Potential break away European super football league

What's Hot

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3809
    edited April 2021
    People seem to be confusing brands with football teams
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    Woodward rumoured to have resigned from Man Utd! This is getting mental!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5822
    edited April 2021
    That's not mental, it's fantastic news. The owners need to be next out the door.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    Credit to the fans of those 6 clubs for coming out and protesting and believing it is a sport for the fans and about competition
    - It would have been so easy for those fans to say, great we are bigger and we are moving on to something bigger - So top marks for those fans

The game and authorities is not 100% right and/or fair and maybe they can adjust a few details - But the jist is that it is game we love and we need to support each other
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    Freebird said:
    I'd have put money on Man City to pull the plug on this - 2/3 journalist had already suggested that it was led by the Yank owners of MUFC/LFC but 2/3 other clubs were not to happy with the situation and felt that they had to join potentially join a movement and not lead it 
    Manchester United and Real Madrid were the ringleaders.
    and Liverpool 

As someone else said today, the only thing they had done well is to keep it quiet until Sunday - It would have been discussed at owner level and possible top executive level for many months 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1490
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56824130
    edited April 2021
    Barcelona & Atletico Madrid out ... Superlega now down to 8 clubs. Spurs hoping it drops to 1 so they can finally win a trophy.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    But apparently not ESL related..... (according to the BBC)

It strikes me, that this is now a huge, huge opportunity for national associations like the FA to boldly step in and lay out a blue print to lead football back to a sport that actually means something.

Football has been dead ever since the PL kicked off. Rich clubs, hoovering up talent at all levels from all markets. The competition is to not only see the success on the football pitch but success in the boardroom too. Is it any wonder that businessmen have concocted a business plan that protected financial interest above those of the game itself.

UEFA and FIFA are just as culpable for this mess and along with the PL have laid the foundations. Their house is not in order, they do not promote the good of the whole game, they are focused on revenue, marketing and expansion.

The 12 clubs will bear the fall out of this one, and you can bet your life that UEFA, FIFA, PL etc will do all they can to put the boot in whilst simultaneously ignoring the fact that they are the cancer that his slowly consuming the sport.

Football lost it's soul and romance a long time ago and I'm not sure that even an episode such as this will ever be able to bring it back unless the governing bodies take a long hard look at themselves and really decide to promote the interests of the whole game, not just the interests of making a big business. 

The joy of sport should be that it's accessible, fun,  a barrel of emotions and unpredictability that you can invest your heart in. Across multiple sports we now have governing bodies whose only goal is revenue generation with no respect or regard for the traditions of the game. 

Here in Switzerland I have really enjoyed ice hockey since I moved in 2006 - its small, local, deeply tribal and year to year unpredictable. Sure, the bigger clubs tend to win, but smaller clubs do rock the boat regularly. The hope for the fan is always there and you see success for other teams that brings this hope. This is why Leicester winning the PL was so celebrated, it enabled every other teams fan to dream again and brought some much needed magic back.

How can Football be fixed? Can it be fixed? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    That's not mental, it's fantastic news. The owners need to be next out the door.

Mental and fantastic can be the same thing. Glad he's gone. 

Personally I've never been one for rivalries. I'm West Ham and I'm a season ticket holder. I want all clubs to be run well, as that benefits everyone and their communities. I hope this downfall will improve some of these clubs and some legislation will bring in a new era of fan participation like they have in other countries with fans on the board. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24993
    This is good news, but slightly ironic that UEFA and FIFA will come out of this episode looking like paragons of honesty and integrity.  And everyone will welcome the new Champions League format, which is already skewed to favour the big clubs...
  • The fact that UEFA are trying to hold some kind of moral high ground is pretty hilarious 
    Philly_Q said:
    This is good news, but slightly ironic that UEFA and FIFA will come out of this episode looking like paragons of honesty and integrity.  And everyone will welcome the new Champions League format, which is already skewed to favour the big clubs...
    Your surely not suggesting a conspiracy theory concocted by UEFA to get the new CL proposal through with some future favours to the 12 ESL clubs.

Would be awesome :grin: 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24993
    Philly_Q said:
    Your surely not suggesting a conspiracy theory concocted by UEFA to get the new CL proposal through with some future favours to the 12 ESL clubs.

Would be awesome :grin: 
    I don't think they're that clever.

But it was funny listening to Gianni Infantino earlier today going on about the high standards and principles FIFA represents, then remembering he took over from Sepp Blatter.
    An elite Super League team has failed to win against riff-raff opposition for the second time in two days!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I hope people don't congratulate these clubs. And I hope UEFA use this opportunity to punish these clubs. Perfect opportunity for some of them to be disqualified from this year's CL semi finals lol. 

What are they gonna do, break away and form their own league?!!
    edited April 2021
    I hope people don't congratulate these clubs. And I hope UEFA use this opportunity to punish these clubs. Perfect opportunity for some of them to be disqualified from this year's CL semi finals lol. 

They could start their own league and fix it so that every game ends 0-0, thereby ensuring the winners trophy is shared between all the participants every year! With every team being a perpetual champion forever, the glory hunter fans will be kept happy, so it's a win-win situation for everybody concerned 

I don't think UEFA will do anything. Ruining the semis would harm the TV deals and sponsorship. Can't but the money at risk....
  • I hope people don't congratulate these clubs. And I hope UEFA use this opportunity to punish these clubs. Perfect opportunity for some of them to be disqualified from this year's CL semi finals lol. 

I don't think UEFA will do anything. Ruining the semis would harm the TV deals and sponsorship. Can't but the money at risk....
    The fans will forgive this, and everything will go on as usual I think. Hope I'm proved wrong but I think some fans may even become more devoted in their bizarre religion - "they saw what they did wrong and they made it right".

No mate, they saw this could cost them money so they stopped.