Ever walked into a record store and bought the record that was playing ....

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 19484
... having never heard it before?

I've done it three times

1 Lime spiders Slave Girl Ep. I was blown away by the energy of the track 25th hour - wonderfully raucous!

2 I went into Andy's, the best record store in Norwich. It was some time early 80s and I had gone to buy the latest Deep Purple album. Purple Rain had just been released. I knew of Prince but he was of zero interest to me. Anyway, Darling Nikki came on and I loved it! I went to ask what the record was and was most surprised that it was Prince. Bought the album and still love it, one of the best releases from the 80s. Sadly, Prince was never that exciting again (for me). At the time I couldn't believe I was walking out with a Prince album!

3 I was up in the Jazz section of Tower records, probably late 80s, and they were playing the Afro celt sound system first album. I was wandering around browsing for about 20 minutes (wonderful record shop) and decided to buy it.

.... followed by 30+ years of it not happening again ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 2481
    edited April 18
    Yep and I think they were all at HMV stores
    MSG (Michael Schenker Group)- Live at The Budokan
    Dub Side of the Moon by The Easy Star All-Stars
    Glory Road - Gillan
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 1198
    Yes America’s first album from the record shop in Andover in the early eighties. It was the only copy so I had to stay there until it finished. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 258
    HMV in Bath I think.....The first Biffy Clyro album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • In my home town in Marlborough, I walked in to the long gone record store that I had spent a fortune in over the years. U2’s October was playing, I bought it on the spot, still love early era U2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MattWMattW Frets: 73
    Used to happen a lot for me in a small shop on Park St back when I was living in Bristol - can’t even recall the name of it now, closed years ago. Got the first Charlie Parr album in there plus a ticket for a gig he was playing a couple of weeks later based on the track that was playing as I walked into the store. Another time I was queueing for something else when Thickfreakness started playing. By the time I got to the counter I had no interest in what I was originally waiting to buy and had to have that instead. Used to love that place, was gutted when I went back a few years after moving away and found it had closed down.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1000
    Couldn’t Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughn. It had just come out , 83?, I’d heard about him but hadn’t heard him playing. I asked at the counter who it was and then remembered his name and bought it.  
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1427
    About twenty years ago when I was still living in the States I was browsing around in Newbury Comics in North Attleborough. They had this amazing music playing over the sound system. Went to ask the guy at the counter what it was and he told me it was The Fucking Champs. So with a name like that & the music being cool I thought "well, gotta buy it" and did.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 445
    Al green let’s stay together and the raconteurs, consolers. Almost bought the Trojan ska collection playing the other day. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 307
    I’ve done this a few times over the years, I’m sure. I remember having a nice chat with the guy serving in HMV Trafford Centre a few years ago who sold me a couple of CDs based on something I said about who was playing when I walked up to pay. I always used to feel like the staff in these shops would look at what you’re buying and make some sort of judgment on your taste. :)

Sometimes you’d get a decent conversation too. I was practically on first name terms with the folk in HMV in Leith back in the early 2000s when I worked nearby.

I miss this stuff actually. Those days are long gone.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1563
    Last time I was in HMV Belfast - feels like a lifetime ago....   Surprise Chef - All News is Good News. This funky, 70s sounding music was playing - for the first time in years, I asked the girl at the till who it was and bought the last (only?) copy they had. 

I hadn't done that since the 80s. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 6020
    Yeah, there was a little independent store playing BRMC's debut album - Specifically the track "Rifles". Bought that.

And not exactly a record store, but WH Smiths in Stratford was playing the Music's debut album and I got that too.

I'm sure there've been others, but they're the two that spring to mind.
    Captain Horizon (my old band);
    Very (!) Occasional Blog
  • vizviz Frets: 7421
    edited April 18
    Amy Winehouse’s first album - they were playing In My Bed. 

I think that was the last new music I bought lol. Terrible I know!
    Anything that isn’t pentatonic is pretentious wank -  LastMantra
    more on the strength of my ability to own a PA than to play a guitar” - ICBM
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 6509
    edited April 18
    Yes, in a record store in Vienna when I lived there, a local band called Les Hommes Sauvages album was playing, bought it on the spot, still in touch with a couple of members of the band in fact to this day.

It wasn't this song (the only have a couple songs on Spotify) but this is the general style
    I want to be forgotten, and I don't want to be reminded
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 81
    Yes, Björk’s Debut.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 8099
    At Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus, on separate occasions, I bought Kula Shaker's "K" from the main bit and a Hounddog Taylor album when in the blues section.

I also used to buy many of the albums I heard when I went into the late, lamented Terrapin Trucking in Crouch End. That was a magical place.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 2115
    Yes a Gretchen Peters album many years ago. Must have caught me in the right mood as I never really enjoyed it again. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 4340
    4 times for me..

1. George Clinton - R&B Skeletons In The Closet .. After hearing the killer bass on 'Hey Good Looking
    2. The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony etc .. cos of 'No Speak No Slave'.
    3. The Darkness - Permission To Land .. cos of 'Love Is Only A Feeling'.
    4. Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid .. cos 'Wondaland'.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 3695
    Audioslave - went into HMV Reading, heard it, asked assistant what it was, he told me, I bought it.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 4645
    Yeah a few times.

Ironically mostly albums I never listened to again.  It's the "buoyancy" of going in all happy because you are going to have a bit of a splurge...
    We should all probably bear in mind more when posting on here (and I don't exclude myself from this) that the guitar world is very small, the Fretboard is quite well known, and it is not uncommon at all for the subjects of our posts to read them...
  • Does listening to the albums on headphones in the store count? I used to spend a lot of time listening to them. Can’t remember specific albums......might have got L7 Bricks are Heavy and Teenage Fanclub’s Bandwagonesque this way.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 55424
    Not as far as I can remember, but I did once drive directly to a record shop and buy the album after I heard a song for the first time on the car radio.

Evanescence - Bring Me To Life - Fallen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 673
    I was in the old Reddingtons Rare Records in Brum in the early 80’s and “Satan’s Serenade “ by Quartz came on, thought it was great, bought it  on red vinyl, and the chap asked if I wanted it signed as the lead singer ,Taffy Taylor, was stood behind me!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 2115
    ICBM said:
    Not as far as I can remember, but I did once drive directly to a record shop and buy the album after I heard a song for the first time on the car radio.

Evanescence - Bring Me To Life - Fallen.
    Same. Never regretted that purchase. Has very much stood the test of time too. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 55424
    Grumpyrocker said:

Never regretted that purchase. Has very much stood the test of time too. 
    Still one of my favourite albums of the last 20 years. Shame the band didn't! They were never the same after Ben Moody and David Hodges left.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Once at Fop. Bought the Ryan Adams self titled album. Still play it now, fantastic depth.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1046
    Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin in Nottingham MVC amazingly!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7219
    The Beta Band “Dry the Rain” was playing, just had to buy their “The Three EPs”
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 126
    Yes, the Propellerheads album Decksandrumsandrockandroll
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 8319
    Rudder - Matorning.

There must be others but none comes to mind right now.
    Be seeing you.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 3456
    The Beta Band “Dry the Rain” was playing, just had to buy their “The Three EPs”
    Were you in Championship Vinyl by any chance? ;)

I'm sure it's not the only time I've done this, but I remember doing it in HMV in Sheffield with an album by Robert Randolph and the Family Band. I kept hearing tasty blues licks, then a guitar doing things I was fairly sure a guitar couldn't do. "What witchcraft is this?" I asked the guy at the counter, and he duly sold me the album.

On the back cover is Randolph's pedal steel. Oh. Riiiiiight.

I also had the memorable experience of working in a record shop one Christmas (between jobs, had always fancied it...). It was a bit of a game for us to try to pick stuff to play on the shop stereo that people would buy. I know I shifted a few copies of a Chess records compilation (everybody needs Chess Chartbusters Vol 1-6), and the first Crosby, Stills and Nash album. The boss eventually had to institute a rule that we couldn't play anything on the stereo we didn't have two copies of in stock.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.