Potential break away European super football league

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    Just my own view, but even under the current format of the CL, that starts off with a 'seeded' league, I'd like to see it as a straight knock out stage from day one - FA Cup style - Fight from day one - Imagine that last round of Bayern v PSG in the 1st round - I know why it won't happen - After all the tennis majors are all seeded, to prevent RF playing RN playing in the 1st round (back in the old days)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Just picked up an interesting stat - Man U, Man City, Arsenal + Spurs combined have won the CL less times than 'little' Ajax - And you need to add those 4 clubs + Chelsea to equal the record amount of wins of Ajax, so what is elite about that 
    Elite in today's context = most wealthy and most marketable.

These clubs spend huge amounts to keep at the top and they all know it is not sustainable and risk of relegation means every season and investment is a gamble.

Step 1 no doubt is trial an ESL

Step 2 is WSL (world)

Step 3 is leaving local leagues. IMO

No relegation means there is no real risk on investment as collectively they need to keep the quality high, winning the thing is less relevant than keeping it popular.

Make the pie bigger and give out fewer slices.

The thing that has really struck me though, is that football already is ruined and I'm not sure that I care.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    Premier League should just schedule games in mid week, which clash with SL matches.  Then penalise any Premier League team that sends a weakened team.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Just picked up an interesting stat - Man U, Man City, Arsenal + Spurs combined have won the CL less times than 'little' Ajax - And you need to add those 4 clubs + Chelsea to equal the record amount of wins of Ajax, so what is elite about that 

These clubs spend huge amounts to keep at the top and they all know it is not sustainable and risk of relegation means every season and investment is a gamble.

Step 2 is WSL (world)

No relegation means there is no real risk on investment as collectively they need to keep the quality high, winning the thing is less relevant than keeping it popular.

The thing that has really struck me though, is that football already is ruined and I'm not sure that I care.
    I said in another forum that looking ahead, it's likely that some owners in MLS has already made calls trying to join down the line if this takes off, then you can expect possible teams in China of Saudi trying to join.  You know a Chinese team that can play Man U or Real and Barca will attract big numbers in China and the paycheque for that will be enormous for everyone involved.

Bam, you have a World Super League as you said.

I don't expect south american teams joining though, their fans shoots players who accidentally scores an own goal.  I can't imagine what their fans would do to a team trying to pull out of their own league.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24992
    Rumours breaking now that Chelsea are pulling out....
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    BBC News - European Super League: Chelsea preparing to withdraw from proposed competition
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5822
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    And Man City now too. 

The whole thing looks like it'll start to collapse. 
    tFB Trader
    Bravo Roman - I'm not a fan of the guy but full marks for this - At least the guy is the face of his club and transparent, many of us could not identify the owners of the other 5 clubs - Will this make him popular again and Boris allow him back into England

I'd have put money on Man City to pull the plug on this - 2/3 journalist had already suggested that it was led by the Yank owners of MUFC/LFC but 2/3 other clubs were not to happy with the situation and felt that they had to join potentially join a movement and not lead it 

Apparently Man City about to follow any minute now

That will be the end of it - Move on 
    tFB Trader

Step 2 is WSL (world)

Elite in today's context does not mean you have the right to unlimited protection of this in a free market - They want a closed market and that is NOT SPORT IN ANY FORMAT especially in the peoples game

But anyway it has now all collapsed - City about to follow Chelsea - GREAT NEWS

Well done fans and Gary Neville amongst many others
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    Premier League should just schedule games in mid week, which clash with SL matches.  Then penalise any Premier League team that sends a weakened team.  
    I'd had the same thought in a tongue in cheek way that could work - Plus Monday and Friday matches for them so no recovery time from their Wed night matches

But doesn't matter now - all about to collapse 
    tFB Trader
    So now how long will the MUFC and LFC USA owners stick with it - Sure there will be big protests from fans about this 
    I'd have put money on Man City to pull the plug on this - 2/3 journalist had already suggested that it was led by the Yank owners of MUFC/LFC but 2/3 other clubs were not to happy with the situation and felt that they had to join potentially join a movement and not lead it 
    Manchester United and Real Madrid were the ringleaders.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    Bravo Roman - I'm not a fan of the guy but full marks for this - At least the guy is the face of his club and transparent, many of us could not identify the owners of the other 5 clubs - Will this make him popular again and Boris allow him back into England

Apparently Man City about to follow any minute now

That will be the end of it - Move on 
    No, let's not move on.

Maybe some of the people who've spent the last few days moaning about sporting integrity and money destroying football should actually do something about it instead of pretending that the status quo is anything to do with equality or fairness.

However, I suspect we'll find out that morality is skin deep from the likes of Sky, The Premier League, etc. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3591
    Freebird said:
    Manchester United and Real Madrid were the ringleaders.
    They will be there til the bitter end. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Let this be a trigger in some legislation being with regards to fans ownership to put in place.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3591
    Let this be a trigger in some legislation being with regards to fans ownership to put in place.
    I can't see it happen, the Glazers and others make too much to hand over the reigns.
    Big respect to the German and French clubs who refused to get involved.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2813
    Ah for a moment I thought this might prick that burst the hugely over inflated 'elite' football bubble... The little old Premier league and all the hangers on in the media are going to be painted as the voice of the fans... Boak
    edited April 2021
    Well done fans and Gary Neville amongst many others
    The Liverpool captain James Milner and manager Jürgen Klopp deserve recognition for speaking out on the record in the midst of all the chaos, and that was probably the turning point when they went against the owners of their own club.