Tokyo Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    edited August 2021
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    axisus said:
    Just to pitch in on the women's Pentathlon. I didn't see the incident with the horse, and yeah, OTT whipping and punching a horse are very very bad, but .... we are talking about a sportswoman at the top of her sport, working bloody hard for years for this event, only to be denied any hope because she was given a horse that would not jump. Personally I think that it's outrageous supplying a horse that is not functional. It had failed for a previous rider so why was it still included in the elite pool? It's a cruel way to have your dreams dashed. 
    Just for clarification. You are aware that it was the coach not the rider who hit the horse?

There are questions to be asked why the horse wasn't withdrawn. It is an animal though, so describing it as not functional, as though it was a broken piece of equipment isn't really helpful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2929
    axisus said:
    She had the option to request a replacement. 
    It's nothing like as simple as that. To my mind your opinion is that of a typical armchair viewer who has literally no comprehension of the work that goes into any elite level sportsman/woman. 
    I know that punching a distressed horse is wrong.  Nothing else matters in this case.

Kilgore said:

There are questions to be asked why the horse wasn't withdrawn. It is an animal though, so describing it as not functional, as though it was a broken piece of equipment isn't really helpful. 
    Good point. I accept it as a poor choice of words and apologise, although admittedly throwing comments up on a forum rarely involves my most considered thoughts!

I would say that the fault here lies squarely with those that organised the event plus current rules, and not the horse. My understanding is that they are considering rule changes for the wellbeing of the horses - and not from unacceptable punching/whipping, but from the point of view that they are given to a rider with just 20 minutes notice then told to perform.
  • axisus said:
    Just to pitch in on the women's Pentathlon. I didn't see the incident with the horse, and yeah, OTT whipping and punching a horse are very very bad, but .... we are talking about a sportswoman at the top of her sport, working bloody hard for years for this event, only to be denied any hope because she was given a horse that would not jump. 
    Here's a thought, maybe the horse refused to jump because the rider made an arse of it? 

I'm definitely not an expert but despite reading quite a lot about this in the last few days I've yet to see a comment from anyone with an interest in equestrianism or experience in modern pentathlon that seems to think the problem was the horse. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    edited August 2021
    axisus said:
    It's nothing like as simple as that. To my mind your opinion is that of a typical armchair viewer who has literally no comprehension of the work that goes into any elite level sportsman/woman. 
    I know that punching a distressed horse is wrong.  Nothing else matters in this case.

She was aware that the horse had been jumpy before with another rider and did have the simple option of requesting another - that's built into the sport's rules for a reason.

Typical armchair viewers like me might think it's unfair but riding an unfamiliar horse is one of the tenets of its inclusion. I suppose no different to two, equally capable, long jumpers having to take their turn at a strong positive/negative wind speed. I understand her frustration but doubt she'd refuse her medal if it had happened to someone else.

Like everybody, I was scandalised at hearing the coach had punched the horse - until I saw it. I'd envisioned something like the scene out of Blazing Saddles; turns out the horse would be more disturbed by riders simply mounting and dismounting. Not cool and she shouldn't have done it but I've seen riders pat the horse's neck in congratulation harder than that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    Nice to see the medals are made from recycled mobile phones, good on ya Japan.
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Jason Kenny in the Kieran - Absolutely brilliant!

Great Britain is amazing, for a small place we punch well above our weight in sports. Incredible to think that Atlanta 1996 we had just 1 gold and 15 medals in total, but the past 4 Olympics we have had 51, 65, 67 and 65 medals
    National Lottery funding for elite sport started in 1997. 

I don't always agree with what they fund --- I'd like to see more prioritisation of funding for participation sports --- but it was a bloody great decision by John Major thats paid dividends for a long time now. 

I read that in 1995 the UK spent approx £5m on Olympic sports. In the last twelve months the equivalent figure is £345m ! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    edited August 2021
    axisus said:

Great Britain is amazing, for a small place we punch well above our weight in sports. Incredible to think that Atlanta 1996 we had just 1 gold and 15 medals in total, but the past 4 Olympics we have had 51, 65, 67 and 65 medals

I don't always agree with what they fund --- I'd like to see more prioritisation of funding for participation sports --- but it was a bloody great decision by John Major thats paid dividends for a long time now. 

I read that in 1995 the UK spent approx £5m on Olympic sports. In the last twelve months the equivalent figure is £345m ! 
    I agree that we do punch above our weight in sports, but the "small country" thing is a bit of a myth that we're fed our whole lives.  Of course GB/UK is a small land mass, but when you look at the list of populations by country, we're only just outside the world top 20.  And we're a very wealthy nation - many of the huge countries in the top 20 have vast numbers of people living in poverty.

When I think back to Olympics decades ago, the likes of France, Italy and Germany (East and West) did far better than they do now.  We've certainly moved well ahead of that peer group, having previously been massively underperforming. 

Australia, New Zealand and the Netherlands also punch well above their weight, they're much smaller than GB.
  • Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:

I agree that we do punch above our weight in sports, but the "small country" thing is a bit of a myth that we're fed our whole lives.  Of course GB/UK is a small land mass, but when you look at the list of populations by country, we're only just outside the world top 20.  And we're a very wealthy nation - many of the huge countries in the top 20 have vast numbers of people living in poverty.

Indeed. I was quite surprised to learn yesterday that until 2021 India had never won an athletics gold medal. That sent me down a google rabbit hole - despite a population of 1 billion India have only won about 35 summer games medals in total. We spend about three times what they do on Olympic sports, which is hardly surprising I guess given the relative poverty of each population.  

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    axisus said:

Aye, funny enough I'm sat here drinking tea after taking my son out on his horse, due to the high winds today she (the horse) was a bit on edge, so my son calmed her and talked to her, rather than punching. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    Hey @thumpingrug ;

I posted that, then thought it was too much of an arsey comment so I came back and deleted it. It looks like you jumped in before I did the deed! Thus I feel forced to apologise - I apologise for my arsey comment. 

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2929
    axisus said:
    axisus said:
    Hey @thumpingrug ;

I posted that, then thought it was too much of an arsey comment so I came back and deleted it. It looks like you jumped in before I did the deed! Thus I feel forced to apologise - I apologise for my arsey comment. 

Accepted. 

I will admit that I am indeed a armchair viewer of most sports that I watch ( not that many to be fair), but I did do a bit of climbing in my youth so understand the level of fitness needed, and commitment to maintain it required to climb at those sort of extremes.  Working down here in Dorset I also know a few people on the fringes of the UK sailing and Windsurfing squad and see them train all year round in some of the foulest weather, just for the chance to be considered for selection.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Rocker said:
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;

My comment was concerned at the welfare of the child and that her development into adulthood will be retarded due to her hours spent on the skateboard.  I would seriously question the motives and parenting of her parents.  One day in the not too distant future, the girl will wake up and wonder where her childhood and teenage years went to.  She may feel old and past it at twenty years old.  And unable to communicate with others of her age mainly due to not doing what other girls of her age did as a child and teenager.

I feel the same when clicking on an Internet video of a child (and there are hundreds) playing a cello, guitar or whatever to a very high standard.  I never think 'a great future is in front of you' but why take away a child's 'play years.  Again his/her parents have a lot to answer for.  The number of child prodigies that go on to make it big is small.  About the same as golfers who make it on the major golf tours.
    What the fuck is actually wrong with you???

I refuse to apologise for showing concern with the welfare of children.  I hope the child alluded to keeps well and continues to enjoy life.  I have always believed that it is the responsibility of adults to circle the wagons as it were, and protect the young.  Sadly in this particular case, the National Olympic Committee and her parents failed in this regard.  I hope she does not suffer long term effects resulting from this negligence.

Your response (to my post) @WiresDreamDisasters reads as pathetic.  I invite you to re-read my posts on this subject and point out where you think I am wrong.  Otherwise you merely look like a keyboard warrior that has not the vocabulary to articulate what you feel.  I am interested in your views on this as "What the fuck is actually wrong with you???" only confirms my suspicions that you are a keyboard warrior ....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14308
    tFB Trader
    I was not planning on getting to excited about these Olympics - No fans - time zone - Not really sure who some of our 'stars might be' let alone some of the global stars might be - Thought it appeared to be somewhat low key before the start

How wrong - Some great events, with success for GB and the world - Enjoyed many events and many great moments - Did tend to watch a lot of via the iplayer and/or Eurosports hi-lights but thoroughly enjoyed it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    And that's that.  God, I love the Olympics.  I did shed a tear at the end of the last highlights programme.  Still, only three years to Paris, although it's depressing to think I'll be 60 by then.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Philly_Q said:
    Also caught highlights of the Karate.  Wasn't what I was expecting.  Ladies grunting and waving their arms.  The blokes fight was more lively.
    Was that the two different disciplines?  Kata - the solo demonstration - and kumite - the actual fighting.  I only learned that today, and now they're ditching it for the next Olympics.
    Thank Christ. How something like Kata gets the nod for the Olympics but something like Netball doesn’t is beyond me. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14308
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    And that's that.  God, I love the Olympics.  I did shed a tear at the end of the last highlights programme.  Still, only three years to Paris, although it's depressing to think I'll be 60 by then.
    beat you - I'll be 64

Makes you wonder about visiting Paris for 2024 - I'd pick cycling for tickets if I could - But I recall it was tough to get tickets in a lottery/ballot for London, so will probably harder for Paris - Plus prices will be sky high - So I dare say home and Eurosport viewing will be simpler 
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    edited August 2021
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    @Fasteddie
    @boogieman ;;;;;;

My comment was concerned at the welfare of the child and that her development into adulthood will be retarded due to her hours spent on the skateboard.  I would seriously question the motives and parenting of her parents.  One day in the not too distant future, the girl will wake up and wonder where her childhood and teenage years went to.  She may feel old and past it at twenty years old.  And unable to communicate with others of her age mainly due to not doing what other girls of her age did as a child and teenager.

I feel the same when clicking on an Internet video of a child (and there are hundreds) playing a cello, guitar or whatever to a very high standard.  I never think 'a great future is in front of you' but why take away a child's 'play years.  Again his/her parents have a lot to answer for.  The number of child prodigies that go on to make it big is small.  About the same as golfers who make it on the major golf tours.
    What the fuck is actually wrong with you???

I refuse to apologise for showing concern with the welfare of children.  I hope the child alluded to keeps well and continues to enjoy life.  I have always believed that it is the responsibility of adults to circle the wagons as it were, and protect the young.  Sadly in this particular case, the National Olympic Committee and her parents failed in this regard.  I hope she does not suffer long term effects resulting from this negligence.

Your response (to my post) @WiresDreamDisasters reads as pathetic.  I invite you to re-read my posts on this subject and point out where you think I am wrong.  Otherwise you merely look like a keyboard warrior that has not the vocabulary to articulate what you feel.  I am interested in your views on this as "What the fuck is actually wrong with you???" only confirms my suspicions that you are a keyboard warrior ....
    As a parent I have to disagree on the welfare angle of spending time skating. Surely you can’t believe spending all her time locked up in her bedroom watching Tiktok videos is a better alternative? At it’s heart most sport is play, and that’s what kids should be doing. Those young women skating looked like they were living their absolute best lives.

However, I do feel that this whole extreme sports culture is a bit of a meat grinder for young bodies, with riders pushing the boundaries more and more. Certainly most freestyle bmx/mx riders will have broken multiple bones by the time they reach their late 20s (check out Travis Pastrana’s injury list) and as they get older it’s going to catch up with them. And that’s just the well known ones, there must be thousands of kids who have to drop out after serious injury you never hear about.
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    This is very true, I was having snowboard lessons from a young chap that had been part of the "circuit" for a few years and was an olympic hopeful. a series of unfortunate injuries basically put paid to that with ruined ankles and knees. he wasn't even 25.