Tokyo Olympics

What's Hot
191011121315»

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3857
    sev112 said:
    Football free kicks really p me off.  They are just to the advantage of the fouling team more often than not.
    Yep. A bug bear of mine too. They should be allowed to take a quick one every time, not have to wait until the fouling team has set their wall up nicely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    joneve said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Also caught highlights of the Karate.  Wasn't what I was expecting.  Ladies grunting and waving their arms.  The blokes fight was more lively.
    Was that the two different disciplines?  Kata - the solo demonstration - and kumite - the actual fighting.  I only learned that today, and now they're ditching it for the next Olympics.
    Thank Christ. How something like Kata gets the nod for the Olympics but something like Netball doesn’t is beyond me. 
    Probably because, globally, Karate absolutely eclipses Netball. Very few people outside of a select number of commonwealth countries know what netball is.
    I think karate kata is certain to get a mixed reaction when included in a multi-discipline sporting event like the Olympics. Practitioners of karate will appreciate the extreme skill that is shown in executing a strict sequence of movements. At the other end of the scale there will be members of the general public who see it as thumpingrug does. Think of it in terms of any member of this forum who goes to see a band and is highly impressed with its guitar player when most the audience doesn't give a shit.

It might have helped if the purpose of kata had been explained but even then it is probably best kept to karate tournaments.

Hopefully karate kumite might have an Olympic future as I found it more convincing than this year's taikwondo which seems to have become fencing-with-feet.
    Absolutely this. 

I don't disagree about Karate being globally more popular than Netball; Kumite should have as much place in the Olympics as Judo and/or Taekwondo (which, I agree is the "wrong" kind being included and is essentially just fencing with feet; great analogy), but Kata was basically angry rhythmic gymnastics without the props and more grunting. I'm sure it take a lot of skill to master, but it's really a very niche spectator sport. 

Netball has become more and more popular over the last 10-15 years and is an absolutely fantastic spectator sport. I understand the argument about team sports being a logistical nightmare, but they could easily get rid of football and save fucking LOADS of time and resources here. 

the Olympics should be the pinnacle of any sport, but with Football it absolutely isn't, so should be nowhere near it. 
    Just my opinion but I think Netball is a rubbish spectator sport. The fixed roles/position and the distance rule just kill it for me. Its like basketball but with all excitement removed. 

Would happily bin football from the Olympics mind. 

I used to think this. But if you watch it at high level it’s really fucking good. Granted, I’ve watched a lot as my wife plays at a high level and it’s basically religion in our household but the elite players are unbelievable athletes and considering the “distance rules” and the fact it’s non-contact, it’s the most vicious non-contact sport I’ve ever watched. 
    I've watched my daughter play from U10 and no contact whatsoever and as they progress it gets more acceptable and as you approach 18 and play in senior leagues, then contact is coached into them and as you say not a contact sport - I watch Loughborough Lightning play Saracens 2/3 years ago, a live match, and one player almost body checked another - In football it would be a red card --Rugby a no arm tackle would be a 10 min sin bin - This was just a free kick and re-start with no warning at all

Keeping my Yorkshire flag flying with Cricket, LUFC and the Rhinos at Rugby League, I'm now a Rhinos Netball fan 
    Ha, yep, sounds very familiar. The Gloucestershire league my wife plays in is VERY argey-bargey at times! 

wife watches up to 16 games a week if she can (and when they’re all running at the same time), between the UK Super League, Australian Super League and the Kiwi ANZ Premiership. 

The Australian game is great to watch as they have periods where goals scored within last 5 mins of each quarter and on the perimeter of the circle, are worth 2 points so it makes for some epic finishes. Plus there’s loads of the English girls playing out there now so it’s great to follow them (and I have a soft spot for Jo Harten and Geva Mentor) 

was really great to have all games of the super league shown this season. sky sports have really stepped up and backed netball to increase exposure. We’re a Bath household, given our geographical location and the fact Serena Guthrie is an absolutely insane athlete. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom