Dishwasher loading...

What's Hot
This is one of those things that quietly eats away at me, for fear of causing a heated debate in the house over such a trivial thing.

We can fit 5 of our mugs in each row of our top shelf. But, my wife, just places them wherever get hand happens to go and do you only get 4 or sometimes 3 in a row. Unbelievable.

Similar with plates. We have large square dinner plates. They only really fit in a certain way and you have to be quite specific about which rack to put them in otherwise you run out of space. She gets it, and does it most of the time. But sometimes she just drops the plates in at whatever angle and then stops because there's no more room.

Further, she will sometimes put mugs and glasses in the same row. Not a huge sin, but makes it slightly more hassle when unloading and you have to be careful that the handles don't smash the glasses.

How about putting large and hardly dirty things in such that there isn't space for really dirty stuff? Like a glass bowl used only for salad, but it takes up the space of 4 dinner plates called with lasagne. So those get left on the side to be loaded the next day when there's space. Incredible.

Wooden spoons. They don't belong in a dishwasher.

It's the little things in life.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    You sound like my wife
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1330
    Your wife sounds like my wife
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    My wife will often spend 10 minutes trying to squeeze a last mug in by rearranging everything. To be fair she generally succeeds but often at the expense of the dirty bowl we find on the top when the machine is half way through the cycle. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'm not very fussy about it but my son places things in very randomly, just to get the job done as quickly as possible, often meaning that items couldn't possibly wash properly. Rearranging dirty plates and cups,etc, that have been in there for hours is no fun. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    This is one of those things that quietly eats away at me, for fear of causing a heated debate in the house over such a trivial thing.

We can fit 5 of our mugs in each row of our top shelf. But, my wife, just places them wherever get hand happens to go and do you only get 4 or sometimes 3 in a row. Unbelievable.

Similar with plates. We have large square dinner plates. They only really fit in a certain way and you have to be quite specific about which rack to put them in otherwise you run out of space. She gets it, and does it most of the time. But sometimes she just drops the plates in at whatever angle and then stops because there's no more room.

Further, she will sometimes put mugs and glasses in the same row. Not a huge sin, but makes it slightly more hassle when unloading and you have to be careful that the handles don't smash the glasses.

How about putting large and hardly dirty things in such that there isn't space for really dirty stuff? Like a glass bowl used only for salad, but it takes up the space of 4 dinner plates called with lasagne. So those get left on the side to be loaded the next day when there's space. Incredible.

I was seriously wondering whether this was me posting this after I’d had a few drinks. 

Until I got to the bit about wooden spoons. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I'm not very fussy about it but my son places things in very randomly. 
    My wife does that. Then she spends twice as long washing the stuff by hand because it’s not been cleaned properly. I used to point it out but if she wants to do it her way, then meh. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    When I met my wife she had a dishwasher and it amazed me the hassle you had to go to just to avoid the fairly easy task of washing up. You got to buy the tablets and salts. Then you have to scrape the shit of the plates and stack it in there. Then you can't start it  because there's not enough dirty stuff yet so you need to wait until the food has really baked on. In the meantime you can't have a glass of anything because the 10 you own are all in the dishwasher. Just seems a pointless waste of time and money. Luckily we moved and the new kitchen didn't have space for one. 

Washing machines I understand, we washed clothes by hand growing up and it's hard work. Dishwashers though for your average small family are pointless to me. It's actually quicker and more hygienic to wash up by hand. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    Missus munckee doesn't scrape or rinse the plates - just by way of explanation in case she has an accident...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'm quite fussy about eating off clean plates and using cutlery that isn't encrusted with last week's food so I've never owned a dishwasher.
    And as Danny says you might as well do the washing up by hand instead of all the faff involved with dishwashers.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I can't see why anybody would not want a dishwasher and prefer to handwash in this day and age
    it's archaic to have a load of crockery/cutlery sitting in a drainer and untidy
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Danny1969 said:
    When I met my wife she had a dishwasher and it amazed me the hassle you had to go to just to avoid the fairly easy task of washing up. You got to buy the tablets and salts. Then you have to scrape the shit of the plates and stack it in there. Then you can't start it  because there's not enough dirty stuff yet so you need to wait until the food has really baked on. In the meantime you can't have a glass of anything because the 10 you own are all in the dishwasher. Just seems a pointless waste of time and money. Luckily we moved and the new kitchen didn't have space for one. 

Washing machines I understand, we washed clothes by hand growing up and it's hard work. Dishwashers though for your average small family are pointless to me. It's actually quicker and more hygienic to wash up by hand. 
    Amen. I don't mind the division of labour and doing all of the washing up by hand. But Ms Goldtop insists on buying things that can't go in the dishwasher, so I have to do both anyway. Grrr...

Added WTF-were-they-thinking: why does it only tell you to add salt AFTER you've tried to start your now-loaded machine? FFS... perhaps tell me when you finished the previous wash and the machine was empty with easy access? Too much to ask... :anguished: 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Mrs. L is also an inappropriate loader. Mugs go on the left, glasses on the right. This is the way of things because the drop down wine glass holder things are also on the left. This means that the mugs will fit under them and regular hiball glasses will not. 

When i come to put it on at night I still have to rearrange things. And she puts the plates on the wrong side. 

My mother in law on the other hand will hand wash everything really well and then put it in the dishwasher. Always amazes me. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Whenever my son is here, we play 'Dishwasher Challenge'. The object is to see how long we can last before caving in and putting the machine on. It's like Jenga in reverse, or a 3-D jigsaw puzzle. The best time so far has been something like 3 days and so many hours.

Drives the wife crazy, which is the sole reason for doing it.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    It's the way you stroke my hair while I am sleepin'
    It's the way you tell me things I don't know
    It's the way you remember I came home late for dinner
    Eleven months and fourteen days ago
    It's the little things the little bitty things
    Like the way that you remind me I've been growin soft
    It's the little things the itty bitty things
    It's the little things
    That piss me off
    It's the note that you leave on the breakfast table
    With a list of things to help me plan my day
    It's the way you say we could have If you'd done the things you should have
    It's the little things Darlin that make me feel this way
    It's the little things the little bitty things
    Like the way that you remind me I've been growin' soft
    It's the little things the itty bitty things
    It's the little things
    That piss me off

Robert Earl Keen

He's right.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    LuttiS said:
    Mrs. L is also an inappropriate loader. Mugs go on the left, glasses on the right. This is the way of things because the drop down wine glass holder things are also on the left. This means that the mugs will fit under them and regular hiball glasses will not. 

When i come to put it on at night I still have to rearrange things. And she puts the plates on the wrong side. 

My mother in law on the other hand will hand wash everything really well and then put it in the dishwasher. Always amazes me. 
    Aargh, you've reminded me that she used to lay wine glasses down because they were too tall to stand up. Nothing like a glass full of salty, cloudy water in the morning which then spills all over the bottom rack.

Danny1969 said:

I think I get your point. When our kids were younger it was definitely more convenient to have the dishwasher. Now it may not be. Though we have enough plates and cups and glasses that we can get through a day without having to wash anything, so it's fine to sit in the dishwasher.

My Dutch mate wants to swap all his kitchen cupboard for dishwashers. He says that unloading a dishwasher is a waste of time, only to have to fetch stuff out of cupboards when you need it. Amazing!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896

It's the little things in life.
    Clearly grounds for divorce due to unreasonable behaviour

I have a similar problem
    Ironically, my 17 year old daughter, presumably bored due to lockdown, has decided on her own masterplan for optimal loading, and now tells me off for doing it wrong. I wonder where she gets that from...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    We rinse and wipe the muck off the stuff before putting it in
    but that's mainly to get gluten off stuff, I don't want it leaving traces all over everything in the dishwasher, since it doesn't rinse stuff 10 times
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    All you need for storing and cleaning kitchen/eating stuff is two dishwashers, one for the stuff that needs washing and one for the stuff that's been washed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom