What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27117
    Detective Pikachu

Utterly predictable, but fun enough and plenty of genuine laughs. Really impressive CGI in a lot of places, and lots of bits filmed around Liverpool St but pretending to be Pokemon-land, which was quite entertaining as someone who used to drink round there regularly.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    I watched BlacKkKlansman last night. I’d give it a solid 8.5/10. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    tony99 said:
    I haven't seen Free Solo yet, I know I'll love it but the perfect pre-cursor would be (I presume) Valley Uprising; basically a fascinating and very well structured history of the various generations of climbers who've tested themselves against the challenging peaks within Yosemite. Always going one better than the previous guy/girl, some of the characters are very interesting and their rivalries bitter. 

8 crampons outta 10, Well worth a look.
    for anyone who's arsed, Free Solo is on tonight on channel 4 at 9pm
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    John Wick 3, can't argue with the (many) amazingly choreographed fight scenes, the locations and Halle Berry is still worth a squirt, 3 cracking dogs, but, what a load of old bollocks........

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    paulnb57 said:
    John Wick 3, can't argue with the (many) amazingly choreographed fight scenes, the locations and Halle Berry is still worth a squirt, 3 cracking dogs, but, what a load of old bollocks........

Same as 1 and 2 then.  :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    THX 1138.
    It's the first George Lucas film I've watched and I quite enjoyed it but not enough to watch his following films.
    I thought it was a lot more relevant than something simplistic like Star Wars could be.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    Aquaman
    I know this was a success and got better reviews than most DC efforts, but I thought it was pretty weak apart from a couple of decent action scenes and a few impressive images amongst the mostly-ropey CGI.  They've tried to make it more lighthearted than Justice League, Man of Steel etc but most of the laugh-out-loud moments are unintentional.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Sully. Clint Eastwood directing Tom Hanks as the pilot who was forced to ditch a commercial jet into the Hudson River. What’s not to like. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27117
    Sassafras said:
    THX 1138.
    It's the first George Lucas film I've watched and I quite enjoyed it but not enough to watch his following films.
    I thought it was a lot more relevant than something simplistic like Star Wars could be.
    You know much his later work is generally better regarded, right? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    Sassafras said:
    THX 1138.
    American Graffiti?
    Sassafras said:
    THX 1138.
    I saw bits of a Star Wars film where some kid was racing these big jet engines harnessed together. I though it was boring rubbish. I may have fallen asleep halfway through.
    THX was more art house than mega Hollywood blockbuster and it had something to say rather than just mindless big budget entertainment.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24406
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:
    THX 1138.
    I saw bits of a Star Wars film where some kid was racing these big jet engines harnessed together. I though it was boring rubbish. I may have fallen asleep halfway through.
    THX was more art house than mega Hollywood blockbuster and it had something to say rather than just mindless big budget entertainment.
    The one you saw a bit of was "The Phantom Menace" and it is awful.

The original 1977 Star Wars is excellent (and it is surpassed by Empire Strikes back, but Lucas didn't direct that)
    Finally saw Avengers Endgame.

Very nice ending to that phase. Thought it was well done and sufficiently different in tone to Infinity War to not really make it feel like 1 film released in 2 halves.

The trailer for the new Spiderman looked underwhelming though.
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited May 2019
    Mascots on Netflix. Directed by Christopher Guest (aka Spinal Tap's Nigel Tufnel). This is the latest in a great run of comedies from Guest, again involving his regular cast of actors and collaborators. His previous films 'Best in Show' (set around the world of dog shows) and 'A Mighty Wind' (folk music reunion concert) are two of my all-time favourites.

Road House starring Patrick Swaysey and a cast of generic rednecks.

A tai-chi expert with a mullet is given the well paid task of clearing up a bar in small town America. Little does he know that not only is he is expected to clean the place, but he also has to deal with a rather irksome collection of local n'er do wells, due to whom, things get stabby.

(Look out for a cameo turn as Patrick's biker friend Wayne turns up to help. He is an actor who looks like you may know him from lots of other films but actually you don't, which is fucking annoying)

7 sleeveless Levis shirts out of 10.
    tony99 said:

A tai-chi expert with a mullet is given the well paid task of clearing up a bar in small town America. Little does he know that not only is he is expected to clean the place, but he also has to deal with a rather irksome collection of local n'er do wells, due to whom, things get stabby.

(Look out for a cameo turn as Patrick's biker friend Wayne turns up to help. He is an actor who looks like you may know him from lots of other films but actually you don't, which is fucking annoying)

Wade, not Wayne.

And it's obviously Sam Elliott!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The Day of the Jackal.
    I'd forgotten how good this film was. Last time I saw it was on a tiny B&W telly, it was good then and it's even better on a big plasma screen.
    A great story told in a succinct but nicely detailed way without encumbering it with the sludgy melodramatic sentimentality that many Hollywood films are so fond of.
    10/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Re-watched For a Few Dollars More and The Good the Bad and the Ugly.
    Lee Van Cleef absolutely steals the show. What a criminally underused actor he was.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    edited May 2019
    off to see 'Rocketman' in a couple of hours, but thoroughly enjoyed 'The Shape of Water' - it was different
    tony99 said:

Wade, not Wayne.

And it's obviously Sam Elliott!
    Well who the frig is Sam Elliot?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom