What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    Road House starring Patrick Swaysey and a cast of generic rednecks.

A tai-chi expert with a mullet is given the well paid task of clearing up a bar in small town America. Little does he know that not only is he is expected to clean the place, but he also has to deal with a rather irksome collection of local n'er do wells, due to whom, things get stabby.

(Look out for a cameo turn as Patrick's biker friend Wayne turns up to help. He is an actor who looks like you may know him from lots of other films but actually you don't, which is fucking annoying)

7 sleeveless Levis shirts out of 10.
    Wade, not Wayne.

And it's obviously Sam Elliott!
    Well who the frig is Sam Elliot?
    We watched Roadhouse again recently, and took me ages to remember what i’d seen him in recently (which was A Star is Born). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    tony99 said: 
    Oh come on.  Sam Elliott is the owner of Hollywood's finest moustache.

He's a bit like Samson, he loses all his powers if he shaves it off.

Related image
    Related image
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

A tai-chi expert with a mullet is given the well paid task of clearing up a bar in small town America. Little does he know that not only is he is expected to clean the place, but he also has to deal with a rather irksome collection of local n'er do wells, due to whom, things get stabby.

(Look out for a cameo turn as Patrick's biker friend Wayne turns up to help. He is an actor who looks like you may know him from lots of other films but actually you don't, which is fucking annoying)

Wade, not Wayne.

He's got 101 acting credits all the way back to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid!!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Sassafras said:
    The Day of the Jackal.
    I'd forgotten how good this film was. Last time I saw it was on a tiny B&W telly, it was good then and it's even better on a big plasma screen.
    A great story told in a succinct but nicely detailed way without encumbering it with the sludgy melodramatic sentimentality that many Hollywood films are so fond of.
    10/10
    It is, but there's one tiny, tiny detail which has always annoyed me and makes it only a 9.9/10 for me...

As de Gaulle bends down, his first bullet ricochets off the ground and no-one even notices.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited May 2019
    Finally got round to watching Hereditary:

Decent acting
    Good cinematography, especially the wide shots and the pulls from/into the miniatures

Scariest film since The Exorcist?  No
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    The Day of the Jackal.
    I'd forgotten how good this film was. Last time I saw it was on a tiny B&W telly, it was good then and it's even better on a big plasma screen.
    A great story told in a succinct but nicely detailed way without encumbering it with the sludgy melodramatic sentimentality that many Hollywood films are so fond of.
    10/10
    It is, but there's one tiny, tiny detail which has always annoyed me and makes it only a 9.9/10 for me...

As de Gaulle bends down, his first bullet ricochets off the ground and no-one even notices.
    You must love watching Bond films  :)
    Sassafras said:

Bond films don't really count, since there's an element of fantasy in all of them, apart from From Russia With Love and possibly Thunderball - but The Day Of The Jackal is supposed to be, and almost is, totally realistic. That's why that one detail is so annoying. Doing it right wouldn't have changed the plot in any way either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:

Bond films don't really count, since there's an element of fantasy in all of them, apart from From Russia With Love and possibly Thunderball - but The Day Of The Jackal is supposed to be, and almost is, totally realistic. That's why that one detail is so annoying. Doing it right wouldn't have changed the plot in any way either.
    I agree but the bit that most rankled with me was how easily he managed to kill people with just a limp karate chop or a light twist of their neck. I'm sure it's not that easy.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Wade, not Wayne.

He's got 101 acting credits all the way back to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid!!

Oh ok I love that film, is he in that? I didn't know he was in that, what does he play a FUCKING CACTUS??? HEY?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    The Day of the Jackal.
    10/10

Been a few years since I’ve watched it, but I seem to remember the bullet going into the tarmac.
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    The Day of the Jackal.
    10/10

Been a few years since I’ve watched it, but I seem to remember the bullet going into the tarmac.
    It hit the hard cobblestones and because it had a mercury filled head it sort of disintegrated with a clearly visible puff. The crowd must've been hoping that the second bullet wouldn't miss.
    Worse was getting a watermelon to play Charles de Gaulle
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Roadhouse is fucking awesome. Has nearly every action movie cliche under the sun but is such a fun watch. Plus it has Terry Funk and Sam Elliott.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Breath

Set in Australia, two teenage boys meet an older surfer. Coming of age stuff. Not a lot happens, not a lot needs to. I quite enjoyed it. 7.5/10
    Paths Of Glory

Kirk Douglas in Stanley Kubrick's early WWI film.

Very powerful - and very carefully and effectively directed, despite Kubrick's relative inexperience. So powerful that MrsICBM, who is normally not very interested in things like this, put her phone down after about ten minutes and watched the film intently all the way through rather than her usual habit of keeping an eye on both when it's something she's not really into...

If I have a criticism it's that the actors playing the generals are a bit stiff and caricatured, especially compared to Douglas, but it doesn't really detract from the overall effectiveness of the story.

9/10

Independence Day - 2

Thought provoking prequel to what is widely considered the greatest film of the 90s.

Aliens, armies, spaceships, tanks, love, betrayal and ultimately ...redemption.

Suffers from a lack of Randy Quaid (what film wouldn't?)

6 alien anal probes out of 10
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Rocket Man

Pretty well done ..... more honest in portrayal, warts and all  than Freddy was in the Bo Rap film. I have more respect for that. I had forgotten how many great songs Elton had too so the musical side worked really well. 

8 out of 10 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    edited May 2019
    tony99 said:
    Independence Day - 2

Thought provoking prequel to what is widely considered the greatest film of the 90s.
    Widely considered in Will Smith's house?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:
    Independence Day - 2

Name a better one Philly.....no exactly
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:
    Independence Day - 2

Name a better one Philly.....no exactly
    If ID was the greatest film of the 90s it must have been a truly awful decade for movies. I like the opening bit with REM playing I guess...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.