;)

There is an advantage with the Steinbergers that the strings go directly through the centre of each tuner:

A 2mm bradpoint to drill the pilot hole - the wedge is to get the headstock at 90 degrees for each drill hole and let me drill a recess in the back to avoid tearout at the main drill hole exit:

And then the BB (bigger b******)   :

And fitted - his/her trunk's got studs!  :

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Time for a gratuitous mock-up ;)

When sanded and buffed, the fretboard and headstock plate will polish up to the same sort of satin as the ebony on the body. 

The remaining visible neck laminates will darken with the application of the Tru-oil but will buff up to a similar sheen. And before anyone asks...no, they don't do the Steinbergers in nickel ;)

Only a couple of jobs left on the basic build and then I can move onto the final sanding and finishing  :)

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Superb!!!
    Looks great!

the only question that remains (for now) is where will you put your Swifts on the headstock?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Superb!!!
    Looks great!

the only question that remains (for now) is where will you put your Swifts on the headstock?

I may have a cunning plan...I'll pm you when I can find an example ;)

What sorcery are those tuners?!
    edited December 2021
    Lebarque said:
    What sorcery are those tuners?!
    They are Steinberger's alternative to the original banjo tuners that were fitted to the Firebirds, etc..  For a while, they fitted them as standard to the Epiphone version of the Firebird...where the whole guitar wasn't much more expensive than a set of the tuners nowadays (oh, those were the days when bargains were bargains )

I retro fitted them to my band mate's genuine '64 fake Firebird when the original (genuine) banjos eventually fell to pieces.  Without a shadow of a doubt, they are the best tuners I've EVER used.  My son-in-law has the Epiphone Firebird which he bought when they were still fitting them and he agrees.

Here's my band mate's not-a-Gibson with them fitted:

The tuning knobs themselves are at the back:

The wing nut at the top is actually the clamp and turning the back knobs raises and lowers the shaft. 

So to string up, you turn the knob to raise the shaft as far as it will go, at which point, the string hole is exposed in its centre.

You then thread the string through, pull it taut and clamp it with the wing nut

Turning the back knob the other way retracts the shaft, pulling the string in with it (as you can see in the bottom shot) and that tautens the string up to pitch

And they hold pitch excellently and fine tune super smooth and controllably 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • they are great tuners. It was the one thing I liked about my 2015 Gibson Firebird (wide fretboard, brass nut thingy). 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    I would have those Steinberger tuners on every guitar I own, if I could afford it
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    That mock-up look spot on mate, very nice work :+1: 
  • skippy76 said:
    That mock-up look spot on mate, very nice work :+1: 
    Thanks!

they are great tuners. It was the one thing I liked about my 2015 Gibson Firebird (wide fretboard, brass nut thingy). 
    paulnb57 said:
    I would have those Steinberger tuners on every guitar I own, if I could afford it
    Yup - we should form a Steinberger fan club ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow.

One of your best yet Andy. Love it. 
  • Wow.

One of your best yet Andy. Love it. 
    Thanks, @UnclePsychosis. ; I'm pleased how it's turning out  :)

edited December 2021
    We're still at the 'reveal coat' part of the finishing process, but this gives a much better idea of the likely finished colour/finish at the back.  This is just the standard @WezV Tru-oil slurry and buff method, presently down to 240 grit - the subsequent finish coats will be down to around 400/800 and will get that wonderful organic but silky satin finish that the method excels at :

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom