What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23583
    Zoolooter said:
    Not a movie, but the new tv drama Too Old to Die Young is superb. It won’t be for everyone as the pace is slow. It’s pretty shocking in parts, not seen anything like it before. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0KO8My-90g
    Never heard of it, but I see it's created by Nicolas Winding Refn, I like most of his films.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    Philly_Q said:
    Zoolooter said:
    Not a movie, but the new tv drama Too Old to Die Young is superb. It won’t be for everyone as the pace is slow. It’s pretty shocking in parts, not seen anything like it before. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0KO8My-90g
    Never heard of it, but I see it's created by Nicolas Winding Refn, I like most of his films.
    This will blow your mind then. 10 episodes 90 mins each.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237
    Maudie currently on Netflix. Incredible performances from Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawks. A very slow burn simple telling of the life of Nova Scotian folk-painter Maud Lewis. Beautifully filmed and both entrancing and heartbreaking in equal measure.
    Brutally honest film making that pulled no punches. I loved it.
    Man what a superb actor Sally Hawkins is, no ego, she completely inhabits her role.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1777
    equalsql said:
    Maudie currently on Netflix. Incredible performances from Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawks. A very slow burn simple telling of the life of Nova Scotian folk-painter Maud Lewis. Beautifully filmed and both entrancing and heartbreaking in equal measure.
    Brutally honest film making that pulled no punches. I loved it.
    Man what a superb actor Sally Hawkins is, no ego, she completely inhabits her role.

Fully agreed.

Seen it months ago due to my friend's recommendation. Beautifully acted and inspiring story.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Apollo 11.

No modern interviews or commentary, just beautiful footage of the mission. A couple of nicely done simple graphics explain a few things, and they add some figures for example the speed of the Saturn V as is climbs into the sky and the amount of fuel left as the eagle lander approaches the moon's surface. Despite knowing the story it's still nail biting stuff.

Brilliant, and certainly worth seeing on the big screen.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Midsommar. I won't say too much in case it's a bit spoilery, but I didn't think it was very good, and I don't really understand the glowing reviews. It builds tension and seems to get interesting, but then just lets it drop and you're left with a fairly obvious plot that plays out in a not-very-interesting way. A few laughs here and there, but not enough to add any charm. 5/10
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    The Favourite

Wow... obviously I knew it had won lots of awards, but I really didn’t expect it to be *this* good. Much blacker and less overtly funny than I had got the impression of from the trailer clips, and much better for it. Olivia Colman is astonishing, a totally deserved Oscar win, and Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz very nearly match her - the interplay between the three of them is brilliant, and the whole thing is slightly twisted and completely mesmerising. 

10/10

The best film I’ve seen for quite some time. Also wins the award for most arty but annoyingly illegible end credits :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Request: anyone who sees The Dead Don't Die please post here as to whether it's any good. We love Jarmusch, and the cast looks great, but the trailer was underwhelming.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237
    edited July 2019
    Alita: Battle Angel. Better than I expected but the usual bad ham acting from some of the side characters, which seems to be a Cameron trait. Visually impressive and generally entertaining apart from a frustrating ending.

The Little Prince. On Netflix. An enchanting, poignant family film mixing different styles of animation. A little gem.

Mortal Engines. Another visually spectacular sci-fi film which even given its fast delivery seems to drag. Worth watching for the effects but generally pretty forgettable. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4298
    daveyh said:
    Last night I watched Conan The Barbarian.

O.M.G.

To call it a pile of shite would offend shite.

I saw that in 85 in an arnie fest at the cinema , it was on before commando 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23583
    goldtop said:
    Request: anyone who sees The Dead Don't Die please post here as to whether it's any good. We love Jarmusch, and the cast looks great, but the trailer was underwhelming.
    I just heard Mark Kermode give a less than glowing, but not totally negative review.  I like a lot of Jarmusch movies, although I wouldn't call myself a massive fan, and I love zombie movies, so it does intrigue me.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12543
    Finally watched a star is born have never seen the predecessors. Good I thought if a bit rushed. 

Missus munckee was inconsolable at the end. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Spiderman: Homecoming on Netflix.
    I loved the original Spidey films but lost interest when they rebooted and made the origin story again. This film is fab though as it deals within high school/teenage stuff rather than mega effects and 20 million bad guys.
    Great performances all round and having the MCU link makes it all the better.
    Gonna have to watch the other ones now!

9/10
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:
    I just heard Mark Kermode give a less than glowing, but not totally negative review.  I like a lot of Jarmusch movies, although I wouldn't call myself a massive fan, and I love zombie movies, so it does intrigue me.
    Thanks. Will wait until it's £3 in FOPP. :)
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1777
    "US".

Well... that was a poor watch.

Group of doppelgangers bully family of 4. Plot holes, barely any sense to the story, acting was ok but characters were poorly written.
    New wave of "black" horror movies? (I believe the same gentleman directed "Get out!" Which was far better movie than this).

3.5/10
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3327
    goldtop said:
    It is not any good
    Thanks - it's now off the must-watch-on-release list.

In other news, we watched If... and A Clockwork Orange this weekend, and were left underwhelmed twice over. Can't blame Malcolm Mcdowell, as he's very watchable, but both are hard to like as movies. I suppose they helped move cinema on, which is why they are still so highly regarded?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    "US".

Well... that was a poor watch.

Group of doppelgangers bully family of 4. Plot holes, barely any sense to the story, acting was ok but characters were poorly written.
    New wave of "black" horror movies? (I believe the same gentleman directed "Get out!" Which was far better movie than this).

3.5/10
    What other recent 'black' horror films are there?  I can't really think of any others aside from Get Out & Us.  I thought Get Out was decent, maybe not equal to the irrational hype it seemed to generate but a good film nonetheless. 
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:
    Chloe Sevigny is in it, which is always a good reason to see a film. 

IMO, the Zom-Com/ Horror Comedies is a very difficult genre to pull off.  Few films manage to capture the pacing required for both genres so there tend to be more misses than hits. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said: 
    Well who the frig is Sam Elliot?
    Just as a suggestion to all, if you get a chance to see Sam Elliot in "The Hero" then do so. It's a wonderful, sad. poignant, funny and thoughtful film. And he's great, which is no surprise. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    goldtop said:
    Thanks - it's now off the must-watch-on-release list.

In other news, we watched If... and A Clockwork Orange this weekend, and were left underwhelmed twice over. Can't blame Malcolm Mcdowell, as he's very watchable, but both are hard to like as movies. I suppose they helped move cinema on, which is why they are still so highly regarded?
    Nostalgia innit? I think I said a few pages back that I’d watched 2001 a Space Odyssey again and it was nothing like as good as I remembered. Clockwork Orange is the same I’d imagine; groundbreaking and shocking in its time but looking very dated now. I saw If donkeys years ago but can’t remember anything about it.