Good keyboard with weighted keys?

What's Hot
Either 61 or 76 keys, either with built in sounds or not. Anyone know of any good ones? Pref not too modern as I will be looking for second hand!

I haven't looked into keyboards for about 25 years so I'm totally out of the loop.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 2863
    Weighted like a piano? Tricky to find in 61/76 keys.

Or weighted with little metal weights glued under each key to give a bit of feel (compared to the ultra-lightweight cheapo synth type)? They are plentiful - I'd go for a Yamaha or Roland from 10+ years ago, such as a Fantom X6, X7 or S6, etc. Those are workstations, but you can also find simpler synths with the same keybeds (Yamaha V50).

I'm not up to speed with the sound-less MIDI controllers, though. They'd be MUCH cheaper, and also far lighter and take up less studio space.
    I love the smell of asparagus in the morning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 440
    My requirements were a clean keyboard without any buttons or distractions. All I needed was a grand piano sound with weighted keys. I was lucky to buy a technics sx-p30. The few controls and jacks are hidden under the LHS. It also has a secret Rhodes sound. MIDI should I ever need to expand. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 29321
    Budget?

Easier to find on 76 than a 61.
    Studiologic SL73 comes to mind as a controller.
    Various Nord's (6D for example) for something with sounds.

Why weighted?
    Do you want to be playing piano?
    If so then an electric piano (Roland, Kawaii, Yamaha etc) will be a good shout.
    Fewer sounds, but a focus on playability.

If you want something that does it all then get out the big bucks.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 18967
    To be honest I'm not even thinking of budget at the moment, although I did mention 'secondhand' so as not to break the bank.

I have a weighted keys clavinova with midi output that I can use for stuff, But I want something that I can move around with me. I used to use my Korg N364, but having not touched it for a few years, the non weighted keys feel horrible. Feels like a toy. Semi-weighted - I have an M audio thing and that too feels horrible, although it was cheap.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 29321
    edited April 1
    axisus said:
    To be honest I'm not even thinking of budget at the moment, although I did mention 'secondhand' so as not to break the bank.

I have a weighted keys clavinova with midi output that I can use for stuff, But I want something that I can move around with me. I used to use my Korg N364, but having not touched it for a few years, the non weighted keys feel horrible. Feels like a toy. Semi-weighted - I have an M audio thing and that too feels horrible, although it was cheap.
    It is a tricky one then- you have a couple of choices.
    You'll find many more weighted 88 note keyboards for sale than 61 or 76.
    You should be able to nab a bargain.

If you definitely want a smaller keyboard then you might be waiting for quite a while if it has to be weighted.

Not all semi-weighted/synth weighted keyboards are crap.
    Anything with a Fatar keybed is absolutely playable.
    Personally I find some cheaper weighted hammer action keypads worse than good quality synth-weighted.
    The standard answer to "piano-weighted" and "portable" and "cheap" is the Casio series.

But that means 88-keys. PX-5S is old, but gold (has a full-blown synth under the hood) and the more recent CDP-S100 is super-slim and very affordable. PX-S1000 slightly higher spec, ISTR.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 53931
    Just get a Yamaha P-whatever is the lowest number you can find. 88 keys, but as small as a practical keyboard can be otherwise. The keyboard is the same as the more expensive models but the sounds are more limited - although perfectly good.

I have a P-35.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 7942
    goldtop said:
    I'd go for a Yamaha or Roland from 10+ years ago, such as a Fantom X6, X7 or S6, etc. Those are workstations but you can also find simpler synths with the same keybeds (Yamaha V50).
    Roland XP-80 with hard case? Price dependent on how many SR-JV80-nn sound library expansion boards you require (and which ones!). 

This has been my main keyboard since the aftertouch strip on my JX-10 turned as firm as concrete. I am willing to part with the XP because I have duplicates of all of its sounds in other Roland MIDI devices.

DESCRIPTION
    https://www.roland.com/uk/products/xp-80/

REVIEW
    http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/xp80.php

REVERB (for price tracking reasons)
    https://reverb.com/uk/p/roland-xp-80-76-key-64-voice-music-workstation-keyboard

Be seeing you.
    ICBM said:
    Just get a Yamaha P-whatever is the lowest number you can find. 88 keys, but as small as a practical keyboard can be otherwise. The keyboard is the same as the more expensive models but the sounds are more limited - although perfectly good.

I have a P-35.
    Just noticed that there's a P121 which is has 73 piano-weighted keys. Same GHS keybed. P121 is super portable due to the size and weight.

goldtop said:
    I'd go for a Yamaha or Roland from 10+ years ago, such as a Fantom X6, X7 or S6, etc. Those are workstations but you can also find simpler synths with the same keybeds (Yamaha V50).
    Roland XP-80 with hard case? Price dependent on how many SR-JV80-nn sound library expansion boards you require (and which ones!). 

This has been my main keyboard since the aftertouch strip on my JX-10 turned as firm as concrete. I am willing to part with the XP because I have duplicates of all of its sounds in other Roland MIDI devices.

DESCRIPTION
    https://www.roland.com/uk/products/xp-80/

REVIEW
    http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/xp80.php

REVERB (for price tracking reasons)
    https://reverb.com/uk/p/roland-xp-80-76-key-64-voice-music-workstation-keyboard

Yup - that'd be a great buy.