So... Mountain Bikes (and NMBD).

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    I saw some guy on an E bike ride past me the other day. Completely and utterly demoralising when I'm pushing myself on my bike and this dude just zooms past me like he's on a Fireblade! :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I saw some guy on an E bike ride past me the other day. Completely and utterly demoralising when I'm pushing myself on my bike and this dude just zooms past me like he's on a Fireblade! :(
    It's even worse when it's an old lady....

On the other hand, I hope that I will now be able to ride, even in old age :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Got muddy.

• octatonic said:
    Got muddy.

I just got back too, got similarly muddy and got a puncture :-(
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/

• I just got back too, got similarly muddy and got a puncture :-(
    My new one is tubeless ready, that’ll be more than a novelty once I sort the tyres out! Seems like a good way of avoiding most of the small punctures at least.

@DiscoStu - yep, me too. I’m renting one for the lake district, but have no expectation of buying one anytime soon. I was genuinely floored at some of the prices - I could get another motorbike for the same or less! :o

• I just got back too, got similarly muddy and got a puncture :-(
    My new one is tubeless ready, that’ll be more than a novelty once I sort the tyres out! Seems like a good way of avoiding most of the small punctures at least.
    The new wheels I bought for my road bike (actually a cyclocross bike) a couple of years ago are tubeless ready, no idea what that entails though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/

I just got back too, got similarly muddy and got a puncture :-(

@DiscoStu - yep, me too. I’m renting one for the lake district, but have no expectation of buying one anytime soon. I was genuinely floored at some of the prices - I could get another motorbike for the same or less! :o
    Tubeless is a game changer in my opinion. Lighter, feels better and more reliable. I did mine this year and I wish I had done it years ago.

I was doing a shaley downhill in Engelberg a few weeks back, riders pinch flatting all over the place. Tubeless held up all weekend.

Just remember to top up the fluid, get a repair kit and carry a tube.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I took myself out to the Surrey Hills yesterday after a few years of not riding. Great to revisit old routes and confirmed that the bug is still there. Really enjoyed it and far better for me than road running to get the weight off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Went out again today, also got a puncture again. This time I ripped my tyre an inch open on a steep flinty downhill, the tube didn't stand a chance. Fitted a new tube but was limited on how much air I could put in without the tube sticking out the hole in the tyre, it was a slow careful ride back to the car. Luckily i'd only ridden a mile or so.

Can anyone recommend a good strong 2.1 26" tyre with puncture resistance?

Also, does anyone what kind of tyre pressure a 90kg fella running 26" x 2.1 tyres and riding XC on varied terrain should be using? I had 30 psi front and 35 rear today. Last week I had 40 rear and 35 front. Punctures both weeks.
    edited September 2020
    If you are on flint, then get some park tyre boots. They are sticky thin plastic rectangles that you can use to patch the tyre. It stops the inner tube bulging out. 

I am a fan of Schwalbe Hans dampf and panaracer rampage tyres. Go for most durable compound and sidewall protection. I like 2.3 and 2.6 though. Not a fan of 2.1 and no idea if those tyres exist in that width.

Regarding psi, no idea. I never measure it. I just kind of know how much squish I like!
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    With tubes higher pressures equals fewer punctures but see the comments above re tubeless, it’s not that difficult to set up, Stans fluid, gorilla tape etc.. loads of info on YouTube and you’ll benefit from significantly fewer tyre inflation issues.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited September 2020
    If you are on flint, then get some park tyre boots. They are sticky thin plastic rectangles that you can use to patch the tyre. It stops the inner tube bulging out. 

I am a fan of Schwalbe Hans dampf and panaracer rampage tyres. Go for most durable compound and sidewall protection. I like 2.3 and 2.6 though. Not a fan of 2.1 and no idea if those tyres exist in that width.

Regarding psi, no idea. I never measure it. I just kind of know how much squish I like!
    Ok cool, i'll have a look into the tyre boots - they would have been v handy today.

Are you running 2.3 and 2.6 for XC or downhill? I thought they'd be a bit too wide for XC? If not i'll look into getting some as 2.1 tyres are a bit scarce at the moment.

My current tyres are some Schwalbe Nobby Nics but i'm not sure about the grip on the front. I've Googled the Hans Dampf and they seem a better choice. Re sidewall protection, i'm a bit confused re Schwalbes options, I can get some Super Gravity - these seem to have greater protection, are these the ones you use? Snakeskin is also an option but i've read reviews that say it's a bit fragile.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-26-addix-folding-634372?varid=634378
  • I have the adix soft, snake skin, super gravity, evolution.

They don't make it easy!!

Next year I will put the harder adix blue on the rear.

I do a lot of xc and DH however the DH often involves a big ride up, often 500 to 700m of climbing.

2.6 is slightly slower and slightly more effort than 2.3 but I really like the feel and grip. 

If your exclusively riding xc then 2.3 might be a good choice. 
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited September 2020
    I have the adix soft, snake skin, super gravity, evolution.

They don't make it easy!!

Next year I will put the harder adix blue on the rear.

I do a lot of xc and DH however the DH often involves a big ride up, often 500 to 700m of climbing.

2.6 is slightly slower and slightly more effort than 2.3 but I really like the feel and grip. 

If your exclusively riding xc then 2.3 might be a good choice. 
    Thanks for that, I think i'll take your advice and give them a try!

Re the Park Tyre Boots, are they meant for a permanent repair or just a temporary fix to get you home?
  • @Johnnyseven very much an emergency get you home fix. 
    Ok cool, I bought some anyway just in case.

Also bought a shock pump and 2 of Hans Dampf. I could only get the orange stripe ones though, literally nowhere seemed to have the blue.
    Ok cool, I bought some anyway just in case.

Also bought a shock pump and 2 of Hans Dampf. I could only get the orange stripe ones though, literally nowhere seemed to have the blue.
    Hope you like them then! It takes a while to find tyres you really like and that suit your riding and terrain. 

Was just looking at my stats and I've done around 1500 km on them this year and about 30000m of up! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Teetonetal there seems to be such a shortage of 26" tyres at the moment that i'm just glad I could get some decent ones. The rubber may be a bit soft for the rear but hopefully it'll be easier to get hold of a replacement by the time it's worn out!
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    I had some 26" Maxxis Minion tyres on my last bike, 2.3 I think. DHF and DHR. If you want thinner than that it's probably time to get a more upto date bike ;)

I've got 2.6 Schwalbe Rocket Ron (rear) and Nobby Nic (front) on my current bike - 27.5 wheel size. Top end ones (evo?) with the blue line on them. Prefer them to the Maxxis. They have lasted all year so far without puncture. I'll probably stick with this brand. They went on super easy too.
  • Thanks for the suggestions,not really keen on changing my bike to fit a pair of tyres though ;-)

Mine's only 15 years old and was a 1.5k bike back then, surely it's not already past it?

I have a Nobby Nic at the front at the but only a 2.1, I wasn't comfortable with it cornering - maybe a 2.3 would be better?

Anyway, I bought some 2.3 Schwalbe Hans Dampf after the recommendation above - hopefully they work out well.