What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Been binge watching David Lynch films all weekend.
    Wild at Heart.
    Inland Empire.
    Mullholland Drive.
    Lost Highway.
    And I've still got Dune to watch later on!
    Understandably, my brains are a bit scrambled after all that weirdness.
    He doesn't so much make films as a succession of pieces of art.
    And he does an atmosphere of dark menace better than any other director.
    I love the way he blends the surreal with the banal so it seems all the more believable and unsurprising.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    ICBM said:
    The Revenant

Leonardo DiCaprio improbably survives in the north American wilderness in winter. Fantastic cinematography, but despite the apparent intensity of DiCaprio's acting and some of the events I found it uninvolving, two-dimensional and predictable.

6/10
    I found it quite boring and I couldn't give a toss about DiCaprio's character.
    The book is a Boy's Own romp and they added elements to the film to try to make it pull on the heartstrings a bit more but they are just tacked on. Lack of confidence that a film of the book would work. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10408
    Sassafras said:
    ICBM said:
    The Revenant

Leonardo DiCaprio improbably survives in the north American wilderness in winter. Fantastic cinematography, but despite the apparent intensity of DiCaprio's acting and some of the events I found it uninvolving, two-dimensional and predictable.

6/10
    I found it quite boring and I couldn't give a toss about DiCaprio's character.

I lasted about an hour before turning off. 

Usually like a good slow burner, but also found it quite boring.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23601
    Sassafras said:
    Wild at Heart.
    Inland Empire.
    Mullholland Drive.
    Lost Highway.
    I love the way he blends the surreal with the banal so it seems all the more believable and unsurprising.

I used to really like David Lynch films but somehow in recent years I've found it hard to muster the energy to watch the new ones (or re-watch the old ones). 

I think sometime I'll go back and watch Eraserhead then see where we go from there.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Wild at Heart.
    Inland Empire.
    Mullholland Drive.
    Lost Highway.

I used to really like David Lynch films but somehow in recent years I've found it hard to muster the energy to watch the new ones (or re-watch the old ones). 

I think sometime I'll go back and watch Eraserhead then see where we go from there.

I saw Eraserhead at the flicks when it first came out.
    I've never seen so many people walk out of a film before. It was like a mass exodus.
    It's probably my least favourite Lynch film. Although it was different to anything I'd seen at the time.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6173
    Sassafras said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Wild at Heart.
    Inland Empire.
    Mullholland Drive.
    Lost Highway.

I've never seen so many people walk out of a film before. It was like a mass exodus.
    It's probably my least favourite Lynch film. Although it was different to anything I'd seen at the time.
    I got into making films after seeing Eraserhead; the idea that an atmosphere so dense and murky could be created on film was inspirational, though I'd already seen Blue Velvet at that point. I've tired of his films in recent years; still haven't managed to sit through Mulholland Drive. Might be partly to do with his overpowering sense of Americana which has worn thin in recent years. One of my favourites is Elephant Man, a film outside his usual oeuvre, which he undertook as Director only and is all the better for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I've told the story before, but I saw Eraserhead on TV when I was at university.  It would've been in the very early days of Channel 4, when they had commercial breaks but no adverts to show in them, so you felt like you were the only person watching.

I had a little radio-cassette player with a 5" black-and-white TV.  The picture was pretty fuzzy and I had to constantly adjust the aerial.  I'd never heard of David Lynch or Eraserhead, but late one night I stumbled into the middle of this thing with a mad-looking big-haired bloke and a mewling alien baby.  I honestly thought I had somehow tuned in to a broadcast from a parallel universe. 

I've never watched it since, I don't think it would be so effective on a big screen.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    bobblehat said:
    American Psycho  - Still cant make my mind up if it was utter crap or really good. 1/10 or maybe 8/10 :)

Liked the book, liked the film. Still undecided if the whole thing was real, or was a fantasy in Bateman's head. Either way, great satire on the materialism of the era etc.

Also thumbs up for recognising the psychopathy of anyone who like Huey Lewis & The News.

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited September 2019
    Watched Aqua man with the wife and that lead us to re watch Batman v Superman (she'd not seen it) and that got us re watching Justice League. There's quite a few continuity errors if you watch Aqua man before Justice league, his eyes for one and the hot red head isn't a red head for another!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27742
    edited September 2019
    I haven't seen the new Tarantino yet but *adored* BR2049. I honestly think it might be better than the original. Very long but definitely not too long, and every single frame is beautiful. I think Gosling is very good in it too, FWIW.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_Q said:

I've told the story before, but I saw Eraserhead on TV when I was at university.  It would've been in the very early days of Channel 4, when they had commercial breaks but no adverts to show in them, so you felt like you were the only person watching.

I had a little radio-cassette player with a 5" black-and-white TV.  The picture was pretty fuzzy and I had to constantly adjust the aerial.  I'd never heard of David Lynch or Eraserhead, but late one night I stumbled into the middle of this thing with a mad-looking big-haired bloke and a mewling alien baby.  I honestly thought I had somehow tuned in to a broadcast from a parallel universe. 

I've never watched it since, I don't think it would be so effective on a big screen.

That sounds truly incredible. 

It reminds me a bit of a horror podcast story I heard a while back.  

How was Fright Fest btw?

Sassafras said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Wild at Heart.
    Inland Empire.
    Mullholland Drive.
    Lost Highway.

I seem to enjoy watching Eraserhead a little more than most of the other Lynch films I've seen, as even though it's relatively more abstract than most films it still seems a bit less abstract than a lot of his other films!  I saw it again around 10 or so years in the cinema for a remastered print and the soundscaping of the film really surprised me, great use of drone and so on. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6173
    earwighoney said:

I seem to enjoy watching Eraserhead a little more than most of the other Lynch films I've seen, as even though it's relatively more abstract than most films it still seems a bit less abstract than a lot of his other films!  I saw it again around 10 or so years in the cinema for a remastered print and the soundscaping of the film really surprised me, great use of drone and so on. 
    Yeah, the soundtrack is a good match for the visuals on that film, very dense. As a result of watching Eraserhead I spent weekends in the Bluebell Line engine sheds recording steam trains on a Nagra. Slowing and looping the tape resulted in some wild ambient tracks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Men in Black: International (2019)
    earwighoney said:
    How was Fright Fest btw?

@earwighoney Pretty good this year.  Nothing absolutely mindbogglingly amazing, but look out for Bliss and Ready Or Not.  The latter is in the vein of You're Next and I would guess it'll get a general release.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7727
    Bad Times At The El Royale - enjoyed it lots. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Dark Phoenix. 

I've gone off all the superhero movies recently as there was too many and some of them I didn't rate highly at all. 

Had no expectations about this title, however - I was pleasantly surprised.  I stopped seeing "Sansa" after a while - which I wasn't prepared for - and let the story flow... I enjoyed it. It has Jessica Chastain in it - which is always a bonus ;-)
    Absolutely great CGI - which, surprisingly, is not always the case - even in this day and age. Battle scenes were great. 

6.225/10
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10540
    Saw 3 films on the plane yesterday flying yo California .

Fisherman Friends, corny and predictable .. nearly switched it off.

Red Sparrow, how the hell is that a rated 15 film .... felt a bit uncomfortable watching torture, rape and such on a plane screen. Not a bad story though

As it was  ... a doc film about Liam Gallagher .... if you like Laim \ Oasis it's enjoyable and interesting  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73043
    Love Is All You Need

Danish/Italian romantic comedy (not usually my first choice genre) with Pierce Brosnan.

Totally predictable plot, the usual cast of clichéd characters, some slightly awkward humour that's actually quite funny, and... I really liked it. What saves it is the acting - Brosnan and especially Trine Dyrholm, who is brilliant.

Realistically 7/10, but I'd probably give it 8.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• In the Loop.

About very five minutes there’s a line that makes you think ooh I should use that. 

I did want to be to be able to say here are some parallels with Brexit but other than the general fuckwittery of politics I’m not sure I could. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Toni Erdmann

A lonely, late-middle-aged German man tries to rebuild his relationship with his adult daughter, by visiting her at her place of work in Bucharest.  This did well on the film festival circuit a few years ago and the trailer bills it as a rib-tickling comedy - which it most certainly isn't.  There are laughs to be found in some of the absurd, awkward and embarrassing situations which arise, but I found it mostly rather sad and quite moving.  Worth a watch if you've got 162 minutes to spare.