John Mayer: Sob Rock and a Pink Silver Sky

What's Hot

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1096
    edited July 2021
    Don't know if more can be added to a 12 page thread of nonsense (in the nicest sense of the word) but I enjoyed the album. And learning some of the songs they are clever enough in terms of chord sequences and Mayer's usual mixing major and minor pentatonics. I would love to get my hands on a pink Silver Sky and give one a go. I give them enough stick so it would be nice to try one out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11928
    I'll confess I've never knowingly listened to John Mayer, so I joined this thread late in the day to see what the fuss was about.  The song is pretty dreadful.  He may be a great guitarist but precious little evidence of it here.  The PRS SS may be a fine bit of kit, but that headstock is sooooooooo wrong on a S-type guitar.  So it's a 'no' all round from me I'm afraid.  But each to their own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27156
    I’m quite enjoying that at least 3 songs from this record were already released as singles over the last couple of years and broken noticed.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4866
    This performance on Fallon is great, channelling Clapton at the end. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7219
    ….:::The guitar is a pleasant, inoffensive but fleeting presence; to say there's lots of potential for extended solos live... well you could say that about anything.  "It would be a great guitar album if you can imagine the guitar parts".

Don’t forget that imaginary guitar notes exist only in the mind of the imaginer. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Regarding studio albums, I loved everything from 'Room for Squares' to 'Born & Raised'...but I don't think I've listened to the next three more than a couple of times each ;-/

I want to ask 'how did it go so wrong?' but he's doing just fine without me ;)

Has anyone posted the Zane Lowe interview? What a load of bullshit...am I not in on the joke? I had to check that it wasn't a SNL skit!

Here it is in all its glorious surreality:

I managed 6 mins. That was horrible. 

I loved heavier things when it came out, and have really enjoyed continuum over the years. But I just don’t rate this new album. 

Incidentally, I hated the silver sky for the longest time (never played one), but in recent weeks I’ve started to have a creeping liking for them. Guess the marketing for middle aged douchebags is working on me...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I've never understood the appeal of Mr Mayer. 
    The music is so very bland and yet from the occasional live clips I've seen it seems he does have real ability, but chooses instead to play and record this emotionless pap. Luckily for him, my opinion matters not one bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    It also puts me off him that rather than the mr loverman image he projects most of his celebrity exs have described him as an emotionally manipulative creep rather than god's gift to women.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806

Has anyone posted the Zane Lowe interview? What a load of bullshit...am I not in on the joke? I had to check that it wasn't a SNL skit!

Holy shit, they are taking the mick out of us all right?

"John, do you agree you are a god among men"
    "well, yeah,yeah man"
    "What about your musicianship, it's brilliant, do you have anything brilliant to say?"
    "well yeah, I mean, sure, yeah"

Zane Lowe has always been a shit interviewer, but I'll give Meyer credit even he must find this just a bit uncomfortable?

I couldn't watch the whole thing, but I assume Lowe just sucks his dick by the end right?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 460
    edited July 2021

I managed about a minute! Mayer looks off his nut and what the fuck has happened to Zane Lowe?  When did he turn into a Yank???  Wouldn’t be out of place on SNL!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022
    edited July 2021

I thought well, I listened to the album, I'll give this a go too.... but I just couldn't.
    gusman2x said:
    <terrible hagiographic John Mayer interview>
    I managed 6 mins. That was horrible. 
    6 minutes?  HOW?  Did you pass SAS selection?

You all realize the Apple interview is all part of the Sob rock schtick? I thought the Brits invented irony?
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 367
    Listened to the first 2 tracks of the album but then gave up. I’ve tried giving Continuum a go in the past but I just can’t stand to listen to his singing. Shame as he’s clearly an exceptional guitarist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    You all realize the Apple interview is all part of the Sob rock schtick? I thought the Brits invented irony?

If irony it is, then it's a shame they didn't also learn brevity.
  • AornicAornic Frets: 480

I am curious to know what people who don't rate Mayer on this forum would think of this clip from 2005.

If nothing else, the guy has always worn his influences on his sleeve entirely. B.B. King on this track, 80s ballads/pop radio on the latest. It is what it is, and I've come around on more tracks upon further listens and can appreciate him going where he wants to with his career - even if it can result in tracks I'd skip over.

This was the height of his output that I found interesting though, personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh4n1bZi4d8

Always enjoy this video of Mayer and Clapton doing Crossroads (in all its 240p glory).

Notice Eric's wee cue to Mayer to take the solo at 1:20 and then Clapton's big smiles listening to Mayer rip. All good fun.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 480
    edited July 2021
    LPManic said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh4n1bZi4d8

Always enjoy this video of Mayer and Clapton doing Crossroads (in all its 240p glory).

Notice Eric's wee cue to Mayer to take the solo at 1:20 and then Clapton's big smiles listening to Mayer rip. All good fun.

I wouldn't be surprised if he thought up the 80s retro concept during this performance . 

There's another clip on YouTube of Clapton calling Mayer a "master guitarist". I do think there's this general idea amongst the guitar community that he's either overrated as a player, or that he squanders his talents by doing pop songs. The irony is that if Mayer, who is as big a fan of pop and songwriting as he is of blues and guitar, had taken the approach that many on guitar forums want - he'd be mentioned in the same vein as Joe B and other "guitarist's guitarists" in the blues realm and would not enjoy the huge crossover that he's had in his career and all the mainstream fame and fortune that came with it.

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3769
    edited July 2021
    I’m just listening to now. It’s perfectly pleasant, easy background music. I’d love more guitar in there, in fact think it needs more interesting instrumentation, due to the blandness of the vocal.

I can’t help but think it would be much better if sung by somebody with more character in their voice, for example Ron Sexsmith (Wild Blue sounds like it could be one his songs, albeit with a Chris Rea solo dropped in).
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3769
    Aornic said:

I am curious to know what people who don't rate Mayer on this forum would think of this clip from 2005.

I think this is a great song and his voice is so much more distinct. Lovely guitar playing too.. It’s actually the only song of his I knew prior to trying the new album. It wouldn’t be out of place on a Jeff Buckley album (with more vocal histrionics), which is a compliment from me.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent