What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    ICBM said:
    The Favourite

Wow... obviously I knew it had won lots of awards, but I really didn’t expect it to be *this* good. Much blacker and less overtly funny than I had got the impression of from the trailer clips, and much better for it. Olivia Colman is astonishing, a totally deserved Oscar win, and Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz very nearly match her - the interplay between the three of them is brilliant, and the whole thing is slightly twisted and completely mesmerising. 

10/10

The best film I’ve seen for quite some time. Also wins the award for most arty but annoyingly illegible end credits :).

Saw it a while back, superb film, just superb
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4185
    Escape plan 3 tonight 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2414
    The Foreigner.

Jackie Chan goes Jackie Chan against the IRA (basically James Bond and Stannis Baratheon). Actually pretty decent action flick.

7/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    The plot is as paper-thin as most superhero movies, but it has a fantastic energy and the animation is quite amazing.  
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6081
    paulnb57 said:
    ICBM said:
    The Favourite

Wow... obviously I knew it had won lots of awards, but I really didn’t expect it to be *this* good. Much blacker and less overtly funny than I had got the impression of from the trailer clips, and much better for it. Olivia Colman is astonishing, a totally deserved Oscar win, and Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz very nearly match her - the interplay between the three of them is brilliant, and the whole thing is slightly twisted and completely mesmerising. 

10/10

The best film I’ve seen for quite some time. Also wins the award for most arty but annoyingly illegible end credits :).

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Favourite. Rachel Weisz's name on a film is usually a mark of quality.

Two movies I caught recently on YouTube -
    First ,The Yellow Canary. Made in 1943 it's a war propaganda thriller, spy movie. It seems to capture the flavour of the time exceptionally well (wasn't there, so I'm guessing obviously!) and there are lots of familiar faces popping up. Well worth a wet Sunday afternoon watch.
    Second is Rogue Male, starring Peter O'Toole. It's a strange film, set just before WW2, but very coherent and O'Toole is fabulous as always. Enjoyable late night watch.
    I just watched a film called Hot Rod (1979)  I have not seen it for about 34 years when my friend recorded it on his mums phillips V2000. VCR . It was just as watchable today as it was then . I really really enjoyed it and would recommend it . Especially if you like car films or , small guy against corporate and corrupt law enforcement type stuff.

heres a link. https://youtu.be/i6ichMKl2IM
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    edited July 2019
    I've been on a bit of a Japanese film kick recently.
    Rashomon: excellent and compelling.
    Kagemusha: impressive, wonderful sets.
    Yojimbo: the forerunner to A Fistful of Dollars, also excellent.
    Seven Samurai: the inspiration for The Magnificent Seven. Excellent.
    13 Assassins: bit disappointing. The battle scenes were strangely unconvincing.
    Audition: Weird and darkly humorous. Enjoyable.
    Battle Royale ll: entertaining but not a patch on the first one.
    Onibaba: my favourite of the lot. Who would've thought a field of swaying long grass could be so entertaining? Bloody brilliant and memorable. I watched some of it again straight after because I thought it was so good.
    Hollywood could learn a lot from the minimalist approach of Japanese filmmakers instead of churning out their instantly forgettable sludgy romanticised big budget pap.

Japanese films are thought provoking and open to interpretation whereas American films do it all for you, there's no challenge. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    I just watched a film called Hot Rod (1979)  I have not seen it for about 34 years when my friend recorded it on his mums phillips V2000. VCR . It was just as watchable today as it was then . I really really enjoyed it and would recommend it . Especially if you like car films or , small guy against corporate and corrupt law enforcement type stuff.
    Interesting... I just watched a film called The Groundstar Conspiracy, which I saw once when I was a teenager about that long ago too. I have no idea what reminded me of it, but I was able to find a downloadable copy recently. It's a typical low-budget 70s (1972) 'thriller', with George Peppard in his middle career as a rather wooden 'action' actor, before The A Team. It's OK - not as good as I remembered, too derivative and predictable, although quite well-shot and reasonably atmospheric. 5/10.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    American Mary.
    It's a scream. One of the funniest horror flicks I've seen for ages.
    Gloriously sick & twisted.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24362
    Secret Obsession 

Netflix.

Nice idea done excruciatingly badly. Terrible leading actress. Awful dialogue.

I’d give it 0.5. Out of 1 trillion.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Interesting... I just watched a film called The Groundstar Conspiracy, which I saw once when I was a teenager about that long ago too. I have no idea what reminded me of it, but I was able to find a downloadable copy recently. It's a typical low-budget 70s (1972) 'thriller', with George Peppard in his middle career as a rather wooden 'action' actor, before The A Team. It's OK - not as good as I remembered, too derivative and predictable, although quite well-shot and reasonably atmospheric. 5/10.
    I’ll look that up outf curiosity

JezWynd said:
    paulnb57 said:
    ICBM said:
    The Favourite

10/10

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Favourite. Rachel Weisz's name on a film is usually a mark of quality.

Two movies I caught recently on YouTube -
    First ,The Yellow Canary. Made in 1943 it's a war propaganda thriller, spy movie. It seems to capture the flavour of the time exceptionally well (wasn't there, so I'm guessing obviously!) and there are lots of familiar faces popping up. Well worth a wet Sunday afternoon watch.
    Second is Rogue Male, starring Peter O'Toole. It's a strange film, set just before WW2, but very coherent and O'Toole is fabulous as always. Enjoyable late night watch.
    Rogue male, I saw that in the 70s with my grandad , it was terrific, I liked how he was living in a little dug out hole hiding from gestapo type baddies and he had a cat he fed tinned fish . He botched a assassination attempt but managed to escape the gestapo types . I could really watch that again 
    I also recently watched again , hysteria  the def leppard story , but I watch that quite a bit as I’m a leppard fan and like bio type music films . 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited July 2019
    Mile 22
     An enjoyable, transport an asset through a city,whose authorities don't want him to leave and divulge a secret, romp, formula stuff, but imteresting use of CC TV and Suveillance Cams to help the plot along. With a predictable twist and great chorography in the fights......On Netflix...

Shaft 2019
    Samuel L reprises the role, only he can really say "Motherfucker"....and he does, a lot!
    Great soundtrack, some laugh out loud moment, utter rubbish really, but really enjoyed it...Nice to see that Richard Rowntree, the original Shaft got to play John Shafts father and got to kick some bottom!  On Netflix

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26626
    Just watched Secret Obsession on Netflix with the wife. It's the dumbest film we've seen in ages. Quite frankly, we were rooting for the bad guy because he was marginally less stupid than the main character, who was so much of an idiot she deserved to die horribly just to spare the human race the indignity of her continuing her genetic line.

So many plot holes that you couldn't really say that the plot really existed, and even less character development (even though they set some up at the beginning). It's honestly like the writers weren't even trying to make it remotely make sense.

Don't bother. It's rare that I give a film 0/10, but this one definitely qualifies.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The Handmaiden (dir. Park Chan-Wook). Gripping psychological drama with a lot of interesting plot developments. Highly recommended
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    edited July 2019
    just giving The Martian another go

Matt Damon battles alien zombies in a chilling battle for survival in this almost Shakespearean sci-fi epic

(only messing, he grows potatoes)
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Me and Mrs P took three grandsons to see Queens Corgi. It was bollocks. The boys didn't make a big thing about thanking us like they've done before, so I assume they thought the same.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24362
    Just watched Secret Obsession on Netflix with the wife. It's the dumbest film we've seen in ages. Quite frankly, we were rooting for the bad guy because he was marginally less stupid than the main character, who was so much of an idiot she deserved to die horribly just to spare the human race the indignity of her continuing her genetic line.

So many plot holes that you couldn't really say that the plot really existed, and even less character development (even though they set some up at the beginning). It's honestly like the writers weren't even trying to make it remotely make sense.

Don't bother. It's rare that I give a film 0/10, but this one definitely qualifies.
    I did warn you! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    The Nun
    It's not really very good and there's almost no plot at all, but it's quite atmospheric, looks good and I've always liked horror movies with religious elements.  Especially when there are nuns involved, although sadly this could hardly be called nunsploitation.

The Vanishing
    Grim, brooding thriller "inspired by true events".  Gerard Butler actually does some proper acting in it.