Dishwasher loading...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    I feel your pain. See also, putting boxes and other bits in the bin without folding them flat so it fills up extra quick, then moaning that the bins are overflowing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22984

I  haven't got a dishwasher, there's no room for one.

We did have one at home about 40 years ago and it was rubbish, you had to practically wash - never mind rinse - everything before putting it in or it would come out with bits stuck all over it.

In recent years I've stayed at a few holiday homes with dishwashers - I have to say they work much better nowadays!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    If ever there was an example of a First World problem, this has to be it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11937
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    When I met my wife she had a dishwasher and it amazed me the hassle you had to go to just to avoid the fairly easy task of washing up. You got to buy the tablets and salts. Then you have to scrape the shit of the plates and stack it in there. Then you can't start it  because there's not enough dirty stuff yet so you need to wait until the food has really baked on. In the meantime you can't have a glass of anything because the 10 you own are all in the dishwasher. Just seems a pointless waste of time and money. Luckily we moved and the new kitchen didn't have space for one. 

Washing machines I understand, we washed clothes by hand growing up and it's hard work. Dishwashers though for your average small family are pointless to me. It's actually quicker and more hygienic to wash up by hand. 
    A friend told me that he and his wife had decided to have an environmental/economical purge on wasteful housework. Their next water bill confirmed they'd used way more water than their dishwasher.
    I read that it's a known fact that dishwashers are massively more efficient for heat and water usage

Well I could be wrong but here's why  I trust my engineers instinct. 
    A dishwasher has to pump water and heat water and fire water at pressure against the dishes to remove the food then it has to pump out the dirty water, pump in more clean water for the rinse cycle and then it has to pump out that water. 

I know large currents are switched because I've repaired loads of dishwasher PCB's by changing the relays which switch the motors. Basically anything that uses electricity for heat or forced motion uses a lot of it ... be it an electric fire, a kettle, a washing machine or a dishwasher. 

When you run a bowl of water there's no pumping involved, the water has already been heated by gas which is quite economical. To remove stubborn food we use our own brute force and then when we want to pump it it's done by gravity, no electric involved. 

Lets say you have a 1.3KW dishwasher, doing the maths off the top of my head doing one load of dishes would cost you around 20p .... plus the cost of the tablets and factor in the cost of the machine it's self spread across 5 or 6  years assuming it doesn't need repairing or a service in that period

The official stats contradict your instinct I am afraid 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10425
    Ok imagine this. 

We have some washing up to do 

We use 25 litres of water to wash up in the sink  ...... the dishwasher uses no water at all. 

The dishwasher has saved us 2.5 pence .... the average cost of UK tap water being  0.1 pence a litre 

But do we honestly think the dishwasher has completed it's cycle on 2.5 pence worth of electricity ?

A KW of electric is 14p ! plus the tablets plus the cost of the dishwasher 

I know I'm missing something I just don't know what it is :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11937
    Danny1969 said:
    Ok imagine this. 

We use 25 litres of water to wash up in the sink  ...... the dishwasher uses no water at all. 

The dishwasher has saved us 2.5 pence .... the average cost of UK tap water being  0.1 pence a litre 

But do we honestly think the dishwasher has completed it's cycle on 2.5 pence worth of electricity ?

do you wash up with cold water?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10425
    Danny1969 said:
    Ok imagine this. 

do you wash up with cold water?
    No the waters heated by a combi boiler which in the UK is probably about the cheapest way to heat water ... that's why we use it for baths and heating the house. 
    Heating water with electricity is expensive 

What I'm saying is even if the dishwasher uses less water any saving is cancelled out by the cost of heating the water, pumping the water and the cost of the dishwasher. 

So I don't believe the stats as they don't make sense 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5172
    Apparently I haven’t got the necessary security pass or required qualifications to even look at our dishwasher.... :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    We don’t pre rinse stuff and it always comes out clean. 

We put all our glasses in, except crystal ones which only get used once or twice a year anyway, and they come out cleaner than I can get them by hand washing, presumably because of the rinse aid and hot air drying. 

We had a mid range Bosch at our last house which worked really well and had a good design. We’ve inherited a newish cheap Beko machine at our new place and it’s nowhere near as good..the racks are a bit flimsy and it’s just badly designed. Unless you stack any bowls in exactly the right place then they come out dirty, even though the rest of the load is spotless. So, errr, don’t buy cheap I guess. When we replace it we’ll get one with a cutlery shelf rather than a basket, cos those baskets take up loads of room.