What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285

Blackfish on Netflix. 

Once again big business showing how morally bankrupt it can be. 

Upsetting to watch but still well worth doing so. 

Will not be visiting Seaworld any time soon. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

Blackfish on Netflix. 

I'm probably not running off to watch that then! I went to Seaworld in San Diego nearly 30 years ago, I hadn't really thought about it before going in and was just generally a bit awe struck with everything but I was with my father, a man with no obvious interest in anything like animal rights at any point in his life, and he found it quite distasteful which is my lasting memory of the place. If there are worse shenanigans behind the scenes not that surprising I guess.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Never seen the appeal of performing animals.
    Taking animals from the wild for our own puerile entertainment has always sickened me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Bronson.

I normally like Winding Refn films but I thought this was rubbish.
    It was too stylish for its own good and just served as a showcase for Tom Hardy.
    It was a film about someone I couldn't care less about. If he wants to stay in prison forever that's his lookout. Some people do find prison life easier than being on the outside.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3495
    Can anyone recommend a damn good sci-fi on Netflix?

I have watched loads recently. Currently going through ST Next Generation and Discovery, but I fancy a few decent films.

Have a look for Hanna, the series, its on Prime, I think its also on NF, brilliant.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1002

Blackfish on Netflix. 

Great film everyone should see. Really opened my eyes to how intelligent whales and dolphins really are. The way humanity treats them is appalling. Please do not visit orca marine parks, or go 'swimming with dolphins' - another very cruel tourist industry. Cetaceans are not here for our entertainment, lets treat them with some respect and leave them alone. Very intelligent creatures.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Sassafras said:
    Bronson.

It was too stylish for its own good and just served as a showcase for Tom Hardy.
    It was a film about someone I couldn't care less about. If he wants to stay in prison forever that's his lookout. Some people do find prison life easier than being on the outside.
    Agreed, but it captured Bronson brilliantly.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Bronson.

Agreed, but it captured Bronson brilliantly.....
    I don't know, I sort of preferred him in Death Wish.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Never seen the appeal of performing animals.
    Taking animals from the wild for our own puerile entertainment has always sickened me.
    Not sure why that deserved a LOL but I suppose there will always be people who want to see an animal wearing a top hat and balancing a ball on its nose.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited August 2019
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - outstanding! Beautiful sets, captures the era to a T. Loved the story, Pitt and Leo work like clockwork together. It’s nostalgic, melancholic, funny, sad, and some violence using a tin of dog food. 

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    John Wick 3. 

Brilliant in it's stupidity. Flying daggers, explosions, dogs&horses and sword fights... Festival of violence. 

Disappointingly I have much preferred first half and the final "showdown" was lacking the crazy weapons use from the first half. 

Poor movie but good entertainment. 

6.225/10
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Zoolooter said:
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - outstanding! Beautiful sets, captures the era to a T. Loved the story, Pitt and Leo work like clockwork together. It’s nostalgic, melancholic, funny, sad, and some violence using a tin of dog food. 

Having just been to Hollywood I really want to see this.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Glad you enjoyed Once Upon a Time In Hollywood.  I found it frustrating perhaps as I can't abide DiCaprio.  It seemed like a series of crap comic sketches between Pitt and Dicaprio and whoever they bumped into, with some shit Bruce Lee slapstick thrown in.

Margot Robbie's role had so much potential if only she had been given some dialogue as I'm not buying her silence says it all.  Her silence says nothing.  

The over the top violence in the end was mildly amusing but the end scene was just naff.  Pitt and DiCaprio were overindulged by Quent was my feeling and the Tait aspect just seemed to be tacked on.

However The Good Boys was awesome

Never Look Away was a 9/10 as well
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    edited August 2019
    Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - brilliant.  Not the usual Tarantino splatter fest, though there are moments.

Spolier Alert !
    I loved the way it leads you to expect the Manson/Sharon Tate murders then veers off

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6081
    edited August 2019
    Glad you enjoyed Once Upon a Time In Hollywood.  I found it frustrating perhaps as I can't abide DiCaprio.  It seemed like a series of crap comic sketches between Pitt and Dicaprio and whoever they bumped into, with some shit Bruce Lee slapstick thrown in.

Margot Robbie's role had so much potential if only she had been given some dialogue as I'm not buying her silence says it all.  Her silence says nothing.  

The over the top violence in the end was mildly amusing but the end scene was just naff.  Pitt and DiCaprio were overindulged by Quent was my feeling and the Tait aspect just seemed to be tacked on.

***Spoiler ahead***

That was the plot of the entire movie! I'd guessed beforehand that this was one of Tarantino's revised history stories, so the ending didn't come as a surprise but I was surprised that after the first meeting at ranch it cut to the finale - I'd thought that the plot would be more enmeshed with Manson family lore.

That said, I liked the film very much. The look (colour saturation, neon colours, freak fashion vs Hollywood sharp) was all very well observed and Leo and Brad are both very fine movie actors who have improved with age.

As for Robbie having little dialogue, that may be because the character she was playing had little to say in real life; she was a bit of an airhead if reports are true and besides, her part was actually quite tangential to the plot, other than being beauty in danger. Damien Lewis as Steve McQueen was a brilliant little cameo.

Notable error: Practically the first shot of the movie had a flaw - the Boeing 747 didn't reach Pan Am until 1970.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

American Made on Netflix.  Good watch, about a pilot who delivers whatever for whoever, gets involved with various government agencies fighting communism in South America, but making the most of the return journey by dropping off merchandise for the medellin cartel.
    Tom Cruise plays the pilot.  7/10
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    JezWynd said:

***Spoiler ahead***

That was the plot of the entire movie! I'd guessed beforehand that this was one of Tarantino's revised history stories, so the ending didn't come as a surprise but I was surprised that after the first meeting at ranch it cut to the finale - I'd thought that the plot would be more enmeshed with Manson family lore.

That said, I liked the film very much. The look (colour saturation, neon colours, freak fashion vs Hollywood sharp) was all very well observed and Leo and Brad are both very fine movie actors who have improved with age.

As for Robbie having little dialogue, that may be because the character she was playing had little to say in real life; she was a bit of an airhead if reports are true and besides, her part was actually quite tangential to the plot, other than being beauty in danger. Damien Lewis as Steve McQueen was a brilliant little cameo.

Notable error: Practically the first shot of the movie had a flaw - the Boeing 747 didn't reach Pan Am until 1970.
    Yep. WIS'd.

Lena Dunham as the Manson Mama too.  The Sharon Tate McGuffin was great - I really was expecting there to be a splatter fest at the end (as it it allegedly was in real life).  Loved the Inglorius Basterds pastiche as The 14 Fists of McCluskey ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited August 2019
    Angel has Fallen - Gerald Butler plays the part of Gerald Butler. Plot full of holes, explosions, and a respectable body count. Kept me entertained for the best part of two hours. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10416
    Once upon a time in Hollywood 

Tarantino's 9th film set in 1969 Hollywood with an all star cast. Might surprise some people, it's not his normal fair but I loved it.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    The Motorcycle Diaries

The young Che Guevara takes a road trip around South America and learns a lot about life which will shape him in the future... quirky and offbeat, well-shot and acted but not amazingly inspiring or revealing. (Whether you think he was a hero or not.)

7/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein