John Mayer: Sob Rock and a Pink Silver Sky

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11928
    @Aornic "There's another clip on YouTube of Clapton calling Mayer a "master guitarist""...

Well I've never considered Clapton to be a 'master guitarist' either.  Distinctly average at best, although I like a lot of his music and I think he's a great songwriter.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7 said:
    I'm not averse to a shell pink strat, but that pink silver sky looks a bit shit. 

Apparently its the correct shade of Johns Bell end* 

(*tm)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    Fishboy7 said:
    I'm not averse to a shell pink strat, but that pink silver sky looks a bit shit. 

Apparently its the correct shade of Johns Bell end* 

(*tm)
    What colour is your signature PRS?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1096
    Offset said:

Well I've never considered Clapton to be a 'master guitarist' either.  Distinctly average at best, although I like a lot of his music and I think he's a great songwriter.
    I think we've reached peak guitar forum here. I think we can all go home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

I thought that might get a rise :-)
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    listened to the album this afternoon, gave it a full chance , listened to the whole thing. Wont be listening again, just middle of the road  soft American pish. Suspect the Mrs may like it but its a hard no from me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3769
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

White Room, Layla, While My Guitar Gently Weeps...I'm not a fan of most of his stuff but that list demands respect.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11808
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

I think we need someone to point out that Hendrix, Clapton, Page etc. were all awful compared to someone we all have to Google, because that makes them look clever.

THEN we can all go home.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

White Room, Layla, While My Guitar Gently Weeps...I'm not a fan of most of his stuff but that list demands respect.
    And it has my respect.  The songs, not necessarily the playing.  The great guitar work on Layla came from Duane Allman.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Offset said:
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

And it has my respect.  The songs, not necessarily the playing.  The great guitar work on Layla came from Duane Allman.
    Two of those he doesn't get a songwriting credit for and the other one is co-written. His list of songwriting credits isn't huge within the context of his career. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Offset said:
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

Two of those he doesn't get a songwriting credit for and the other one is co-written. His list of songwriting credits isn't huge within the context of his career. 
    Yeah, but he DID write Badge.  Which is a fab song.  Not to mention Sunshine Of Your Love.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    I've been through the Mayer album a couple of times and I've got to say I enjoyed it. It's not perfect but it was very pleasant while weaving through the rush hour traffic in 32° heat.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3292
    I've been through the Mayer album a couple of times and I've got to say I enjoyed it. It's not perfect but it was very pleasant while weaving through the rush hour traffic in 32° heat.
    So, you're saying you need to be doing something awful whilst listening in order to enjoy it? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    So, you're saying you need to be doing something awful whilst listening in order to enjoy it? ;)
    I was trying to evoke the visuals of an 80s movie montage :) I now have Last Train Home as an earworm so the hook has worked on me at least. Not a bad journey with the aircon on.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Offset said:
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

Clapton is one of the all time guitar greats, period. Anyone suggesting otherwise lacks serious insight (and taste)….at the very least insight into the historical context of his contributions. 

What do you think his playing lacks, within the blues-rock genre? 

Perhaps you could post a video of yourself demonstrating the things he should be working on? As you think Clapton is “distinctly average at best” it really shouldn’t be that difficult!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3769
    Offset said:
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

Who cares? His playing is still great on these tracks. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited July 2021
    TINMAN82 said:
    Offset said:
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

Clapton is one of the all time guitar greats, period. Anyone suggesting otherwise lacks serious insight (and taste)….at the very least insight into the historical context of his contributions. 

Perhaps you could post a video of yourself demonstrating the things he should be working on? As you think Clapton is “distinctly average at best” it really shouldn’t be that difficult!
    I lack neither insight nor taste,  but the latter is subjective.  I don't consider Clapton to be a 'great' guitarist, period.  I've played guitar for 45 years, so I do have a definite degree of insight.  What does his playing lack?  Edge, excitement and a bit of technique.  To my ears at least.  As a player?  Over-rated.  As someone who has made a MAJOR contribution to music - possibly under-rated.  I don't have to post a vid of myself 'demonstrating the things he should be working on' because I'm not a pro guitarist and I'm entitled to my opinion, end of.  Let's not fall out badger - that's what I think.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1096
    edited July 2021
    Offset said:

I lack neither insight nor taste,  but the latter is subjective.  I don't consider Clapton to be a 'great' guitarist, period.  I've played guitar for 45 years, so I do have a definite degree of insight.  What does his playing lack?  Edge, excitement and a bit of technique.  To my ears at least.  As a player?  Over-rated.  As someone who has made a MAJOR contribution to music - possibly under-rated.  I don't have to post a vid of myself 'demonstrating the things he should be working on' because I'm not a pro guitarist and I'm entitled to my opinion, end of.  Let's not fall out badger - that's what I think.
    This has all gone a bit Pete Tong. But in a more seriousness vein, Greg Koch has made the point a few times on his podcast (which is fantastic) that Clapton kind of gave up with advancing his guitar playing as he entered the 70s and whatever his guitar playing was up to then that was it. Greg sometimes wonders what Clapton could have done simply in terms of the guitar if he had pushed that bit more into more complex stuff rather than being happy mixing his majors and minors and focusing on songs (and I imagine making money!)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Offset said:
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

Who cares? His playing is still great on these tracks. 
    I meant to add a little addendum - seems perfectly valid to me to for anyone to have had a musical career without ever having written a note but just seemed odd that he was being praised for his songwriting whereas in a career lasting longer than most of us have been alive the notable songs he has written  are a handful whereas he is being criticised here for his playing which is the thing he is usually recognised for.

Anyway, this Discussion is about pointing out our disappointments with John Mayer and not our ones with Eric Clapton.      
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited July 2021
    Offset said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Offset said:
    LPManic said:
    Offset said:

What’s not subjective is use of the word “average”, which implies there are roughly as many guitar players on the planet who are “better” than Clapton as there are worse. Whatever parameters you use to define better I think most people would accept this is unlikely.

Yes his songs, note choice and phrasing are to a degree subjective. But he’s had such a long career with varied “phases” that it’s hard to believe someone who genuinely likes blues-rock music wouldn’t find examples of objectively great playing somewhere. Even if it’s way back in the Cream days, even if it’s only in the context of that “time”…. before people started shredding on pointier axes. He arguably invented overdriven guitar tone by plugging a Les Paul into a Marshall for the first time.

Pointless arguments these. Sigh.