Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finished Shots - Trini Lopez 335 ish Tribute

What's Hot

Comments

• I'll do some more checking in the morning, but the whammy arm doesn't seem to get in the way of the right hand for a quick mid bar volume tweak :)

And another fingers crossed moment has also turned out OK - that is, how to get the guitar into the ES case without having to take the whammy bar off every time :   

It flippin' well fits!!!   :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    I've been quietly watching the progress of this... bloody hell, thats nice.

I can't wait to see it completed... I'll have to invite myself over to @meltedbuzzbox place on some pretence when its finished. :-)
    You know you are always welcome ;

Andyjr1515 said: impmann said: I've been quietly watching the progress of this... bloody hell, thats nice.

I can't wait to see it completed... I'll have to invite myself over to @meltedbuzzbox place on some pretence when its finished. :-) Hmmm...and a video of a Trini Lopez-esque and an Alembicesque playing together.  Now that would be something you don't often see!  ;) 

There is a strong likelyhood they will be recorded together...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a strong likelyhood they will be recorded together...
    That's what I like to hear :)

• Spent some time working out how to secure the pickups and achieve decent height adjustment.  I'm direct fixing them to the pocket bases with firm sponge underneath - a bit like bass guitar pickups tend to be done.

For the positioning of the bridge, I have strung it up with a 'proper' set of electric strings and packed up the top of the roller bridge to get it to the correct action height.  That way, I am able to position the optimum position and angle of the bridge, given the adjustment range of the saddles, giving plenty of further intonation adjustment for alternative string gauges or tunings.

With a 6mm bradpoint through the two bridge adjuster holes, I have then marked the centre point for the bushes drill holes (11mm...that's meant a 24hr hour Amazon jobee for an 11mm bradpoint which should arrive later today)

And while I'm waiting for the bradpoint for the bridge bushes, on to one of the other last scary bits - drilling holes in the top for the controls!

It will be fiddly enough as it is...but thank goodness for that hatch at the back!  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dreadful light today so no good doing the 'finished pics' but, cosmetically, it's done.

Still got all the set up stuff to do and I need a tweak (or the OK to do it myself) from Marc at Mojo to get the phasing right for the 'both' pickups (they are braided earth, single conductor and so not as simple as swopping the wires round...it needs one of the magnets flipping).  Individually, by the way, the pickups sound GREAT!!!  

So we'll have to wait for a 'not having to have all the lights on in the middle of the day' break in the cloud before the arty farty shots but here's a couple of poor light shots to be going on with :)

0reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    Wowzers!
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    It really looks amazing Andy.  It wouldn't have been my thought for a guitar, when you were first discussing it, I wondered how it would come out, but I have to say, it really is nice. The way you have done the finish and the general attention to detail on everything is astounding.   Another one of your incredible builds.
  • Thanks, folks :)

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Absolutely stunning. Incredible work thanks for sharing
  • Thanks, @roberty ; :)
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1330
    Incredible result, definitely unique, love it
  • There's still stuff to do, but visually this is pretty much there so I'll do the 'finished shots'

Photographing this, with or without total cloud cover, is...er...challenging.  Anyway, here's a few arty ones:

And a few outdoor shots:

:)

0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s the small details, just utterly incredible. A beautiful build. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27499
    Just stunning Andy. 

As always!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Andy, Wow!
    You see what mainstream makers produce with all their tech and machinery, then you make this in a cellar with limited tools, bloody awesome!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• You do realise I'm left handed Andy?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6810
    Wow, thats an amazing build - well done!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • You do realise I'm left handed Andy?
    Yes...but I reckoned that if Hendrix could do it, it would be a doddle for someone of your calibre :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the kind words, folks :)
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Incredible build, your best I think I've seen on here Andy!