What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Fahrenheit 11/9 - Very interesting but utterly depressing. The stuff about the water supply and Trump's sexual fascination with his own daughter will have you turning your stomach.

Brawl On Cell Block 99 - This was a bit long and was wondering how it would differ from other violent prison movies but I enjoyed it. The way he fights the police officers was pretty laughable though. Like it was in slow motion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    edited September 2019
    The House That Jack Built

I'm never sure if Lars Von Trier sets out to be controversial or if it's just a by-product of the subjects which interest him.  This is pretty nasty at times, pretentious but always interesting.  Matt Dillon gives a very fine performance and it's good to see Bruno Ganz in one of his last screen appearances.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    edited September 2019
    Spider-man Far From Home

Fantastic, just as good as Homecoming, and only goes to show that Disney’s and Sony’s combined greed is fucking idiotic as both will make less money with Spidey outside of the MCU. Muppets.

EDIT - ESPECIALLY with <spoilers redacted to protect the innocent> at the end. Absolute masterstroke.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Baby Driver...My daughter recommended it and I avoided it but had some time to kill. I thought it was very good. I loved the corny action in sequence to the soundtrack
     The funny thing was I had been trying to find the name of a song that was used in Brassic as background. It took me ages as they were talking over it and Shazam wasn't having any of it. I ended up recording the track from the TV and looping the sections with no dialogue. It worked and the track was Egyptian Reggae. Two days later it appears in Baby Driver and named as well.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    A Serbian Film. Bonkers sexy chucklefest 5/5 and 2 thumbs up!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A Serbian Film. Bonkers sexy chucklefest 5/5 and 2 thumbs up!
    Really?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Elle by Paul Verhoeven.

A much lower body count than Robocop or Total Recall but an interesting if slightly twisted film.
    There's quite a lot going on so it never gets boring or slow.
    It's quite thought provoking which is how I like my films.
  • My youngest son was watching Stranger Than Fiction and I got drawn in. It’s not brilliant  it has a certain gentle charm. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    edited September 2019
    ICBM said:
    The Revenant

Leonardo DiCaprio improbably survives in the north American wilderness in winter. Fantastic cinematography, but despite the apparent intensity of DiCaprio's acting and some of the events I found it uninvolving, two-dimensional and predictable.

6/10
    I seem to remember wishing the bear had finished the job..
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Happy Death Day 2U

I liked Happy Death Day quite a lot.  The sequel - or retread - is less slasher movie, more comedy science-fiction and more soppy than mean-spirited.  It's completely unnecessary but enjoyable enough.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    12 Monkeys

Bruce Willis as a time traveller in a Terry Gilliam alternative future world.

I’d seen it before a long time ago, but MrsICBM hadn’t. Really very good - I’d remembered the basic plot so the ending wasn’t a surprise, but if anything that made it more interesting to follow how cleverly the threads are pulled together. It’s a bit slow to start with but progressively builds up momentum, which I think is deliberate.

Very typically Gilliam - MrsICBM remarked that some of it was a bit predictable, although more to do with imagery and characters than the story... but I would say less stylised than some of his other work. Willis is outstanding, although more subtle than Brad Pitt who got an Oscar nomination.

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    IT Chapter 2

8/10 - personally think I preferred the first one, but that scene with the old lady is probably the creepiest thing I've seen for a LONG time. Brilliant way to build suspense.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7708
    I watched The Predator on Sky. 

It was ok - pretty much as expected for a 5th or 6th go at the Predator thing. 

There was an odd moment where one of the character says "Get to the choppers!"

Then they appear on motorbikes. That aren't choppers. Nor helicopters. Odd. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    Philly_Q said:

I'm never sure if Lars Von Trier sets out to be controversial or if it's just a by-product of the subjects which interest him.  This is pretty nasty at times, pretentious but always interesting.  Matt Dillon gives a very fine performance and it's good to see Bruno Ganz in one of his last screen appearances.

IMO, universally all his films are absolute shit. Antichrist for example - jesus wept, grim as heck, totally miserable, and shite.

Another master of making shite films - M Knight Shitemalyan. He needs a stern word for his name for a start. I bet he's a real berk.

• Philly_Q said:
    earwighoney said:
    How was Fright Fest btw?

@earwighoney Pretty good this year.  Nothing absolutely mindbogglingly amazing, but look out for Bliss and Ready Or Not.  The latter is in the vein of You're Next and I would guess it'll get a general release.
    Thanks for the info.  A shame to hear there was nothing to really be blown away but Bliss sounds interesting,  I've not seen You're Next, I presume it's worth watching? 

Philly_Q said:

Another film I missed.  LVT is a very odd director, his films can be sometimes very difficult to watch not just for the content but IMO some of his films have pacing issues (eg Melancholia) but they are usually interesting and generally worth watching.  Have you seen his television show 'Kingdom'?  Of all his work I've come across it's probably my favourite of his, in terms of narrative there's quite a bit more restraint and I think it's all the better for it.  Again, it's very nasty at times but in an enjoyable way! 
    Snap said:
    Philly_Q said:

IMO, universally all his films are absolute shit. Antichrist for example - jesus wept, grim as heck, totally miserable, and shite.

I like to think of Antichrist as an arthouse version of The Evil Dead.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Rififi.

An old (1955) French heist film by Jules Dassin.
    Tells the story of a successful heist and its grisly aftermath.
    A really good, tense Film Noir. I like these old films because they tell their story realistically, quickly and succinctly without loads of over-emotional agonising and 20 minute long unrealistic fight scenes.
    Heartily recommended to anyone who likes old atmospheric B&W films.

Baby Driver.

Not bad but the main character was so annoying I kept hoping Jamie Foxx or anyone for that matter would shoot him in the face. Still, i'm glad I managed to get over his irritating behaviour to see the bigger picture.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7215
    The Patriot - Sir Mel Gibson reprises his role as William McBraveheart in this gore filled romp, but the action has shifted to the american war of ungratefulness. Jason Isaac hams it up as the evil corny Lord Wallis, cannonballs fly, muskets are drawn and detached limbs fill the screen. 

(look out for animal mother from full metal jacket as some soldier, although I'm not sure what side he's on due to them all having the same coats)

8 british colonies out of 13.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @earwighoney you should definitely see You're Next!

Back on Lars Von Trier, I think I've seen a couple of episodes of The Kingdom, but I don't really remember it - and I think I get it mixed up with Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital.  I've seen roughly half his films, I wouldn't say I'm a fan but I always find them interesting.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12542
    TimmyO said:
    I watched The Predator on Sky. 

It was ok - pretty much as expected for a 5th or 6th go at the Predator thing. 

There was an odd moment where one of the character says "Get to the choppers!"

Then they appear on motorbikes. That aren't choppers. Nor helicopters. Odd. 
    Watched this was fairly enjoyable.