Dishwasher loading...

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    My wife's dishwasher crime is wishful thinking, as if the device is works by magic on anything put inside it

Our dishwasher has a rotating sprayer under the bottom drawer, and another under the top drawer
    Then there is a central  static nozzle above the cutlery tray, so you need to think about the layout of cutlery to ensure it gets clean.

Her crime is to put large silicone disks on top of the cups and glasses in the upper drawer (removing any chance of water being sprayed up reaching the cutlery drawer from below), and then to put things like chef's knives, utensils and dog food can lids lying flat in the cutlery drawer. There is clearly a near-zero chance of any water from any nozzle getting to the underside of these items

I've tried counselling, but we'll probably have to sell the kids and split the dog
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Don’t get me started! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    When I met my wife she had a dishwasher and it amazed me the hassle you had to go to just to avoid the fairly easy task of washing up. You got to buy the tablets and salts. Then you have to scrape the shit of the plates and stack it in there. Then you can't start it  because there's not enough dirty stuff yet so you need to wait until the food has really baked on. In the meantime you can't have a glass of anything because the 10 you own are all in the dishwasher. Just seems a pointless waste of time and money. Luckily we moved and the new kitchen didn't have space for one. 

Washing machines I understand, we washed clothes by hand growing up and it's hard work. Dishwashers though for your average small family are pointless to me. It's actually quicker and more hygienic to wash up by hand. 
    A friend told me that he and his wife had decided to have an environmental/economical purge on wasteful housework. Their next water bill confirmed they'd used way more water than their dishwasher.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Dominic said:
    I can't see why anybody would not want a dishwasher and prefer to handwash in this day and age
    it's archaic to have a load of crockery/cutlery sitting in a drainer and untidy

Coz I prefer to eat off properly clean plates and cutlery.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I'm single, so none of this angst gets played out in my house.  I have noticed with friends and relatives that there are definitely two camps when it comes to dishwasher loading.  There is the 'lets do this logically' camp, which I am a member of, and so are many of you contributing to this thread.  I dare say this camp could also be called 'lets get slightly obsessive about this'.
    On the other hand there is the 'Just chuck stuff in and don't worry about it, cos lets face it theres more important stuff to worry about' camp.  Obviously this camp could also be called the 'The f*****g dishwasher hasn't washed the stuff properly....again!' camp.

BTW was the genesis of this thread anything to do with the fact that Radcliffe and Maconie were on the same subject all weekend on R6M?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    It's a an art and pet hate of mine, especially when it blocks the rotor. In addition to this, opening the dishwasher whilst it's on!!!
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    drofluf said:
    My wife will often spend 10 minutes trying to squeeze a last mug in by rearranging everything. To be fair she generally succeeds but often at the expense of the dirty bowl we find on the top when the machine is half way through the cycle. 
    So why are you looking for dirty bowls half way through the cycle??
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Sassafras said:
    Dominic said:
    I can't see why anybody would not want a dishwasher and prefer to handwash in this day and age

Miele dishwasher does a better job than I could.......pristine.....almost surgical clave quality
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    Basically, nobody loads the dishwasher properly except yourself.  Everyone else is wrong, and all the dishes need to be rearranged if anyone else has loaded it.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Never had one until aged 49,and even that was under duress. Obviously now have the zeal of a convert. Finding out that rinsing things before putting them in is actively discouraged was a blissful day.

It's welcome to my wooden spoons but that thug's not having my wine glasses though.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    Dominic said:

I'd suggest you probably haven't used a decent dishwasher in the last 20 years.

Assuming you load them properly stuff comes out spotless except perhaps the odd burnt on pan.

I think if you generate minimal washing up they might seem like a waste of time, but for a family of 5 ours is in constant use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    edited March 2021
    yocky said:
    Never had one until aged 49,and even that was under duress. Obviously now have the zeal of a convert. Finding out that rinsing things before putting them in is actively discouraged was a blissful day.

It's welcome to my wooden spoons but that thug's not having my wine glasses though.

That's a vicious lie to get you to use more dishwasher tablets.  Watch the fairy advert with the punk baby who mocks you for rinsing while a caption underneath explains that the dish they showed was washed "several times", I never have to rewash stuff I've rinsed first.

That baby's a lying &%$£
  • Granted I don't have a family to wash for but I just don't like dishwashers.  They're always holding some cutlery or a plate hostage if it's been put on without someone noticing there aren't any spares, and it's wasteful to put them on when there's not much in them yet.  And if you don't pre wash they never get things clean.  If you're only washing for 1 or 2 people they seem more hassle than they're worth
    munckee said:
    yocky said:

That's a vicious lie to get you to use more dishwasher tablets.  Watch the fairy advert with the punk baby who mocks you for rinsing while a caption underneath explains that the dish they showed was washed "several times", I never have to rewash stuff I've rinsed first.

That baby's a lying &%$£
      And if you don't pre wash they never get things clean.  
    I have found the opposite to be true. Obviously I might shake off discarded animal skeletons but other than that it mostly just goes in.
    Danny1969 said:
    When I met my wife she had a dishwasher and it amazed me the hassle you had to go to just to avoid the fairly easy task of washing up. You got to buy the tablets and salts. Then you have to scrape the shit of the plates and stack it in there. Then you can't start it  because there's not enough dirty stuff yet so you need to wait until the food has really baked on. In the meantime you can't have a glass of anything because the 10 you own are all in the dishwasher. Just seems a pointless waste of time and money. Luckily we moved and the new kitchen didn't have space for one. 

Washing machines I understand, we washed clothes by hand growing up and it's hard work. Dishwashers though for your average small family are pointless to me. It's actually quicker and more hygienic to wash up by hand. 
    A friend told me that he and his wife had decided to have an environmental/economical purge on wasteful housework. Their next water bill confirmed they'd used way more water than their dishwasher.
    I read that it's a known fact that dishwashers are massively more efficient for heat and water usage

edited March 2021
    yocky said:

what is this heretical cult you speak of?
    yocky said:

what is this heretical cult you speak of?
    The Guardian is trying to cancel your culture of making more effort than you need to :)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/dec/25/how-to-properly-load-a-dishwasher-if-you-pre-rinse-it-might-actually-come-out-dirtier
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Mrs Fab insists that the plates don't get clean if you stack them in the rack as designed...  she says you have to leave a one-plate gap between each plate - thus immediately halving the capacity of the dishwasher.  I refuse to play that game and will always reorganise it so the plates are stacked correctly, as per the manufacturer's instructions.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Emp_Fab said:
    Mrs Fab insists that the plates don't get clean if you stack them in the rack as designed...  she says you have to leave a one-plate gap between each plate - thus immediately halving the capacity of the dishwasher.  I refuse to play that game and will always reorganise it so the plates are stacked correctly, as per the manufacturer's instructions.
    We leave a gap, but that's because our plates have to go in back-to-front so they lean over at a sharper angle than intended. We get 5/6 in which is just about enough and they do clean properly.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Danny1969 said:

I read that it's a known fact that dishwashers are massively more efficient for heat and water usage

Well I could be wrong but here's why  I trust my engineers instinct. 
    A dishwasher has to pump water and heat water and fire water at pressure against the dishes to remove the food then it has to pump out the dirty water, pump in more clean water for the rinse cycle and then it has to pump out that water. 

I know large currents are switched because I've repaired loads of dishwasher PCB's by changing the relays which switch the motors. Basically anything that uses electricity for heat or forced motion uses a lot of it ... be it an electric fire, a kettle, a washing machine or a dishwasher. 

When you run a bowl of water there's no pumping involved, the water has already been heated by gas which is quite economical. To remove stubborn food we use our own brute force and then when we want to pump it it's done by gravity, no electric involved. 

Lets say you have a 1.3KW dishwasher, doing the maths off the top of my head doing one load of dishes would cost you around 20p .... plus the cost of the tablets and factor in the cost of the machine it's self spread across 5 or 6  years assuming it doesn't need repairing or a service in that period

www.2020studios.co.uk