What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• MrsTheWeary and I , when she was still MsNotYetWeary, rented The Commitments on VHS and had to go to her parents house to watch it as she didn't have a player. I later read the book, it's a very, very short book. Happy days.

Philly_Q said:
    Just this week I watched, for the first time......: The Commitments
    Not by any means a bad film, but it is the thing that first made me aware of the horror that is "Mustang Sally"....  

And looking at the soundtrack listing, I don't think I could bear to watch it now after hearing so many of those songs tortured and murdered on the X Factor, BGT etc for the last 15 years.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw Rogue One tonight - properly good.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    Just watched Train to Busan bloody brilliant Korean zombie on steroids film.

Weirdly I saw it recommended by Stephen King on FB
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Martian. 

No surprises as I've read the book. Edit out the (small amount of) swearing and it's tea time viewing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3098
    Thoroughly enjoyed Saving Mr Banks last night, class acting from Emma Thompson, pure class...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    Thoroughly enjoyed Saving Mr Banks last night, class acting from Emma Thompson, pure class...
    Saw that at the pictures. very good fillum. makes you see the mary poppins film in a new light.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24649
    Sully.  A film starring Tom Hanks, directed by Eastwood about US Air 1547 that ditched in the Hudson river.

I'll never see Eastwood's name as director and think "Ooh, this'll be good" again.  Tom put in a good performance but in so many respects the film was just shit.  Overacting by everyone, technical errors and a laughably bad, oversimplified climax.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Sully.  A film starring Tom Hanks, directed by Eastwood about US Air 1547 that ditched in the Hudson river.

I'll never see Eastwood's name as director and think "Ooh, this'll be good" again.  Tom put in a good performance but in so many respects the film was just shit.  Overacting by everyone, technical errors and a laughably bad, oversimplified climax.
    Have to disagree mate. It's one of those films you rarely see anymore. Packed with emotions and unbelievably story to start with - luckily without unnecessary special effects. Hanks was great and it was a nice change after Bourne I've seen prior to that (and arguably one of the worst movies ever).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

I wanted to take the kids to Rogue One, but this came out first so logically they wanted to see it first in case it comes to the end of the cinema run (can't fault them for that, actually) - didn't have enough time before Christmas.

Now… I cannot be bothered with Harry Potter. I even took them to the film studios earlier this year, and although impressive and interesting to see the sheer amount of work and creativity, it still left me completely cold. So I wasn't expecting to like this.

But I did. Perhaps because it seemed to have a lot more in common with Ghostbusters than Harry Potter, perhaps because Eddie Redmayne is brilliant, perhaps because both the female leads… never mind :). Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It's not perfect - some of the characters are a bit too typically predictable, and some of the magic-y stuff is as usual a bit too convenient as a way to solve plot problems, but it's visually impressive and pretty well done really.

A solid 8/10.

I know you all know this from months ago ;). I'm just a bit slow!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Passengers.
    I don't understand the critic reviews - excellent film- 8/10.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited December 2016
    Tone71 said:
    Just watched Train to Busan bloody brilliant Korean zombie on steroids film.

Weirdly I saw it recommended by Stephen King on FB
    How did you see this? I am desperate to see it...
    I also want to see that new evil dead show..
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited December 2016
    Whiplash. 
    I'm not sure that I really engaged with it but I can see it in terms of performance and film making as something above the norm. 
    Great film! Potent enough to watch just once a decade. 

Man... If I posted every time I watched a film that'd be about once a day lol..
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844
    Finally saw Fantastic Beasts.

Loved it. Far better than the Potter films, and I liked a lot of those. Redmayne was superb.

I just wish that cinemas showed proper info, like when I were a lad. Doors open time. Programme time. Film start time.

I hate sitting through 40 mins of shit before it starts.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Finally saw Fantastic Beasts.

Loved it. Far better than the Potter films, and I liked a lot of those. Redmayne was superb.

I just wish that cinemas showed proper info, like when I were a lad. Doors open time. Programme time. Film start time.

You need to turn up 40 minutes after the program starts.  Seeemples

Then you get crap seats.

Although showing up first is also sometimes bad, because then the outsize noisy buggers who turn up after the main film has actually started come ad sit right in front of you.

So best seems to be to time it just right so you can find a suitable row directly behind someone small and quiet. But that's tricky...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Then you get crap seats.

Although showing up first is also sometimes bad, because then the outsize noisy buggers who turn up after the main film has actually started come ad sit right in front of you.

So best seems to be to time it just right so you can find a suitable row directly behind someone small and quiet. But that's tricky...
    I don't get crap seat: I book seats.  Being organised is not a sin. :P
    Handsome_Chris said:

The only ones you can book at the place I go cost more. So I don't.

To be fair, the best strategy is still to not book, and turn up early - because that way you get the front row in the unreserved seats, which is the best row in the entire cinema (the reserved ones are slightly too close), and you're still unlikely to get any big buggers in front of you. So they just sit behind you and drop popcorn on you…

Still, I love the actual experience of seeing a film on the big screen so I'm just being grumpy for the fun of it really :).

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    paulnb57 said:
    Just watched it. Excellent film. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    ICBM said:

Then you get crap seats.

I went to a cinema the other week where the premium seats actually reclined to almost horizontal.
    It has ruined other cinemas for me.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844
    Our Cineworld only has seat booking.

I booked the Star Seats- big comfy chairs. A fekking rip off but very comfy.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd