Tokyo Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    Excellent by Matt Walls - Omnium  is probably my favourite track cycling event 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    sinbaadi said:
    I am playing devil's advocate here tbh.  I like extreme sports, and what these kids can do is unreal.  20 years ago it would have been unthinkable.

I find it odd that nobody sees a downside for these girls in the long term, though.  Particularly if being small gives them an advantage now.   Young blood always comes through, but senior careers shouldn't be ended by growing up.
    Well, just to be boring I do wonder if it's good for them to be missing out on school, being with their own age group, whether it's healthy to be hanging out with a group of older teens/young adults who I'd guess like to party fairly hard (sorry, stereotyping...).  And also if it's a generally "safe" environment where they're adequately chaperoned and not bullied or exploited.

I do realise that's probably academic.  If at 12 you can decide you're going to be a pro skateboarder (or social media influencer, or whatever) and that career path exists, then trying to delay by a few years, essentially just to follow convention, may be pretty pointless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;

My comment was concerned at the welfare of the child and that her development into adulthood will be retarded due to her hours spent on the skateboard.  I would seriously question the motives and parenting of her parents.  One day in the not too distant future, the girl will wake up and wonder where her childhood and teenage years went to.  She may feel old and past it at twenty years old.  And unable to communicate with others of her age mainly due to not doing what other girls of her age did as a child and teenager.

I feel the same when clicking on an Internet video of a child (and there are hundreds) playing a cello, guitar or whatever to a very high standard.  I never think 'a great future is in front of you' but why take away a child's 'play years.  Again his/her parents have a lot to answer for.  The number of child prodigies that go on to make it big is small.  About the same as golfers who make it on the major golf tours.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Rocker said:
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;

My comment was concerned at the welfare of the child and that her development into adulthood will be retarded due to her hours spent on the skateboard.  I would seriously question the motives and parenting of her parents.  One day in the not too distant future, the girl will wake up and wonder where her childhood and teenage years went to.  She may feel old and past it at twenty years old.  And unable to communicate with others of her age mainly due to not doing what other girls of her age did as a child and teenager.

I feel the same when clicking on an Internet video of a child (and there are hundreds) playing a cello, guitar or whatever to a very high standard.  I never think 'a great future is in front of you' but why take away a child's 'play years.  Again his/her parents have a lot to answer for.  The number of child prodigies that go on to make it big is small.  About the same as golfers who make it on the major golf tours.

What a bizzare worldview to have!

You think children who dedicate themselves to something are bound to a life of regret and isolation? There's no doubt in my mind that the majority of children who can pull this sort of thing off - finding a hobby, excelling at it, and having experiences beyond the 'normal' interactions of a child who has none of that - are going to be far better off than those that can't.

I know there's the odd example of pushy parents that impinge on a child's quality of life (in fact that might be the plight of every parent in one way or another) but to assume anything other than the mundane average is concerning seems very strange to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12387
    Rocker said:
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;

Of course you could look at it from the other point of view: how many 13 year olds get to compete in the biggest competition in the world? AND win a medal? She’s just proved she’s one of the top three in her sport. I don’t think she’ll regret one moment. 

I would say from her interviews that Sky Brown is a happy well balanced kid who’s having a ball right now. The group of girls she’s competing against seem to be a tight knit bunch who all support each other…. Sky herself was going up to each and every one of them after their runs, either congratulating or commiserating with them. That sounds like a well rounded, emotionally sensitive kid to me, not someone who can’t communicate with her peers. 

Is she being pressured into performing by her parents? Obviously I don’t know her but I don’t see any evidence of it from her interviews. 

She’s already said she can’t wait to go to Paris in 2024 and wants to compete in the surfing as well as skateboard, which might have a few logistical problems as the surfing is in Tahiti. I wouldn’t put it past her though, what an amazing kid. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited August 2021
    Rocker said:
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;;;;

Yeah she shouldn't be spending her teenage years skateboarding, she should spend it doing something normal teenagers do like Ummm skateboarding. 

I can not believe how mental this place can be sometime. These young girls are pioneers in their chosen field, they will go on to live a life most of us can only dream of, with friends for life and experiences beyond our imaginations. 

Is it any different to sitting in your bedroom learning to play Vanhalen covers, playing video games or watching tictok.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12387
    fob said:
    Rocker said:
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;

What a bizzare worldview to have!

You think children who dedicate themselves to something are bound to a life of regret and isolation? There's no doubt in my mind that the majority of children who can pull this sort of thing off - finding a hobby, excelling at it, and having experiences beyond the 'normal' interactions of a child who has none of that - are going to be far better off than those that can't.

I know there's the odd example of pushy parents that impinge on a child's quality of life (in fact that might be the plight of every parent in one way or another) but to assume anything other than the mundane average is concerning seems very strange to me.
    Yup, I agree. 
  • It could be worse, she could be spending all that time playing guitar!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It could be worse, she could be spending all that time playing guitar!

Then she could discover the true meaning of stunted growth in to adulthood and a wasted youth.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7809
    Rocker said:
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;

That’s a very narrow viewpoint that assumes child years are good for everyone. It also does not recognize that Lots of countries and cultures do not push “play” years in the way the west does.

There is definitely a well being fine line and you have to wonder about the also rans, so ensuring education and career options can be maintained must be essential.

but ultimately, this is sport. If you are good enough, you should be able to compete , otherwise the competition is worthless.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2927
    Watched the climbing earlier today, both the speed claiming and the technical.  Very interesting and the strength in those chaps fingers must be immense.

Also caught highlights of the Karate.  Wasn't what I was expecting.  Ladies grunting and waving their arms.  The blokes fight was more lively.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    Also caught highlights of the Karate.  Wasn't what I was expecting.  Ladies grunting and waving their arms.  The blokes fight was more lively.
    Was that the two different disciplines?  Kata - the solo demonstration - and kumite - the actual fighting.  I only learned that today, and now they're ditching it for the next Olympics.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2927
    Yes, I suspect thats right, though again as with most for these new sports there is no explanation.  The Kata demonstration looked interesting but I had no clue what was going on or why.   

I think each host country has a number of local demonstration events, its probable that Karate was one of these.

tFB Trader
    Excellent - well done Katie + Laura - Exciting to watch and such a dominant performance 
    tFB Trader
    0.01 second away from a gold medal in the 4x100 - so close 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    Done over by Italy in a final for the second time this year
    edited August 2021 tFB Trader
    the_jaffa said:
    They got the full grand slam - 4 x100, 100M, High Jump, Euros and Eurovision - Never accomplished by 1 nation in the same year - Ever 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    the_jaffa said:
    They got the full grand slam - 4 x100, 100M, High Jump, Euros and Eurovision - Never accomplished by 1 nation in the same year - Ever 
    And they make the best pizzas too.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I enjoyed the post medal interview with the pole vaulter - 'my career has had it's ups and downs.'   

Seen lots of women’s climbing. Quite an amazing thing to me. One of those unexpected delights of the Olympics- something I’d never normally have any interest in. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Rocker said:
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;

What the fuck is actually wrong with you???

Bye!